Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
ACE Steering Wheel Play

On the big trip last year I experienced strong cross winds and too much steering wheel play. I changed my tire pressure for the front a bit lower but there are other methods.

If you improved (improved) your Ford V10 chassis, what did you do and what did you spend approximately?
ShadowT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
I'm going to have a Safe-T-Plus #41-180 installed soon before a big trip next month.
Let you know what I think when back.

Also .. Shadow have you ever looked into the F53 " cheap handling fix " sway bar link hole mod. ? A guy did it back in the summer of 2010 and started this thread which is still going on. Apparently many F53 chassis owners have tried it and all I've seen sing it's praises. I'm thinking of giving it a try.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...fix-72335.html
mgheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:34 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
I read through much of the linked post...and am thinking about it.

Some of the pics on the link have another type of steering control using springs attached to each front wheel (yellow bracket with silver springs). I was told by CW that safe T Plus was not effective due to the size attachment points for the shock brackets. The yellow spring type are. Both of these solutions help control the steering with bumps and flats. The link controls sway.

I don't know the right solution. It is all just more money.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
My local CW told me they only sell and install the Safe-T-Plus brand and not the spring one. Go Figure.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Safe-T-Plus did not help me in strong cross winds on my recent trip.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Safety T Plus should have helped your steering wheel extra play. It helps control you vehicle in case you hit pot holes, bumps in the road, of front tire blowouts.

Cross winds or when trucks or cars pass you can cause your RV to sway (roll) side to side. That is a different adjustment to the chassis leaf springs...see earlier "cheap fix" reference. There are more expensive options than the cheap fix that do the same thing for $500 plus on my area.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Just to add .. I had my local Ford service swap the sway bar link holes to the inner front and rear. Even the Ford Service Advisor thought it an idea worth trying out. He asked me to call him back after our big trip next month and let him know what I thought of it.

Only drove it 5 miles on Freeway home but very windy day and I noticed a positive difference.

For those of you who aren't familiar with this modification .. it's referred to here on the forums as the " cheap handling Fix " for F53 chassis's.

The thread started 2 years ago and is still going strong.
Apparently many people have tried it and all seem to like it.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgheron View Post
Just to add .. I had my local Ford service swap the sway bar link holes to the inner front and rear. Even the Ford Service Advisor thought it an idea worth trying out. He asked me to call him back after our big trip next month and let him know what I thought of it.

Only drove it 5 miles on Freeway home but very windy day and I noticed a positive difference.

For those of you who aren't familiar with this modification .. it's referred to here on the forums as the " cheap handling Fix " for F53 chassis's.

The thread started 2 years ago and is still going strong.
Apparently many people have tried it and all seem to like it.
my question is . if this works well why does ford (who has spent millions of $$$ designing and tweaking this chassis) not do it during the build
brianj
Old 04-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
That is one darn good question !
But I suspect it's all about production speed and money because on some heavier model frames they do connect the link arms to the " inner holes" and more to the real issue Ford has options for a Track bar and extra Heavy duty sway bars on all F53 chassis's that are an extra cost item to the RV builder. So most builders don't pay the extra cost to have them added and leave it up to the RV owner to add what he wants later. These are facts .. not opinions.

That's why the fellow that came up with this idea years ago calls it his " cheap handling fix ".
All I can say is if someone doesn't like it or doesn't want to try it ... just don't do it.
I know I chewed on it for a long time before I had it done.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Have you driven it any more?
Old 06-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
We did a 2,500 mile trip from California across the Mojave to Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Mesa Verde, Durango, Chaco Canyon and Meteor Crater and then back home. Whew!
Overall ACE 29.1 handled pretty well. Never more than a slight notice when being passed by big rigs except in very strong wind conditions.
In fact we spent a extra day in Winslow, AZ. because winds were at 40 mph with gusts up to 75.
A strong wind will make the tail wag which gets your attention quick.

The " quick fix" sway bar hole change made a noticeable improvement.
Now I'm thinking about adding a Trac Bar. Most of the F53's come with one but not our ' cheapie ' ACE.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #12

Just returned from trip to Black Hills.

Drove 11 Hours only stopping to fuel and eat, and boy was a tired! There were a number of 2 way traffic areas on I-90. And at the posted 65 mph, construction sticks on the hash lines and rumble stripes on the fog line. I'm glad I have no scratches. With the wind and passing trucks it was a battle keeping it
straight.

I think the Ace is rather light for its profile and it has small wheels. Therefore making it get tossed around easier. I did get 9 mpg with a tail wind and traveling at 66 mph the majority of the trip home to MN.

That little bit of wheel play is annoying to say the least. And my wheel looks like I'm turning a bit to the right when I am going straight. Anyone else have a crooked steering wheel?
Tv Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Yes My Steering wheel seems off just a 'hair' to me also. I'm going to get the alignment checked soon.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #14

My steering wheel is slightly to the left of center. There is a sticker that says it is aligned my the chassis manufacturer, not sure about that :-)
Harlee79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering