Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #1

Ace Tire valves or tpms

As my rv sits in winter storage, I can only sit and think about what else I need before spring arrives. We have the basic ACE. Does anyone know if it has rubber or metal valve stems? I saw one with paint at the show that had braided valve extenders.
What have other ace owners done? Valve extenders , rigid or braided and riveted to hub? or aftermarket tpms on the valves?
There is a lot of info on this site, but I would like to hear what other ace owners have done...
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2012, 06:53 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine has metal valve stems and on the duals there are the braided valve extenders. I don't know if they came with the MH or were added by the first owner.

gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
I'm looking at tpms for my ACE. I to have mine in winter storage and had a nice visit with it yesterday to start the engine and generator for about 10 minutes. I do it one a month. I know I have metal stems on my ACE, but it is the painted model with everything but rear TV. Looking at putting one in the bedroom too, hopefully this spring.. Going to the portland or RV show in early march and home to see some tpms dealers there? Not sure which brand I want, but think I want user replaceable batteries.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdhicks View Post
I'm looking at tpms for my ACE. I to have mine in winter storage and had a nice visit with it yesterday to start the engine and generator for about 10 minutes. I do it one a month. I know I have metal stems on my ACE, but it is the painted model with everything but rear TV. Looking at putting one in the bedroom too, hopefully this spring.. Going to the portland or RV show in early march and home to see some tpms dealers there? Not sure which brand I want, but think I want user replaceable batteries.
I just put on TST's 507 model. They have had good reviews by others and we can replace the batteries. A new sensor is coming out sometime around March that will allow you to add or take air out of a tire without taking off the sensor.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #5

Were they easy to install on the inner dual tire? Likewise are they easy to remove to add air, or can you inflate through them?
Old 02-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #6

Just realized you already have the valve extenders...... install would be easy i guess.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No problems to install the rear sensors (with the braided extensions). On the front I don't have any extensions and I had to take off the anti-theft cases to put them on.

The sensors have to be removed to add/delete air from the tires.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Thor is shipping my valve extenders. Yea baby! Thx Bill S. Thor has been very good to me.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post
I just put on TST's 507 model. They have had good reviews by others and we can replace the batteries. A new sensor is coming out sometime around March that will allow you to add or take air out of a tire without taking off the sensor.
I hope they have at least a prototype at the Good Sam rally in Phoenix in late March. They are testing them now. I guess I could have gotten in on the testing but the new ones are total valve stem replacement so yo have to have the tire broken down and the new valve inserted. I didn't want to pay to have that done unless the product is stable.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
I bought the Tire Minder TMG-400C for my ACE last Fall. It uses CR1632 batteries for the transmiitters on the valve stems and they are easy to replace. It is also easy to program (you can add extra transmitters) and it can monitor up to 22 tires for both pressure and temperature. The wireless receiver unit has its own cradle you can mount (suction cup) in the cockpit and uses a rechargeable battery.
Towertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Just bought my Tire Minder after procrastinating - back-ordered until mid-April, oh well but at a great price:
Tire Minder 6 Tire Wireless Monitoring System (6 sensors) with Booster $343.36 with 2-day shipping (Dyers) - no tax, -- beats CW
I really wanted them for safety and ease of setup...pressure and temperature, cheap batteries, good alarms. Can't wait.

I plan to install the Booster (signal repeater) high in the back cabinet above the bed and hard-wire it to the 12v power to the reading lamp. It will be a good spot when we have a toad if we get poor quality transmissions in high traffic or low battery conditions.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Installed Tire Minder TPMS today. Works well on ACE. Important notes:
1) Installing anti-theft locks must be done before installing sensors. The manual has you installing the sensors and pages later explains the locks "if" you are in a high theft area. These locks help the sensors from unscrewing.
2) The pressure you set on the tires, and check with gauges, is not the same as the sensors. Sensors have real pressure and temperature measuring capability but have a tolerance of + or - 4 PSI and + or - 5 degrees F. Readout is to XX.X. ex:85.2 PSI -- so all tires set pressures will be all over the place --- not what I expected -- sensor set is not matched.
3) I believe the pressure you enter into the unit is what sets the alarm pressure. Temp sensor is automatically alarmed at the factory trigger point above 167 degrees F + or - 5 degrees.

I still love it!!