RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #1

ACE Water Leak in cabin floor

So while dry camping I heard the water pump turn on and off. I awoke to find a puddle of water coming from underneath the sink onto the floor of my 29.1. I shut the water pump off and have not had any further indications of the leak. I moved last minute to a full hookup site and so far on city water I have not observed a leak. Any ideas or help is appreciated.

ThorEvo1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2014, 11:12 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Check your water sprayer.
Mine was loose at the top connection.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:13 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Sorry.
Missed the part about not leaking on the city water connection. 😞
Old 07-06-2014, 08:22 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Check the connections on the water faucet. They can slip off causing massive water dump into the cabinet and onto the floors and wicking up the walls. It has occurred to me several times over two years of living full-time. It first starts as an occasional leak until a complete slipping of the hose from the connection at the bottom of the faucet.

Take everything out of the pantry nearest the shower and reach up under the faucet to check for moisture. The hoses are held on by spring clips, replace them with hose clamps. High city water pressures can also cause the hoses to leak or slip off.
ShadowT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #5

Ok I can confirm after camping with city water connection I had no water leakage! It's only when dry camping with the water pump turned on that I have a leak. Further, I inspected the sink area and no leaks where detected. What is odd is where the water is leaking from. I've attached pictures to better explain. The water is leaking from where the wooden counter under the sink meets the floor. In other words the leak is above the laminate flooring but under the counter. To follow the leak I would have to remove the counter. The only other place I observed dripping water was on the "red line" that goes to the out side shower above the water pump.

Sorry for any confusion I'm just trying to explain this as best as possible. Ideally i'd like to fix the leak but wouldn't even have the slightest clue where to begin. It looks like an undertaking just to remove certain areas like the counter walls to find the leak…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	392.0 KB
ID:	67058   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	67059  

Old 07-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wonder if the water pump is putting out a higher pressure than the city water?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #7

The leak has to be where the two systems tie together, there would be a double check valve set-up to isolate the pump when on city water and vise versa, find that connection and you'll find your leak.
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:00 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
The only point I know, where the two water sources meet, is where the water pump stops city water from continuing to the clean water tank. Look at the schematic of the water lines. There is no other valve between the water supplies except the pump on a 29.1.

I have leaked in the areas described. If the under sink area is dry. inspect the water source at the commode. The water at the flush valve can leak. The higher pressure city water can stop the leak at that location by seating the valve better.

Change your water source and then wrap paper towels around the flush valve to check for a slow leak. A leak there can make a stream into the cabinet area.
ShadowT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowT View Post
The only point I know, where the two water sources meet, is where the water pump stops city water from continuing to the clean water tank. Look at the schematic of the water lines. There is no other valve between the water supplies except the pump on a 29.1.

I have leaked in the areas described. If the under sink area is dry. inspect the water source at the commode. The water at the flush valve can leak. The higher pressure city water can stop the leak at that location by seating the valve better.

Change your water source and then wrap paper towels around the flush valve to check for a slow leak. A leak there can make a stream into the cabinet area.
This makes sense because when the leak started the only thing being used at the time was the commode. When I checked the sink area all the wood panels were dry. It appeared as if the source of the water came from the toilet area and leaked under the sink area out onto the main floor. If indeed the city water just disguises the problem by seating the valve how could I go about fixing it? When you say flush valve are you describing the paddle to flush?
Old 07-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #10

It has to have at least 2 check valves:
Old 07-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #11

Upon reflection, I suppose you could rely on the pump check valve to isolate the tank and the city water inlet could integrate a check valve.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivraton View Post
Upon reflection, I suppose you could rely on the pump check valve to isolate the tank and the city water inlet could integrate a check valve.
Thank you. I called thor this morning and they are baffled as to why I would only have the leak when using the water pump. I am curious to see if I turned the water pump on again if I'd still have the leak but am hesitant to cause any additional damage (it was a substantial amount of water and I'm worried it's piling up somewhere out of view). Don't know if I should have a technician take things apart and look for the leak or if it was just something that fixed itself such as the valve...
Old 07-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by George1285 View Post
Thank you. I called thor this morning and they are baffled as to why I would only have the leak when using the water pump. I am curious to see if I turned the water pump on again if I'd still have the leak but am hesitant to cause any additional damage (it was a substantial amount of water and I'm worried it's piling up somewhere out of view). Don't know if I should have a technician take things apart and look for the leak or if it was just something that fixed itself such as the valve...
I don't believe a leak will "fix itself" they generally only get worse, As to the commode being the only thing in use at the time, The pump was pressurizing the entire system. If the leak was at the toilet valve it should have been easily observed. If I were troubleshooting the system for leaks I would use regulated air pressure and bubble solution, rather than chance pumping water all over the rig... all of the connections that could be the leak source should be accessible. When you say sink, are you referring to the kitchen sink?
Old 07-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivraton View Post
I don't believe a leak will "fix itself" they generally only get worse, As to the commode being the only thing in use at the time, The pump was pressurizing the entire system. If the leak was at the toilet valve it should have been easily observed. If I were troubleshooting the system for leaks I would use regulated air pressure and bubble solution, rather than chance pumping water all over the rig... all of the connections that could be the leak source should be accessible. When you say sink, are you referring to the kitchen sink?
Yes, I am referring to the kitchen sink. I spoke to a knowledgable technician today who told me based on my observations what may have happened is that my water heater which may have been left on built pressure and then released the water through a valve...

Tags
leak, water, water leak