Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #1

Adding 1 or 2 extra batteries

I am planning on a little dry camping this fall, would like to have a little additional battery power besides the 2 that came with the coach. I don't have a lot of room in that compartment for anymore, but I'll try and figure that out. Has anyone added 1 or 2 additional, and was it worth the time to do it. I assume yes, but always looking towards the experienced person who has done it.
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #2

Well, if you have two 6V batteries in series right now, and you want to add more, you need to add two more 6V batteries in series as well.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On my rig the design of the battery tray wasn't thought thru very well and it will only hold three batteries but the compartment is big enough for four. Consider having a new tray made at a local metal shop.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have two 6 volt in the original location - under the steps. Plus another two 6 volt in a storage bay on the other side. The 2 pairs are interconnected with 1/0 wires. Best to co-locate all the batteries if possible, but if not a setup like mine works ok. The additional pair of batteries makes dry camping much easier, IMHO. We have six 100w solar panels to do the charging, and a 300w inverter.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #5

My battery compartment will fit 1 additional in the tray area, but that's it. I found a neat bracket on a jeep web site that you can mount up higher or on the frame that holds 2 additional batteries. That may be an option. I want them to fit in the same compartment.

Seems like there are a lof oof possible choices here:
Google
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
I have a 2012 ACE 29.1 that came with 2 of the 12V Marine style " Hybrid" batteries located in the comparment that they share with the leveling jacks hydrualic pump. After 1 year both of those 12V went south due to dry camping use.
I found a heavy duty battery pull out tray that fits in the comparment and holds 4 6V Golf-cart style batteries. So I bought 4 6V batteries and installed them last year.
This gives me almost 3 times as much reserve Amp Hrs. of juice for dry camping as did the 2 12V so called Hybrids.
There is no 12V battery made that is designed to be drained down and then recharged repeatedly. Only the 6V Golf cart style are designed and built for that type of useage.
mgheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgheron View Post
I have a 2012 ACE 29.1 that came with 2 of the 12V Marine style " Hybrid" batteries located in the comparment that they share with the leveling jacks hydrualic pump. After 1 year both of those 12V went south due to dry camping use.
I found a heavy duty battery pull out tray that fits in the comparment and holds 4 6V Golf-cart style batteries. So I bought 4 6V batteries and installed them last year.
This gives me almost 3 times as much reserve Amp Hrs. of juice for dry camping as did the 2 12V so called Hybrids.
There is no 12V battery made that is designed to be drained down and then recharged repeatedly. Only the 6V Golf cart style are designed and built for that type of useage.

The last statement is not correct. There are 12 volt deep cycle batteries designed for just such usage.
Don't confuse 12 volt deep cycles with 12 volt hybrids. They are engineered for different purposes.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I added one additional battery, basically the exact same battery as the other 2 that are currently in there. FYI there is plenty of room behind the two batterys to add an additional on without any problems.

Also, I am not a battery guru, but I did read a great article by a battery guru, the jest of it is that it is recommended to have all your batteries be similar in type, size and capacity. This way they all drain the same and recharge the same equally.

Good luck!
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Another item almost always over looked is the charger.
The charger must be able to provide 25 amps per battery for a proper charging
system.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #10

Portable Solar Systems | Zamp Solar
Randog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I have two 6 volt in the original location - under the steps. Plus another two 6 volt in a storage bay on the other side. The 2 pairs are interconnected with 1/0 wires. Best to co-locate all the batteries if possible, but if not a setup like mine works ok. The additional pair of batteries makes dry camping much easier, IMHO. We have six 100w solar panels to do the charging, and a 300w inverter.
Oops. I meant 3000w inverter.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I bought my used 2000 hr, it had one 12v marine battery for a house battery. I requested the selling dealer put in a second one. They still went almost dead, after 4 days of not being plugged in when I got back home.

I measured the area, and I had 15x22 inches. After some calculations I found I had room for 4 Trojan t105s. I also bought an IQ 4 adapter for my 55 amp converter charger. Now my converter is a 3 way charger.

Measure your area in your battery tray, you may have more room than you thought.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #13

I have a 2013 Challenger 37GT I added 2 more 6volt batteries in the front under the hood, one on each side to make sure they did not interfere with air flow to the engine. I also added solar panels to keep them charged. works great.
okiefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #14

More battery capacity is great, but being able to charge your batteries adequately is more important.

More batteries will let you go longer without charging them, but not much longer. If you are draining your batteries faster than you are charging them, then you will eventually run them down no matter how many batteries you have...

A modest solar setup will cost about the same as a Honda or Yamaha 1000i generator...

RV Solar power installation
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries