Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #1

adding 2nd a/c on 34 ft damon challenger

I am adding a 2nd ac to a 94 Challenger. The current unit is in the middle of 3 roof openings. Any recommendations for spacing on new and/or old roof units?

txs, Dan
mx08453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx08453 View Post
I am adding a 2nd ac to a 94 Challenger. The current unit is in the middle of 3 roof openings. Any recommendations for spacing on new and/or old roof units?

txs, Dan
Hi Dan,...Welcome!....

Just a few things to think about....Is the current A/C ducted? Do you know the BTU's? have you checked the temp difference between in and out?
Maybe just needs charged or replaced....
On a 94 model ..is the roof in good condition? If it is orignal ..might want to consider replacement..then you can put 2 a/c's where you want...new vents ..etc; Also if 30 amp service...and generator..won't be able to run at the same time....unless you convert to 50 amp..
Richard
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #3

Txs for your thoughts
The installed Coleman is ducted and is in center opening.
I notice that when other Class A have 2 a/c units they are in front and rear.
My rear opening appears prewired, haven't checked front opening.
Am aware of concerns about current draw with shore power. Generator is 5500 KW, so OK
Roof is still reasonable.
I haven't checked temp drop in existing unit but likely greater that 20 degrees.
Newer unit is 30.
Tempted to mount in front opening, but concerned about fishing the 12 gage wire to junction boxes. Would not tie into the duct system unless someone convinced me that it is possible or necessary.
newer unit is Dometic 13,500, old one unknown btu
we also consider the 2nd one an backup,,,,
txs
dan
Old 07-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx08453 View Post
Txs for your thoughts
The installed Coleman is ducted and is in center opening.
I notice that when other Class A have 2 a/c units they are in front and rear.
My rear opening appears prewired, haven't checked front opening.
Am aware of concerns about current draw with shore power. Generator is 5500 KW, so OK
Roof is still reasonable.
I haven't checked temp drop in existing unit but likely greater that 20 degrees.
Newer unit is 30.
Tempted to mount in front opening, but concerned about fishing the 12 gage wire to junction boxes. Would not tie into the duct system unless someone convinced me that it is possible or necessary.
newer unit is Dometic 13,500, old one unknown btu
we also consider the 2nd one an backup,,,,
txs
dan

Well Dan,... As they say in Texas, Don't mess with Texas!!.. I would install a new 15,000 btu ac unit and be done with it... You didn't say if you had any slides but 15,000 btu's should blow ya out ...AZ would be different...And ya don't have to modify anything...
Richard
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ive got the same issue. I added the ac in the rear. I want to move the front ac forward to the front most vent. I would need to extend the wiring for the ac/thermostat. I was thinking of cutting the opening in the support for the ducted ac. The front isnt set up for the ducting, so it would have to be modified. I would also need to figure out how to seal up the center mounted ac ducting. Its alot of work, but will it be worth it? I'd like to add the fantastic fan to the center vent opening, replacing the ac unit.
Hurricane Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #6

What are your experiences with the 2 units in middle and rear ports?

I may do middle and rear to save wiring hassles.

txs
dan
Old 07-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #7

I neglected to ask, what has been your experience with the vehicle engine a/c. Mine is slim to none, but i guess you have to consider the huge amount of glass.
txs
dan
Old 07-26-2011, 12:13 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would run my only ac and the dash at the same time to keep from sweating the whole drive. I assume that moving the front ac would help keep me much cooler on the drive. Its almost right above the drivers area. The heat builds up after a few hours of driving. In my case it may help, but not sure if its worth the trouble. The rear ac is much cooler, the rear bedroom is pretty much closed off from the rest of the coach. The ducted air helps distribute the air, but not quite enough. There is an unbalance front to rear.
Hurricane Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #9

I have 2 AC's in my Hurricane, front and rear. However only one (rear) will run with generator, I also have some plugs under the bed thinking that it will allow me to switch between front and rear A/C but not checked yet.

I met a guy with an Allegro Bus with one A/C and he helped me solve my "burning up" after driving for an hour (using the drivers A/C and rear A/C. His secret was a small oscillating fan placed in the center blowing towards the driver.

Works like a charm. I sweat my arse off on my 5.5 hour ride home from the dealer. The knob on the driver A/C broke (the D on the back) could not turn the setting to the coldest setting. I have since replaced the knob.

I am new to RVing and I assume you use the generator for the rear A/C while travelling or do they work with just the house batteries?

TIA

JR
jrwolfman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwolfman1 View Post

I am new to RVing and I assume you use the generator for the rear A/C while travelling or do they work with just the house batteries?

TIA

JR

This Summer (whew) I've been doing it on every trip. Love those built-in gennys.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote