Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2015, 11:07 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Are 2 batteries sufficient

Taking delivery on a 2016 Challenger next week. Comes with 2 house batteries. Is two enough, or should I add two more?

Sanford
Sanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2015, 11:10 AM   #2

More is better if you ever boondock. I have 4 and am planning to add an additional 2.

Congratulations and good luck!
Old 09-30-2015, 11:34 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats on the new rig!

Two batteries could be just what you need. The problem is you would have to give us much more info to really know if that is the case.

My suggestion is; Read up on RV batteries. Install a good battery meter. Use your RV as is and monitor your usage.

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:40 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Depends on your use and the batteries themselves. Our Dutch Star had 4 Interstate U-2200's and did OK. Our present rig has 4 8D 12V batteries, each of them is equiv to two of the U-2200's. And so far that's been sufficient, but we don't stay unhooked for weeks at a time either. We also have 400 Watts of solar and a 12.5 KW gen set so we're not totally dependent on batteries.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:47 AM   #5

Depends totally how you plan to use the thing. Staying in campgrounds with electric, then just one is more than enough. If you plan to dry camp / boondock or stay overnight at Walmarts then two will be marginal, more would be better.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:15 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
No,not enough if you spend a cool fall evening/night not plugged in.

Bob
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:11 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
When we had our Itasca Suncruiser, we only had 2 coach batteries and that is all we ever needed. We spent most of our time dry camping at the sand dunes with our atv's. In the evening and in the morning we would run the generator for an hour or so and that was about all was necessary.

But...

We didn't watch much tv off of the inverter and our fridge was on propane. I never once gave it any thought to add 2 more batteries, for one there wasn't any room for them, and two the onboard charger probably wasn't big enough.

I would try it out a few times before going to the trouble and expense of adding 2 more. You may find running the generator a little more often to be no big deal. It's funny what some folks consider an absolute must have to camp.
Agaveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:16 PM   #8

2 batteries are not enough for the Chateau 31W

18 cuft residential fridge uses 6.5 amps at 120V AC + .75 amp inverter + line loss and the inverter is about 80% efficiency.
2 Interstate group 27s will not power the fridge for much more than 6 hours. 11.5 volts and the fridge starts with a clunk , clunk ( struggles to start ). I have unplugged all the TV's, installed a separate radio power switch in the bedroom, and turned off the ice maker.
??? How long will the generator need to top off the batteries?
??? Will a 3rd battery of 4th help me?
We like to dry camp alot in the National Forest. I do not want to be the a**hole
with the generator running 3-4 hours a day
An onan 4000 uses .71gph loaded, 120v ac, 33.3 amps--- how many amps does the house battery charger send to the batteries?
How many amps does the engine alternator send to the batteries?

Is anyone looking at a solar system? 400-480 watts
Carlmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:19 PM   #9

18 cuft residential fridge uses 6.5 amps at 120V AC + .75 amp inverter + line loss and the inverter is about 80% efficiency.
2 Interstate group 27s will not power the fridge for much more than 6 hours. 11.5 volts and the fridge starts with a clunk , clunk ( struggles to start ). I have unplugged all the TV's, installed a separate radio power switch in the bedroom, and turned off the ice maker.
??? How long will the generator need to top off the batteries?
??? Will a 3rd battery of 4th help me?
We like to dry camp alot in the National Forest. I do not want to be the a**hole
with the generator running 3-4 hours a day
An onan 4000 uses .71gph loaded, 120v ac, 33.3 amps--- how many amps does the house battery charger send to the batteries?
How many amps does the engine alternator send to the batteries?

Is anyone looking at a solar system? 400-480 watts
Old 10-05-2015, 06:28 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Carlmatt,

You may want to start a new thread. You asked a lot of questions.

I will make one suggestion; Get a meter (trimetric) or similar. This will help you with most of your questions. It will also go nicely with any solar install.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:13 PM   #11

Cpap machine

Anyone using a CPAP machine while boondocking? Without the generator going all night? How many batteries would it take?
gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:17 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosman View Post
Anyone using a CPAP machine while boondocking? Without the generator going all night? How many batteries would it take?
Yep, I do, but we have 4 8D wet cells so no problems for us even with the home refer and running two TV's and sat boxes.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford View Post
Taking delivery on a 2016 Challenger next week. Comes with 2 house batteries. Is two enough, or should I add two more?

Sanford
Do not buy a vehicle with a residental fridge unless you are planning to plug in every night.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Carlmatt,

You may want to start a new thread. You asked a lot of questions.

I will make one suggestion; Get a meter (trimetric) or similar. This will help you with most of your questions. It will also go nicely with any solar install.
I asked a lot of questions, and i did not learn anything from this forum site

Tags
batteries