Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2016, 09:26 PM   #1

Are Thor RV's any good?

So I took my wife into GrinnsRV in Gilroy Ca. to check out the new stock. I plan to retire in 3 1/2 yeas and wanted to upgrade my 2007 Gulf Stream Crescendo. So we looked around and met one salesman who then passed us to Jack due to us saying we were just looking. So this place is mainly a Thor dealer and he showed us a Palazzo 36.1. Very nice coach, there are a couple of things I was not too happy with but for the most part liked the rig. So I went online and found there are a lot of complaints about the large slide. I am not able to see anything any more current than 2014. I brought this up to Jack he said they have upgraded the slide to a 3x slide with 3 motors on each side. While looking at the Thor website I saw the Areia which is a new product for 2017 and it would be at the Pomona RV show this past week and I was not able to attend. It does look a lot like the Palazzo but the configuration is slightly different which resolved the complaints i was having. Plus it has something I never thought about and that is solar. I really am excited now but not to sure about their quality control. Anyone have any Ideas. Buy now or wait for retirement?
MSPadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2016, 09:46 PM   #2

Might try the Thor Industries forums

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/

Old 10-22-2016, 10:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Thor is over 22 Brands of RV's from Airstream Travel Trailers, and Coleman Pop-tops, to the motorhomes of Thor Motor Coach (TMC).

The Palazzo is TMC's entry level Diesel Pusher and TMC makes 4 other DP model lines that climb the price point "ladder" to the Tuscany.
TMC is also 8 model lines of gas Class A's and many, many Class C's.

These are all beautiful RV's that are made of very good components that are readily available (no one-offs to require custom repairs or service) sold at a price point that few if any other brands can match. Because of this, sales are great.

The one thing that this sales model does not provide is blind loyalty by owners like seen with other brands that demand a higher price point.

Like any RV purchase, with due diligence you will be very happy. There is a $50,000 difference between the Palazzo and the Aria. This can be seen in everything from the chassis to the fixtures.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:17 AM   #4

The new ARIA model is a Palazzo on a XCR chassis(rather than the 'shorter' XCS) and gives you the more 'normal' chassis bay doors and basement, sits higher, has ceramic/hard style flooring, slightly more hp, some solar, etc.

Yes, it's a nice option to the Palazzo, and for only a 'small' bump in pricing - which is very temping.

Thor products are similar to other manufacturers in that you will always find loyalty for the Model, but will also find build quality and warranty issues with any of them. Many times it's the 'product' that may have issues, such as the original Schwintec designed slide in-wall mechanism that has since been pretty much resolved. These products are installed in many different manufacturers coaches, so the main difference is floor plan, colors, finishes, furniture style, etc.

Thor has terrific customer service, and their service center can handle warranty issues better than any dealer.

Thor is a large company, with many subsidiary manufacturers, such as Airstream and most recently Entegra coach/Jayco. They would not be the industry leader if they did not have products that customers desired, but no manufacturer is perfect in every way.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #5

Aria vs plazzio or Tuscany XTE

My husband an I got a chance to look at then aria 3601 in person yesterday. I would say the aria is closer to the Tuscany XTE. Same engine, chassis, and quality. But has a more "boxy" look.
Only factory options you can add to the aria are cockpit TV, and pull down bunk (not availble in the xtc).
If it was up to me, I'd defiantly choose the aria over the palazzo.
DeMartini RV Sales, northern cal, has one in stock with pictures on line.

Negatives that I saw, awning is attached to the side of coach, lose covered area due to passenger side slide. Only one outlet in kitchen to the left of the sink? Only "satelLite ready". Induction cooktop, counter extender for 3601 is attached to drawer. No option for replacing booth dinette with chairs.

Positives, already wired for solar with a 100w panel, 10k hitch, most "add one" included as standard. One piece molded shower. King bed, Available pull down bunk.

We are in the market for a motor home, just sold our 35 foot 5th wheel. Must haves; the shorted the better, quality construction, king bed.
Current plan is to wait until spring, and order what we want after attending the local rv show. We did that when we bought the 5th wheel, and got a great price due to manufacturers incentives.

Our short list includes, leaning toward gas for the cost savings
Tiffin allegro 32sa or 34PA (gas)
Tiffin allegro red 33aa
And now Thor aria 3601
Smc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:25 AM   #6
KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPadgett View Post
So I took my wife into GrinnsRV in Gilroy Ca. to check out the new stock. I plan to retire in 3 1/2 yeas and wanted to upgrade my 2007 Gulf Stream Crescendo. So we looked around and met one salesman who then passed us to Jack due to us saying we were just looking. So this place is mainly a Thor dealer and he showed us a Palazzo 36.1. Very nice coach, there are a couple of things I was not too happy with but for the most part liked the rig. So I went online and found there are a lot of complaints about the large slide. I am not able to see anything any more current than 2014. I brought this up to Jack he said they have upgraded the slide to a 3x slide with 3 motors on each side. While looking at the Thor website I saw the Areia which is a new product for 2017 and it would be at the Pomona RV show this past week and I was not able to attend. It does look a lot like the Palazzo but the configuration is slightly different which resolved the complaints i was having. Plus it has something I never thought about and that is solar. I really am excited now but not to sure about their quality control. Anyone have any Ideas. Buy now or wait for retirement?
With any MH get a good dealer, I don't care who makes it. Second find one that works for you, floor plan, and options.

KC
Old 10-24-2016, 08:27 AM   #7
KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smc1 View Post
My husband an I got a chance to look at then aria 3601 in person yesterday. I would say the aria is closer to the Tuscany XTE. Same engine, chassis, and quality. But has a more "boxy" look.
Only factory options you can add to the aria are cockpit TV, and pull down bunk (not availble in the xtc).
If it was up to me, I'd defiantly choose the aria over the palazzo.
DeMartini RV Sales, northern cal, has one in stock with pictures on line.

Negatives that I saw, awning is attached to the side of coach, lose covered area due to passenger side slide. Only one outlet in kitchen to the left of the sink? Only "satelLite ready". Induction cooktop, counter extender for 3601 is attached to drawer. No option for replacing booth dinette with chairs.

Positives, already wired for solar with a 100w panel, 10k hitch, most "add one" included as standard. One piece molded shower. King bed, Available pull down bunk.

We are in the market for a motor home, just sold our 35 foot 5th wheel. Must haves; the shorted the better, quality construction, king bed.
Current plan is to wait until spring, and order what we want after attending the local rv show. We did that when we bought the 5th wheel, and got a great price due to manufacturers incentives.

Our short list includes, leaning toward gas for the cost savings
Tiffin allegro 32sa or 34PA (gas)
Tiffin allegro red 33aa
And now Thor aria 3601
What do you plan to tow as a Towed? That might make a difference on what you buy.

KC
Old 10-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
KC is spot on with an addition from our experience - that is a trustworthy dealer for service (warranty and otherwise). I bought from a local dealer, thinking it would be easier for service. Local didn't mean competent though. Looking on line you can find a good price - but only relative experience is the true test of service. We stop in at Camping Worlds for an occasional oil change when we are traveling and it is the best option. But check on the various RV forums to find out how CW is for repairs - not so good.

But first (as KC says) - outline your requirements for floor plan and option - then buy.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:38 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Miramar 34.3 superslide issues

Anyone that told you there are three motors on each side does not know the Thor Schwinteck super slide system. I bought a 2017 Thor Miramar 34.3 and have had nothing but problems with the slide (as well as a number of other issues). The system has a 500/1 small cylinder motor design (one on each side) with synchronization box that communicates with each motor.

The system stinks.... I have been back to the dealer 4 times and now have to bring it back to Indiana to have them take it apart.
laberj45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:31 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Laberj45,

So sorry for your troubles. Schwintek is in 70 brands of RV's now according to LCI's website. I am not saying it is a good system...but it is common.

Because of this, IMHO there should be mandatory training for owners about these drive systems (it's used in drop down bunks too).

-First, they are power hungry. Always run the slide drive with charging to the batteries (engine or shore/gennie power).
-Next, move the slide in 1 movement. Do not stop once it is started until it hits the open or closed stops (emergency excepted, of course). If stopped, do not continue...return to starting point.
-Finally, when the slide stops (opened or closed) continue to hold the button for 3-5 seconds after the slide stops. Listen for a tattle-tail "whirr-whir". This syncs the 2 motors through electronic resistance. This does not hurt the system and is required since there is no mechanical connection on the 2 sides.

The makers LOVE this system (2 Track or 3Trax) because it is light and saves a bunch of space in the bins...but the factories and some dealers are failing buyers without proper training on how to use it.

Best luck and safe travel
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #11

I guess Thor wised-up and on my coach you cannot move the slides/bed unless you have shore/generator power. Running the engine won't help. You are correct in that Thor and MHSRV stressed that slides and bed MUST be run to the full length plus 3 to 5 seconds. If you need to stop half way out, then the slide should be fully retracted and then re-deployed. That works also on the overhead bed. On the road, it creeps down against the locks. To remove the locks, you need to go full up. Several times we have tried to lower the bed with the captain's chairs full up. It is necessary to raise the bed full-up, lay the captain's chairs back three notches and then lower the bed fully. Stopping the bed partway down, lowering the seat backs and then continuing down is no recommended.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:52 PM   #12

Are Thor RV's any good

We just bought out second RV - a Thor Hurricane 31S. Fortunately the floor plan works perfectly for us. Unfortunately, we are very unhappy Thor's customer service and factory service. Out of frustration we drove from Nevada to the factory in Indiana and waited over 2 days only to have our problem unresolved. We have slider issues, seat issues, floor issues and other minor items we will resolve on our own. We were told to have the dealer make the repairs. Our dealer is new to Thor and has probably sold less than a dozen in the last year. Their service department is adequate, but they have little or no experience with Thor. They are having their own problems with Thor in terms of delays getting parts (we have waited 6 weeks for parts only to be told by Thor "they are in the mail", and problems being reimbursed for warranty repair costs. Actually, the dealer is loosing money on warranty repair as Thor does not fully compensate the dealer for work.
There is no quality control. We toured the plant while we waited for repairs, and the plant is filthy with debris all over the floor and in units under assembly. OSHA would run out of paper writing up issues with the plant.
Someone advised to check the forums which is excellent advice.
Also, on all floor plans, check with the width of the aisle when the sliders are fully retracted. We found on some floor plans it was impossible to get to the bathroom without extending the sliders. A little difficult as you are driving down the road.
Good luck in your hunt
movingtara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs, thor