RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #1

Aria 3601

We are moving up from our 31ft fifth wheel to a motor home.
After looking at at a number of gas and diesel models and manufacturers we have settled on an Aria 3601.
Why? From an initial quality view everything seemed better built and laid out. We also watched a 90 min video going through all of the design decisions.
We got our best deal from our closet dealer, so all is great, right?
Well we have one RV friend who dislikes Thor and is casting dispersions on our decision.
So like all buyers we are looking for validation for our decision.
Most advice to date is be ready to fix issues, nature of the beast. We were blessed with few issues on our fifth wheel. So we are entering the frey again.

Polishilldav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2017, 05:51 PM   #2

we own one and would buy another, especially the Aria and Venetian models...

Thor is a corporate ownership of many different RV manufacturers, not a manufacturer themselves, such as Airstream, Entegra Coach, Jayco, though the ThorMotorCoach division, which builds the Aria, Palazzo, Venetian, Tuscany and other gas units, carries the Thor name prominently.

With over 60,000 miles in 2 1/2 years, across country and Canada several times, we've learned that all coaches will have some issues here and there, some large and some small. Thor service center in Wakarusa is great and compares handily with any of the other service centers at Entegra, Newmar, or AmericanCoach/Fleetwood.

...one thing I've learned about 'talk' is this: listen with a large grain of salt.

my Dad, who has had many years of experience with Airstream trailers, and many more years in the RV service business, told me, when we decided to purchase a home on wheels and go full time, to "don't buy a Coachmen, they are junk...".... hmmm. The first motorhome we considered buying was the Coachmen Mirada, though we actually went thru several RVs, including a fifth-wheel and a ClassA gas unit, before we finally set on our Palazzo. But, what I've seen from Coachmen, and having actually delivered several of their gas units from the factory to dealers, is that they have come a LONG way from their industry perception from many years ago. They have created great diesel and gas motorhome products, as well, and they will stack up to Thor, Newmar, Fleetwood, Entegra or any of the others.

Dad, sorry, but your 'talk' is too many years removed from today's reality...

Buy your new Aria, and make use of Thor's great coach service center for professional warranty and repair work - you'll be impressed.

MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:09 PM   #3

I have a Tuscany 40KQ now and like it. It is our 4th new coach and they all had their share of problems. The Tuscany was no exception one way or the other.
Service center has been great and took care of the problems. Dealers w ere hopeless, which is is why I told them give me my coach back and I will take to the factory. Most frustrations stem forth out of dealers not repairing the problems. Any given brand will have some initial problems.
Harry B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:01 PM   #4

Took ownership of the Aria 3601 today. It is at the dealers fixing some small cosmetic issues and we will go back with our tow vehicle to get base plate installed and hit the road.
We have "Newmar" friend that is predicting doom, but are taking your advice a bushel of salt.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:46 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dave,

Have you picked up your coach Yet?

Gary
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:30 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
I think you will like the Aria. I looked at a lot of different makes and models and was just about to pull the trigger on the Aria 3601 and the really only reason I didn't was because the dealer closer to me only carried the Venetian which is just one step up. I got the G36 which if you closed your eyes you would think it was the Aria. Same front entry,drop down bunk, 4 slides, king bed, etc. Only it goes to the big block with 380hp and can upgrade to more if needed. Really like the floorplan but as is the case with new units, plan to go back to shop often during first year. Thor is helping out a lot.....but dealers are not very useful.
Hint. Contact Firefly direct for information on the multiplex wiring setup. Dealer didn't know much about it and I had to update some software and the touchpad to get everything to work properly. Good now.
SoCal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:19 AM   #7

We are heading back on Friday to get the Blue Ox system put on Deb's car and then match up with the Aria and bring it home.
We found a better storage location, closer to home, that has reserved spaces. We need to get PA plates and also inspection. We will take it up to our lake spot around May 25/26.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:50 AM   #8

Polishilldav and SoCal13

I am taking delivery of a 3601 next week with a build date of December 2016. I was wondering what your build dates are? I am concerned about the multiplex system working correctly
Teblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:53 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Regarding your concerns about the multiplex system, I think you will be ok. It is a very nice system but I think I just got either a defective touch panel or one with the wrong software on it. It all seems to work great now. Go ahead an buy some extra batteries for the "satellite" panels as I think mine were about dead when I got the coach. Can't remember but think they are CR125 or something like that. Lucky they are really cheap batteries so good to keep some spares anyway.
During my discussions with Firefly I suggested they put together a manual or sorts for coach builders to put into their owners manuals. They said they were working on that so maybe you will get something with your coach?
SoCal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:00 PM   #10

Thanks for the information on the multiplex system. Everything seemed to work when we were looking at the coach, but probably did not check everything. Will make sure we do at the PDI. Good idea about the batteries.

We are excited to get it and get going.

Ron

Teblues is offline   Reply With Quote