RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2018, 06:31 PM   #1

Aria Patio awning question

We have a 2018 Aria 3901, which has a 20 ft patio awning. I've purchased an awning extender and want to be able to disable the auto-retract for when the extender is in place. Pulling the fuse or breaker seems the easiest solution, since there's no "off" switch provided on the Firefly control pad for the awning, just extend and retract. I think that breaker is incorporated in the Firefly g6 panel, but 1) I don't see any way to identify which one of the breakers corresponds to that awning, and 2) If I could identify which one, is it possible to manually trip these 12 watt breakers by pulling them out?

Thanks, Bob

Sunraydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2018, 07:09 AM   #2

Oops, I meant 12 volt breakers...

Bob

Old 02-22-2018, 12:36 PM   #3

Following. Same boat, same sail. Never thought about this as this is our first MH with an electric awning.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:34 PM   #4

If your coach has the carefree awnings without the support arms it is equipped with a motion sensor to protect it from wind damage. It is not advisable to ever deactivate the motion sensor. The problem is there is no way to trip the breakers on the G6 panel only reset them. This is my second coach with the Carefree awning and I'm not a fan of them. The only way I can think of to turn the awning off would be to trace the wiring and put a mechanical switch in the circuit.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:55 AM   #5

Thanks.
I did some more checking and talked to Firefly, they sent me the relevant manual and touchpad layout for our coach, and it turns out that the awning channels are 19 and 20 to extend and retract the door awning, and 34/33 for the patio. These are labelled as momentary, meaning they only draw power when the touchpad is pushed--the LED corresponding to that channel lights up when that happens, and goes out when the touchpad is released. There is a channel 59a labelled patio awning power, but I've not seen it light up. So, it appears that the auto-retract on our unit may be effectively disabled already, since that panel shows no power going to either awning except when they are being extended or retracted. The Firefly guy was inclined to agree with this, but suggested I check with Thor, since they wired the coach and may have a work around in place that he wouldn't know about.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:16 AM   #6

Talked to Thor and the tech rep put me on hold to ask somebody. He came back to say that the auto-retract did work and that there was power to that awning controller, though he couldn't supply specifics. I'm going to test that awning with a broom just to confirm, will post what happens.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:17 AM   #7

Well, it does work, though heaven knows where it's drawing power from relative to the Firefly panel. So AL is right, now I gotta figure out a way to get a switch in that circuit to feel good about putting my awning extension in. I could disconnect the connectors at the motor, but that would be a pain...snap off the cover, disconnect the connectors, etc every time? I'll see what I can do with the switch idea, if anyone has any ideas please let us know.

Bob and Jan
2018 Aria 3901
Old 02-24-2018, 10:27 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have dual Carefree Apex awnings with wind sensor. Luckily they put in an on/off switch in that shuts off all awning power including the Girard power window awnings. The wind sensors on the Apex awnings seem to be too sensitive and there's no adjustment so I just turn the switch off. However O would not hang anything from the main awnings because of the possible damage caused by a wind gust.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #9

I wanted to add a front screen to our owning to block shade. I called Carefree with some questions about that and was told NOT to add the screen to the awning because it could not handle the weight along with the extra wind it would create. Just thought I'd pass that along.

Tags
awning