Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2015, 01:12 PM   #15

Automatic Transfer Switch

Ok Folks....
Here's the latest update. Oh, before I start, I'm sure it's the Automatic Transfer Switch in the picture. The only way I know this is the cover has large letters on the outside that says, "Automatic Transfer Switch."
I went out this morning, unhooked the batteries, stripped back the wires one by one and reattached them. The good news is - I now have power when I plug up to shore power. The bad news is - the power is weak. The interior lighting is very dim. If I try to turn on the a/c, it sounds like it's trying to come on, but won't come on. Sounds like it doesn't have enough power.
Remember, I have full power and everything works fine on the generator. Just have minimal power now when hooked up to shore power.
Thoughts?
Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2015, 01:34 PM   #16

There is a chance the contacts are burnt up. Can you see the contacts. The buss bars look crooked.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #17

Interior lighting is 12v so if that's dim you have a bad connection to batteries, and if you've got bad 12v that could be the problem with the A/C operation , because the controls are 12v too.
Question is ; Why isn't the convertor/charger picking up the interior lights ?, but if you have limited 120v getting through, it may have shut down.

OK, back to square 1. Every thing works fine on the generator! Correct?
Poor ( limited power ) from shore ; if the shore power is a known good source . RV park 50 amp service ?
Unfortunately sounds like fried contacts in the transfer switch.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:15 PM   #18

or the anything before the AC transfer switch...
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:35 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Why are some of the wires dbl. stacked in the block? Are they joined with a sleeve crimp or are they just dbl up in the block? That isn't normal standards I have ever seen?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-25-2015, 07:09 PM   #20

[QUOTE=tmw188;2620649]Why are some of the wires dbl. stacked in the block? Are they joined with a sleeve crimp or are they just dbl up in the block? That isn't normal standards I have ever seen?/QUOTE]

Must be allowed, because , both manufactures have used the same method, years apart, not to S&B, standards, and may have contributed to the OP's issue.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:32 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Automatic Transfer Switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Why are some of the wires dbl. stacked in the block? Are they joined with a sleeve crimp or are they just dbl up in the block? That isn't normal standards I have ever seen?

There may be no real standards for MH? I know in marine industry there is ABYC American Boat and Yacht Council. They have set forth the standards for the industry. There are two highly regarded marine inspectors called surveyors. SAMS Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors Inc. and NAMS National Association of Marine Surveyors. When doing their surveys they inspect with many of those standard being regarded. Is there a similar organizations in the RV industry?

Old 06-26-2015, 06:38 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
I was a past NAMS surveyor in the late 70's and 80's. The ABYC council was prompted by manufactures that wanted to regulate and mandate a higher quality standard throughout the marine industry, ie builders like Hinckley, Hatteras and others. If a potential buyer wanted to insure a "proper yacht" a SAMS OR NAMS surveyor performed a fully detailed inspection from masthead to rudder post, etc. this was a fully documented publication that covered every operational and safety aspect of the power or sailing vessel. At times this included X-rays of standing rigging, rudder post, props, etc. RIVA is the governing body in the RV world but IMHO is not in close proximity of recquired across the board manufacturing standards that is present in the marine industry. I have noticed some varied advertisements regarding third party inspections but more so directed toward mediation after the sale. I've often wondered why a group of Certified RIVA Master Tech's governed within the RIVA organization haven't developed a much needed service that offers the same standards as the marine industry . Other than a buyer searching out a master tech or Cummins shop, etc., where does one go or TRUST other than reading forum pre purchase suggestions and using their limited or semi qualified unlicensed experience. Anyone?
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 03:24 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
I was a past NAMS surveyor in the late 70's and 80's. The ABYC council was prompted by manufactures that wanted to regulate and mandate a higher quality standard throughout the marine industry, ie builders like Hinckley, Hatteras and others. If a potential buyer wanted to insure a "proper yacht" a SAMS OR NAMS surveyor performed a fully detailed inspection from masthead to rudder post, etc. this was a fully documented publication that covered every operational and safety aspect of the power or sailing vessel. At times this included X-rays of standing rigging, rudder post, props, etc. RIVA is the governing body in the RV world but IMHO is not in close proximity of recquired across the board manufacturing standards that is present in the marine industry. I have noticed some varied advertisements regarding third party inspections but more so directed toward mediation after the sale. I've often wondered why a group of Certified RIVA Master Tech's governed within the RIVA organization haven't developed a much needed service that offers the same standards as the marine industry . Other than a buyer searching out a master tech or Cummins shop, etc., where does one go or TRUST other than reading forum pre purchase suggestions and using their limited or semi qualified unlicensed experience. Anyone?

I agree that is why I was asking. The need is certainly there and some of you experienced guys with along with some standardized training could do one nice job.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:31 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Agreed, much needed in the RV industry!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transfer switch