Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2014, 12:10 PM   #1

Axis/Vegas road handling

I would like to hear from current Axis/Vegas owners who have owned other class C or A units, regarding the driveability or handling of the Axis compared to other RVs they have owned. How badly are potholes and rough roads transmitted thru the coach? Jarring, rattling etc.? Effect of passing semi trucks, or cross winds? Are the seats comfortable for a long day of driving? I would expect E350 IFS to be superior to the solid axel F53 but obviously not as good as the air bag suspension of the larger class A's.
Thanks,
Dynadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #2

I have done about 6-7 trips and found it to be comfortable. I have never owned a class A/C so I have nothing to compare it to. I did get my alignment adjusted because it was pulling to the right and the toe degree was off as well. Now I can relax with the steering staying straight, we do feel the buffet from semi trucks though. Overall, pretty comfortable. Hope that helps.

Safe travels.
aero77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #3

Axis Handling

I now have a little over 4K miles on our new Axis 24.1 which includes trips from NC to MI, PA, and SC. I have previously owned a Class A (Thor Pinnacle) that was traded for a Coachmen Freelander Class C which in turn was traded for the Axis. I have no problem with the time I spend in the seat and have experienced only a little push from passing semi's - that you get used to pretty quickly and anticipate and correct as soon as they get into your slipstream. The bumps are handled smoothly and things in the coach do not bounce around. Overall I would rate the drive and ride as very good.

Hope this helps..
curbmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:11 PM   #4

Axis handling

WE have put 2000 miles on our new Axis and found it to handle very well.
The longest stretch in the drivers seat was 6 hours and I suffered no numb bum or back issues. We made a few wrong turns and found ourselves in a few tight places but it handled well with a fairly tight turning radius.
Yes, I did notice the push/pull of passing semi's but it was slight and I got used to it quickly.
Averaged 10 mpg on a variety of terrain, flat, mountains, wind etc.
Overall I love it.
belfast1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #5

We have almost 9K miles on our '14 Vegas. We have had problems with steering also. I found that after better weight distribution the handling improved. Even the push/pull effect was drastically reduced.
JOFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #6

What weight adjustment did you do? Also,is quality of coach construction ok?
Thanks for the info.
Dynadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #7

I moved weight from the rear storage to the two compartments behind the front wheels. Construction is very good. However, there is certainly a lack of QC. We are having issues fixed by service in Elkhart.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:12 PM   #8

Weight and Steering

I'm convinced that Thor was serious about that warning sticker next to the driver's seat about checking the alignment with the coach loaded for normal travel. We drove from NC to MI and PA and while it wasn't terrible, I did notice a little pull to the right. Just had alignment done and the caster and camber we off a bit. Noticed a big difference driving home the ten miles from the shop and can't wait until late October when we head out for our annual trek to Savannah for Halloween.

As to build quality - we haven't seen anything that a screwdriver and 10 minutes couldn't fix. Overall, for something built largely by hand, not too bad...
Old 09-22-2014, 10:12 PM   #9

QA issues

What type of issues are you having with your rig?

Ours have been interior cabinetry related. Mostly sloppy QA that should have been caught at the factory level but all have been minor. The most major is the shower glue releasing and now they have to remove the entire shower enclosure and reglue it. The design flaw is the flip up counter extension...they used two very small wood screws into particle board and they pulled out under the weight of a pot of coffee. Luckily I caught it before it fell and made a mess or worse. Poor design, I am taking the rig in next month to get all the little issues cleaned up.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #10

Curbmaster, where did you get the alignment done?
Old 09-24-2014, 04:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbmaster View Post
I'm convinced that Thor was serious about that warning sticker next to the driver's seat about checking the alignment with the coach loaded for normal travel. We drove from NC to MI and PA and while it wasn't terrible, I did notice a little pull to the right. Just had alignment done and the caster and camber we off a bit. Noticed a big difference driving home the ten miles from the shop and can't wait until late October when we head out for our annual trek to Savannah for Halloween.
Yup, mine had the same pull to the right, after the alignment I now have light adjustment steering driving now. BTW, when you come to SAV maybe we can meet up. It's my base location.
aero77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #12

I live in Mount Olive, NC and there is a great shop in Goldsboro, NC "Line'em Up" that specializes in alignment for larger vehicles. Mike Thornton would be happy tom help if you're in the area. Phone (919) 580-9980.

Wherever you get it done, you'll see and feel the difference..
Old 11-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
I'm coming a little late to this discussion. I've had my Axis for 2 wks. I've put about 800 miles on it, back roads, raining, wind, big trucks passing on narrow roads, night driving. This is my first MH, first time driving an RV. Rode a Harley for years, MH is more comfortable in above mentioned road conditions at my age. (Not a good comparison, I know) I love it. Excited! I agree with some issues of QC. I wish the manuals were more pacific to the model. Being new to this, learning how everything works is a concern. And getting it at the beginning of winter is frustrating. I want to get on the road.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:14 PM   #14

What specific QC issues did you have?

Tags
gas