RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2018, 08:22 AM   #1

Battery Drain

After two weeks in storage my coach batteries in my 18 Windsport were dead. The switch was put in storage mode. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and if a parasitic draw on the batteries was found.

Thanks

Kev8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2018, 08:29 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
TVs, radio, CO2 alarm

Old 02-12-2018, 08:30 AM   #3

Same issue. I found a 150ma draw on my coach batteries with disconnect switches off. I think a compounding problem is that since I don't have AC to plug into where I store the coach, the generator when running will only charge the batteries to not quite full. Still trying to figure out what is going on with my batteries. I did find a little clamp on ammeter that seems quite accurate and rugged:
https://www.amazon.com/Uni-T-B4Q094-...rds=uni-t+210e
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpinva View Post
TVs, radio, CO2 alarm
TV's and radios off.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Same issue. I found a 150ma draw on my coach batteries with disconnect switches off. I think a compounding problem is that since I don't have AC to plug into where I store the coach, the generator when running will only charge the batteries to not quite full. Still trying to figure out what is going on with my batteries. I did find a little clamp on ammeter that seems quite accurate and rugged:
https://www.amazon.com/Uni-T-B4Q094-...rds=uni-t+210e
Thanks. I am thinking of putting on a battery cut off switch in the compartment to isolate the batteries completely from the coach.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:01 AM   #6

Not a Thor product but I found I had to shut off invertor as well. Mine has a switch in compartment next to invertor.
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO58 View Post
Not a Thor product but I found I had to shut off invertor as well. Mine has a switch in compartment next to invertor.
Thanks. I wish my invertor wasn't under the bed because it would be a pain to turn on and off.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev8 View Post
Thanks. I am thinking of putting on a battery cut off switch in the compartment to isolate the batteries completely from the coach.

Many people install Bat cut off switches if they don't have AC available for battery minder. My understanding from this forum is that the battery cutoff switch does not disconnect all devices.These devices can drain the batts over time. If you have flooded batteries, water level is important also.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #9

It makes no sense to me to to have a battery disconnect switch that does not completely disconnect the battery(ies) from the trailer. I have a 2012 Voltage 3200 and my battery disconnect switch is installed on the positive cable immediately after it comes out of the battery box. It completely disconnects all electrical loads from the batteries.
1Wheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:00 PM   #10

Propane alarm is usually hard wired to the battery
Old 02-13-2018, 07:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Wheeldrive View Post
It makes no sense to me to to have a battery disconnect switch that does not completely disconnect the battery(ies) from the trailer. I have a 2012 Voltage 3200 and my battery disconnect switch is installed on the positive cable immediately after it comes out of the battery box. It completely disconnects all electrical loads from the batteries.
My thoughts exactly. For two new batteries to go dead in two weeks the switch cannot disconnect everything.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev8 View Post
Battery cut off switch worked for me.
23U_2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23U_2016 View Post
Battery cut off switch worked for me.
Will one cut off switch on the negative post work for two batteries?
Old 02-23-2018, 02:21 PM   #14

I believe the cut off switch should be on the positive or hot lead (usually red) from the battery or batteries. You said you have two batteries but you didn't say if they are 6 volt or 12 volt, although is shouldn't make any difference. There should be one negative (usually black) lead going to a ground on the trailer chassis, and one positive (usually red) lead going to some kind of a distribution panel or electrical bus bar. The cut off switch should be on the lead between the batteries and the distribution panel of electrical bus bar.

1Wheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery