RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2019, 10:28 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
BEEPING noise 2019 32.1 ace

During a trip last week, the wife kept complaining about a beeping noise in the bedroom area. I couldn't hear it (too many years of sirens).

Then while in bed in a very quiet campground I heard it finally & agreed she wasn't crazy, well not much.

It was very faint, so I pulled the mattress to check out the goodies in the bed compartment, NADA.

I could hear it better on the side of the bed with the propane detector. But it was still very faint.

Went outside to turn the propane off just to be sure, only had it on for the fridge since we were leaving in a few hours.

The beeping was louder & was in the area from the rear axle toward the back. Propane tank is in the same area.

Is there a detector under the coach i this area? Any ideas about what it could be?

Thanx
JB

jbwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2019, 10:53 AM   #2

All RVs are required to have propane detectors...but generally, in the kitchen. Never heard of one in a bedroom. This is because propane is heavier than air and sinks. So any leaks from the outside tanks would drop, not rise. And most of the propane used inside an RV is in the kitchen. All other uses, refer, water heater, furnaces, occur in outside devices.

What I think it is, is a CO detector in your bedroom that is telling you that it has a weak battery (the beep is just once in a while so it's not confused with a CO warning) OR it's detector has gone bad. This can occur with either a CO or Propane detector, battery or 120 volt powered.

I've never known of a detector of any sort on the underside or outside of an RV. If the rig was used when you bought it, maybe the PO added something?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:11 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Beeping from a faulty propane detector will be from low, near the floor, as that's where they are placed. Beeping from a faulty CO detector will be from a higher up position. They are supposed to be placed at about 5ft off the floor.

That said, our coach has a combo propane/CO detector that's mounted near the floor (why, I don't know as we've got an all electric coach) in the kitchen. Knowing CO rises & where a detector for that is supposed to be placed, we added an additional one, in our bedroom, at the 5ft off the floor height. There's a good chance you've got one, somewhere in/near your bedroom. Especially because, since you have a gas coach, a generator (if you have one) would be located at the rear & it makes sense a CO detector would be in/near the bedroom, also in the rear on your floorplan. The CO detector in our prior gas Bounder was in the bedroom.

To my knowledge, these detectors are not mounted outside. Keep looking, you'll find it.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:19 PM   #4

CO spreads around a space heedless of up or down, CO weighs the same as air. A CO detector can be put near the floor, on the wall at 5', or on the ceiling...like mine is. Doesn't matter. Propane on the other hand is heavier than air, so those detectors always go low.

Just sayin'.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:07 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
While I agree CO is approx. the same weight as air & can mix with it at any level, it comes from bad combustion of a heat producer & therefore it is circulating in warm air.....which rises & is the reason the instructions on CO detectors say to install at 5ft off the floor or higher.

Back to the OP's question, when it again gets quiet enough to hear the faint beep, try listening at both high & low areas around where you believe the sound is emanating. I'll bet you'll zoom in on it quickly enough.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, ace