RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2018, 10:59 AM   #1

Angry Brand New Thor Windsport

Just bought a brand new Thor Windsport and frustrated again that you only get a Owners Manual which is an all around info book that in no way helps you find what your looking for.

I am relatively new to RVing ( 2 years ) and went all out for this new 32 foot Class A Gasser and now I have to hunt for Fresh water tank, bypass valve, fresh water drain, and a few other items I will need to know.
Dealer is 140 miles away and has not been forth coming with how I could get an Operators Manual ! I used to buy the Chilton Manuals for my cars in the past, but you get no such reference manuals for RV's at all, especially new ones !
I previously started with a 2000 Winnebago that had everything, but I guess I'm out of luck with this new one.

Sitinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2018, 12:47 PM   #2

Now-a-days most rv's only come with a generic owners manual that will generally cover all models in a series, thus no specifics on where drain valves, by-pass valves, ect are located. Nor can you get one. The manuals supplied cover the basics as to operation, and the owners packet should have come with an owners/install manual for each of the appliances and their operation.
For specifics on a particular model, just ask the forum members within the seperate headings.
May take a day or so, but someone with a similar model rig will chime in with the info your looking for.
By-pass for the water heater are usually found very near the back of the water heater.
Your rig may have low point drains for hot and cold lines and another for the fresh water tank. If you check under your rig, look for pex lines that protrude from the floor area. May not be valves at all, but pex lines that have a cap slipped over the end. Most of us have added a simple "shark bite or gator" type valve on the end of the pex rather than just capping them
Don't give up. just start looking for the items you need to find. Sometimes it's as simple as tracing the water lines to find where they exit the coach.
Grumpy

grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:12 PM   #3

When I bought my Thor Axis I ran a line from the panel to an inverter, I installed near the batteries.

I doing so, I needed to pull the bottom draws along the kitchen and panel covering the furnace.

I found the 120 volt Auto Transfer Switch, the battery disconnect latching relay, a couple of low point drains, the outside TV outlet, and a bank of 4 relays ( maybe for the slide and drop down bed ) under them.

I also ran a Sat TV wire thru the upper cabinets to the main TV. Found the drop down bed syncronizer hidden behind a panel.

The Auto Transfer Switch is about 4 ft foward of the curb side breaker panel and 8 ft foward of the road side, rear mounted generator. I would have never looked there.

In glad I did the job because now I know where they are.

It pays to pull all of the draws and panels and just look around, before your DW loads them with pot, pans and supplies.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:24 PM   #4

Okie Dokie, I'll take a WAG at some stuff.

Follow your shore cord and where it goes into the interior (thru the floor or wall) to the interior, your transfer switch will be close by.

Find your vent for your water heater, and your water heater. The bypass valves will probably be accessible from the interior side and may require a panel or drawers to be removed.

Take a tour underneath your coach and look for protruding PEX lines. Your low point drains should be above them. Don't count any space.

I know mine is a class C, but it is a Thor. My fresh water tank, pump, filter, transfer switch, and back side of the service panel is under the bed. My low point drains and inverter are accessed by removing the drawer under the fridge. My water heater is under the kitchen sink and I have to remove the panel behind the trash can to get to my bypass valves.

As far as the manual, these are not mass produced on a cookie cutter production line like cars, truck chassis, and such. How many different floor plans are produced by Thor on the F-53 chassis? That would require either a separate individual manual for each individual variation that would be then have to be supplemented with every modification made to that floor plan. The alternative would be a manual that would make the old Chilton or Motor Manuals look anorexic.
IMHO, taking the time to learn your coach and taking the time to take what information you get in your manuals and spend time in hands on time opening every door and panel and finding every system and sub-system and putting your hands on it will make a person a more ready RVer.

BTW, Have you contacted Thor C/S? An email with your coach VIN and build number will get you PDfs of your wiring and plumbing. It won't show you the wiring, but will show you what has relays, breakers, fuses, and valves.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:31 PM   #5

One reason for lack of info is that, let's say Greg does wiring on Monday and Tuesday, Sam does electrical on Wednesday and Thursday, and Donna does electrical on Friday. They each do things their own way and they are not consistent with each other's methods. Same for plumbing and other jobs. So they all do things to code but are not consistent with each other's methods.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:53 AM   #6

As the Powells posted, remove all the drawers you can to see what is behind them. Also, look for what appear to be solid panels but may be attached with small screws. Usually means there's something behind it.
The people who design/build these things like to play "lets hide the___".
Things like water pumps, converters/inverters may sometimes only be located by searching out the sounds they make.
Check all the water connections you can find and access. Make sure there tight and not leaking due to crossed threads.
Also, when you start to look into, around, and under everything, you WILL find accumulations of sawdust, bits n pieces of wireing, screws, nuts/bolts, styrofoam insulation pieces, maybe tools, ect. These are all little "gifts" left to you by the "trained, professional craftsman" who slap these rigs togather.
Don't complain or worry about it as we've all gone thru the "growing pains" of a new rig.
Grin, laugh and bare with it...it will get better.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:27 AM   #7

Take all drawers out,open all cabinetry take pictures of all plumbing lines,valves,all wiring,junction boxes,fuses. Then go outside open all compartment doors do the same. Keep pictures together for future reference.
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:33 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
One reason for lack of info is that, let's say Greg does wiring on Monday and Tuesday, Sam does electrical on Wednesday and Thursday, and Donna does electrical on Friday. They each do things their own way and they are not consistent with each other's methods. Same for plumbing and other jobs. So they all do things to code but are not consistent with each other's methods.

I don't think that is much of a factor. The wiring layout is part of the build instructions for each model & floor plan, and many rigs use a pre-made wiring harness or set of harnesses. Individual variations should be very minor.

Mostly it's just that RV makers don't spend money on a staff of tech writers to write and continually update manuals for the dozens of models and floor plans that change frequently. Manuals are fairly expensive to produce and the cost is not spread over a huge number of units sold as it is with automobiles.

That said, the low-priced manufacturers could do a much better job of even the generic manual. At least some identification of the parts and clues about where they may be located, even if not specific to each model.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:35 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
These days owner's manuals are pretty generic and not worth much! You can get the model numbers of all the systems and Google for manuals!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:06 AM   #10

If we ever decide to buy another, the first brand we'll look at is Winnebago. Not only happy with the quality of our rig, but also with all the helpful information Winnebago provides. Electrical, plumbing, and construction schematics, material lists with part numbers, even the names of the different sealants and where they're used are listed on their website.

I admit the owner's manual is a bit generic but it usually gets me pointed in the right direction..
Old 12-31-2018, 10:27 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There are many youtube walkthrough videos for many RVs that will often show where these things are and how to use them. Manufacturers sometimes have videos on their own website as well. I have found the videos on youtube to be the most help although you still have to do some hunting to find them.

You could find a more local dealer and offer to pay for an hour of their delivery tech's time to walk you through the important things. Those should have been included in your original walkthrough but I gather that ship has sailed. A thorough walkthrough can take 4 hours give or take and normally they allow you to video the whole thing so you can reference it later.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
Okie Dokie, I'll take a WAG at some stuff.
IMHO, taking the time to learn your coach and taking the time to take what information you get in your manuals and spend time in hands on time opening every door and panel and finding every system and sub-system and putting your hands on it will make a person a more ready RVer.

BTW, Have you contacted Thor C/S? An email with your coach VIN and build number will get you PDfs of your wiring and plumbing. It won't show you the wiring, but will show you what has relays, breakers, fuses, and valves.
The Powells are correct. Getting to know YOUR RV is an excellent lesson in taking good care of it. I contacted Thor when we wanted schematics on electrical and water systems and now have them in our generic manual. But DH still has made a point in studying OUR camper and knows that girl quite well
Old 12-31-2018, 11:56 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With few (if any) exceptions, RV's do not come with a car-like Owner's manual.
And there is no operators manual.
See the #1 point on this video:

Chlitons has a chassis manual (for the Ford F53 only).

RV's are MUCH more like a new construction home...just the way it is.
Expect the stand-alone manual for the stove, water heater, jack system, etc.

Safe travels

We are not affiliated with "RV Masters"
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:02 PM   #14

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owner-resource/

Every manual for your coach by VIN number in digital format.

Got this info from:

Thor Owner Resources - Thor Forums

tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor