Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #1

car trailer towing

Please advise the pros and cons of using a car trailer instead of a flat tow. What do you suggest is a better way to go, I will be towing with a Tuscany xte 37 ft motorcoach. What trailer you recommend, the cost, and do I need to add any cabling for lights, brakes, etc.

I want to make sure when I enter Canada, i meet all their towing requirements, i know they have very strict towing laws.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a Damon Challenger and tow a Jeep Wrangler 4 down (simple and quick hookup and disconnect). In my opinion using a trailer to tow a vehicle is inconvenient at best. Ten there is the storage issue once at the campsite. There are a number of new vehicles, and older makes and models that can be towed 4 down, so there are a number of choices to suit most preferences. We have towed the Wrangler for more than 25,000 miles with no issues. Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Bronk

Old 06-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm first!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubreeze View Post
Please advise the pros and cons of using a car trailer instead of a flat tow. What do you suggest is a better way to go, I will be towing with a Tuscany xte 37 ft motorcoach. What trailer you recommend, the cost, and do I need to add any cabling for lights, brakes, etc.

I want to make sure when I enter Canada, i meet all their towing requirements, i know they have very strict towing laws.

Thanks
Hey,
First, sweet coach!! Big ol' Diesel Pusher will tow a lot.

So you are looking at flat tow vs. trailer...But, there's also the tow dolly.

Descision points:
-You will have to research if your model car will flat-tow (some won't).
-You will have to decide if you will only tow 1 vehicle (most toad connection systems are permanent mount to a single vehicle.
-To flat-tow you will have to accept the miles on the driveline of the Toad.
-To flat-tow you will have to weigh the cost of that towing equipment vs. the cost of the dolly or trailer.
-To dolly or trailer tow, you will have to accept that the tow rig will need it's own space at your destination.

There are many, many threads on here about these topics - so do a seach for Towing and enjoy the reading...here's what I decided:

- A dolly is the best way to go for overall cost and ease of use (thats' me).
- Flat tow is the easiest for hook-up and drop, but the gear can be pricy and is usually installed in only 1 car at a time.
- Trailer is probably the most expensive but the best way to keep your toad near prefect condition...Covered trailer is the Zenith

I can't talk about Canada's laws - no idea about that

Dang-it, I'm not first...took too long to type
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
If my car were compatible to 4 down then that's what I would do. My present vehicle isn't and I didn't want to install a transmission lube pump so I use a tow dolly. Took it all over Alaska last year and didn't have a problem. I found that after a week or so I became quite adept at getting the car on and off the trailer. There were a few times I got wet in the rain but nothing drastic. My rig is so high it stores nicely part way under it.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #5

Thanks guys, great informations.

Do you know of any website that shows all the flat towable cars for 2012...

Thanks Much!
Old 06-30-2012, 04:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
There are many, many threads on here about these topics - so do a seach for Towing and enjoy the reading...here's what I decided:

- A dolly is the best way to go for overall cost and ease of use (thats' me).
Yes, there are a ton of opinions as to which way is best for your individual situation. I was at the Good Sam Rally (Louisville) last weekend and I watched a number of people disconnect and connect to flat tow and to use a dolly and I see little difference in time or difficulty. Some dolly's fold up to a very compact size so they would be easy to store behind your rig when parked. Dolly's can be used to tow different cars without doing anything special. I have two cars and I would like to have the option to tow either one so a dolly works for me.

The only people I see with a trailer (enclosed or open) use them for classic cars, carry other items besides the car, tools, motorcycles, etc. In other words, they appear to have a specific reason to use a trailer.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
tow dolly

I did not an interesting piece of information on using a tow dolly. While shopping for a vehicle to 4 wheels down towing I checked the owners manual on every vehicle I looked at. I was very suprised at the number of vehicles that could be towed 4 wheel down but not with the front wheels off the ground only. I have a front wheel drive enclave and it warns not to tow with the front wheels off the ground. It does allow me to tow with all 4 wheels down though.

http://www.blueox.com/Uploads/Docs/2...wing_guide.pdf

that is on the blue ox website.

Make sure that whatever you buy you look for recreational or dinghy towing in the owners manual that will usually tell you how to tow. Apparently ford has gone back and changed the owners manual about certain ford products being towable. You might want to verify with the Ford dealership and have a statement in writing that they sign notifying them you are buying the vehicle to be used as a tow vehicle
Old 07-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Could someone please discuss why a FWD car should/would/could not be dolly towed?

There's got to be some story about the Toad needing brakes or something...I just don't understand.

I read the BlueOx .pdf (above) top to bottom and even did a search on it for "dolly", "FWD" and "front wheels" but didn't see anything explaining this...except for a comment that the steering must be unlocked - possibly draining the battery...but that is the same for flat towing too - right?

Thanks
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am also curious to see why it will not tow that way. I dont know why I just noticed it in some of the owners manuals I looked at. If I was going to hazard a guess the only thing I could think of that would still be an issue with the rear wheels turning might be some kind of traction control or even an anti lock brake issue. If the computer thinks some kind of action is required because the back wheels are turning and the front wheels are not then that might be a reason why you can not do it. Like I said I am just guessing and hope that someone who knows the reason why will enlighten us.

Tags
towing