RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Challenger 37KT

Anyone have and Challenger 37KT.

I like the way it has sliding panels in the interior. But don't know anything about the brand.

Any advance in buying!

Sue Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't have a Challenger, but can make some general comments, plus one of our peers on this forum is trading-in his '08 Outlaw for a 2013 Challenger...so I think that's saying something.

The Challenger (the Outlaw and others) was a Damon model until recently when the Damon brand was acquired by Thor to form a part of Thor Motor Coach (TMC).

From looking at the new offerings, the Models seem to be holding to the same quality offered from Damon for fit/finish/quality...and that is a very high quality standard for a mid-grade price point.

Damon and now Thor use very good vendors for the systems (electrical, plumbing, entertainment, etc), that means parts are easy to find and most all shops can fix any problems that arise. They use the Ford chassis for the gas powered line-up (currently there's not much competition) which is a good, and reliable frame with lots of service centers at any Ford Truck Service Center.

BUT the big changes have been made in floorplans...My spouse and I REALLY like the way the new Challenger's looks and LOVE the full wall slide and 2 bathroom design in the 36FD - it's awesome! There's the double sink in the 37DT, the awesome wrap-around kitchen in the 37GT, the 37KT has a real KING SIZED BED and that entertainement console is increadible!

So, if you are worried about quality - it is pretty good. If you are worried about price - it is pretty good too. From my shopping, I think what Thor offers is a good quality and a good price. The competition has some similar floorplans, but they are not as innovative and offered at a higher price. Hope that helps.

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #3

Never fails.........just after we bought the rig we have now, we saw the 37KT. Can't stop thinking about it, but we can't justify the loss financially to trade the rig we have.........guess it's just a case of the "wannas".

The quality of the Challenger, now made by Thor is as good as should be expected. Some friends have their product and no real complaints.

As for the 37KT....the things we REALLY loved were:

-sliding parlour doors allow you to isolate the sound from the TV/stereo from someone possibly napping/sleeping in the bedroom
-sliding parlour doors allow you to control the heating or air conditioning temperatures better by NOT having to climatize the entire rig.....dashboard vents and the fan can't do the square footage of the entire rig when driving
-closing the doors allows you to really crank the fireplace temps for coziness up front versus us preferring cooler temps in the bedroom for sleeping
-if someone is staying overnight as a guest, they truly feel they have their own room for yours and their privacy with the frosted glass parlour doors
-people from either end of the rig can get up in the morning, make their coffee and not have to disrupt the other by staying inside or heading outside if morning temperatures allow
-love the 5 room definition....not seen in other floorplans
-love the king size bed in the master
-love the dual entrances into the washroom for everyones privacy
-love it love it love it...................
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks for all the information.

I see I am not the only one that loves the floor plan. Can't watch to walk thru one.

I didn't know that Damon was bought by Thor. Good to know.

My dream coach, keeping fingers crossed for a good deal on one.

Sue
Sue Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've had our 2013 37kt since May/12. I put 12k on it the first season and we love it. I can validate all the info in the previous posts. Having traded our 09 chateau class C, I feel we have all of the good and none of the bad from our previous RV. It drives like a dream despite being 10 feet longer. I do not know what to do with all the storage both in the coach and underneath. The only down side that I can think of is the gas mileage. We average between 6 and 9 mpg depending on the terrain or whether or not I'm flat towing. However, I knew that going in and it's just part of the "joy" of owning a house on wheels. And it truly feels like a house with the separated rooms. People who have much higher end busses have commented on how the wish theirs was not so much like a shotgun house and had more separation like the 37kt. Also, the fireplace works very well at heating the coach. We used it all the way through Christmas, spending time with family in northern PA. Hope this helps and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I pride myself in researching and learning as much as I can on such a big purchase.

Jimmy
camaromance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I was looking at the 37KT also. Read on the internet that there were some issues on the full length slide. Wife and I both loved the floor plan.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
No issues to date with the slides. But as the sticker on the inside of the coach says, you have to be level with the jacks extended to operate the slides. The two front slides are small and I have put them out without the jacks down. I would hesitant to extend the full body slide without being level and jacks down.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
We did the walk through in Tampa...it truly is a remarkable floor plan...who ever designed the interior must have had class A ...and solved all the issues with the layouts!
lenkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:07 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Thor rep in Indiana said it was women who designed the interior. Probably why the FD has two bathrooms....
Old 02-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #10

The wife and I were actually going to buy the 37KT because we loved the front parlor area so much, but after we saw the 37DT we were sold on the bigger bathroom, separate toilet room and an area for a combo W/D. We also like the L-shape couch and U-shape dinette. As far as quality, we are very pleased. Have some warranty issues and a few small problems, but it's all been taken care of by the dealership. We've put about 3500 miles on it already in about 6 trips. Drives great, has enough power. Only averaging about 9 MPG at the most. Overall very pleased and I think you'll love the 37KT.
opcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #11

Absolutely love our 2012 Challenger 37KT. I've done some nice mods to it (including stone and glass backsplash, built-in winerack next to the fireplace, and an additional shelf in the galley corner cabinets over the sink). Rides great with plenty of power and comfort. Also added central vac.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAVmobile View Post
Absolutely love our 2012 Challenger 37KT. I've done some nice mods to it (including stone and glass backsplash, built-in winerack next to the fireplace, and an additional shelf in the galley corner cabinets over the sink). Rides great with plenty of power and comfort. Also added central vac.
Any chance we could get some pictures? I've wanted to do some of those same mods. Thinking about getting the metal bar behind the sink from Ikea for hanging stuff like the fold down dish rack and a few other things that go with that system. I'm very interested in seeing the tile work you did.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAVmobile View Post
Agreed, photos would be great to see what and how people were doing their mods.

I've had my DT for a week and have already enlarged the openings in the floor to install really nice looking 2" x 12" floor registers with balancers to help regulate the heat in the john. They fit the look much better than the cheap brown ones.

I'll be posting photos as soon as it warms up again
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
Agreed, photos would be great to see what and how people were doing their mods.

I've had my DT for a week and have already enlarged the openings in the floor to install really nice looking 2" x 12" floor registers with balancers to help regulate the heat in the john. They fit the look much better than the cheap brown ones.

I'll be posting photos as soon as it warms up again
Look at you...only took a week
Time for a thread titled "Challenger Mods and Easy Fixes"?

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote