RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2019, 11:35 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Chassis battery not charging while on shore power

I have a 2016 Class A Outlaw. Just recently the chassis battery is not charging when plugged in to shore power. I replaced the battery thinking it was just a bad battery (3+ years old) but the new one doesn't appear to be charging when checked with a multi-meter - when I put it in it read 12.5v now reads 12.3v after a day. I have found a Trombetta and potted BIRD in the house battery bay. Are there other components in the system? BBC? Does anyone have a wiring diagram? I know I can call Thor but I'm not in a good cell service area so I'm hoping someone can help. Troubleshooting ideas welcome. Pics great. Thanks

Trvl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2019, 11:40 AM   #2

Do you have the battery switch in "Use" or "Store"?

Ours won't charge unless it's in "Use" mode.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:09 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not positive about your model but....

If you found BIRD module and Trombetta relay you can troubleshoot from there. The BIRD controls the Trombetta relay. It sends a signal to close it whenever there is at least 13.5 volts on either side (in other words on chassis side or house side). When engine running for ~5 minutes it closes to charge the house batteries from Alternator (actually chassis battery bank). When plugged into shore power or running the generator it does the same to charge chassis battery bank.

So - easy way to check is take voltage at coil of trombetta to see if you are getting voltage there. If it is energized then the relay should be closed. Check both sides of output to ground - when closed should be approximately the same. If not then trombetta is faulty (this happens alot)

If no voltage at trombetta coil then could be a BIRD issue or elsewhere.

FWIW
Old 02-25-2019, 01:25 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve70605 View Post

If you found BIRD module and Trombetta relay you can troubleshoot from there. The BIRD controls the Trombetta relay. It sends a signal to close it whenever there is at least 13.5 volts on either side (in other words on chassis side or house side). When engine running for ~5 minutes it closes to charge the house batteries from Alternator (actually chassis battery bank). When plugged into shore power or running the generator it does the same to charge chassis battery bank.

So - easy way to check is take voltage at coil of trombetta to see if you are getting voltage there. If it is energized then the relay should be closed. Check both sides of output to ground - when closed should be approximately the same. If not then trombetta is faulty (this happens alot)

FWIW

Thanks much - gives me a place to start.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:27 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
Do you have the battery switch in "Use" or "Store"?

Ours won't charge unless it's in "Use" mode.

Pretty sure it is but I'll double check. Thanks
Old 02-25-2019, 01:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve70605 View Post

FWIW
Excellent description for trouble shooting

Mine was bad from the factory and looked perfect, just a defective unit

Also check the battery connections at the solenoids, one of mine was loose but had the protective spray on it
Old 02-27-2019, 06:17 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Excellent description for trouble shooting

Mine was bad from the factory and looked perfect, just a defective unit

Also check the battery connections at the solenoids, one of mine was loose but had the protective spray on it
Thanks. I will double check all connections.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:02 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Great troubleshooting tips from others. Wasnít sure from your description but did you run the the engine after installing the new battery or was your voltage check after the coach sat for a day without engine operation? I know itís a separate issue than charging via the BIRD, but I would also confirm the alternator is charging when the engine is running. Your chassis battery should have been fully charged when you arrived at your destination if thatís when you checked and saw 12.3v. My coach has an Echo charger instead of a BIRD so I donít know if itís the same but I had to reset my charger once. Is there a reset on the BIRD?

Russ
1990 Country Coach Concept 36' Anteres
1997 Jeep Wrangler, Blue Ox
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:13 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Awesome Outlaw RV has NEITHER A BIRD NOR TROMBETTA...doesn't need it.

Our RV's have an Intellitec Battery Control Center (BCC)
All battery functions including cross charge of chassis and house batteries on shore power, generator, or engine alternator is automatically controlled at the BCC.
Looks like this:

Name:   2009-12-27_025704_31-0000635100.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  24.3 KB

The Black solenoid is the business end of the use/store "salesman switch".
The silver solenoid is the crossover for charge and draw flow from both battery banks...including the Aux-Start.

For no-charge from shore power to the chassis battery, the silver solenoid and its controller (microprocessors buried underneath what you can see) are not working. First check all fuses and connections. After that, get into the troubleshooting section of the manual. Most often, the solenoid itself is stuck.
See the solenoid guts here:
I love my Thor | Damon Outlaw!

See the manual here:
iRV2 Forums - Files - Intellitec Single Disconnect Battery Control Cente

Replacing the crossover solenoid is very easy and inexpensive at about $20 from many auto outlets or even Amazon.

Safe Outlaw Travels

P.S. Owners at the links in my signature will probably give you more specific advice when needed over the generic Forums
Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

All battery functions including cross charge of chassis and house batteries on shore power, generator, or engine alternator is automatically controlled at the BCC.
Looks like this:
Attachment 236604

The silver solenoid is the crossover for charge and draw flow from both battery banks...including the Aux-Start.

For no-charge from shore power to the chassis battery, the silver solenoid and its controller (microprocessors buried underneath what you can see) are not working. First check all fuses and connections. After that, get into the troubleshooting section of the manual. Most often, the solenoid itself is stuck.

See the manual here:

Replacing the crossover solenoid is very easy and inexpensive at about $20 from many auto outlets or even Amazon.

Safe Outlaw Travels

P.S. Owners at the links in my signature will probably give you more specific advice when needed over the generic Forums
Best luck
Great Post, Thanks
Old 03-03-2019, 10:26 AM   #11

Quote:

Looks like this:
Attachment 236604

See the manual here:

Safe Outlaw Travels

Best luck
Intellitec also makes the BIRD, so same function in a different package.

Almost all MHs use a continuous duty solenoids. Most are silver.
Trombetta is just a brand name of an expensive, serviceable one.

There are many brand name isolation systems, they all just combine two battery banks.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Intellitec also makes the BIRD, so same function in a different package.

Almost all MHs use a continuous duty solenoids. Most are silver.
Trombetta is just a brand name of an expensive, serviceable one.

There are many brand name isolation systems, they all just combine two battery banks.
Yes and Intellitec makes several B.I.R.D.'s. Here are two, just for gas RV's
Click image for larger version

Name:	31-0000362100.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	236698

Name:   00-01000-000.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  10.4 KB

These are needed when the maker does not use a full function BCC, like used in the Outlaw.
Unfortunately, too many sellers do not take the time to educate owners on specifics like these
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:42 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Looks like this:
Attachment 236604

See the manual here:

Safe Outlaw Travels

Best luck

Great information. Thank you. Where is the BCC located?

Tags
battery, charging, chassis, power, shore power