Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #29

Just came from Kingman Az to Gallup N M---60 mile of snow west of Flagstaff to east of Flagstaff--27 degree-- the only way I could keep the ice off my wipers and windshield was run washer fluid every little bit. I had defroster on high- I flat guarantee everyone this will get fixed when I get back to Indiana. Have no clue how I'll do it but I will!!
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #30

As to the MCD shades. I Replaced my side pleated cockpit ones with MCD ones a couple weeks ago at the factory in McKinney. They are great-blocking the sun really helps. They are great people to work with . Measured mine on a Tuesday AM -- installed Wednesday PM. You park in their lot with 50 amp electric. I would recommend MCD to any of you.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 AM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
As to the MCD shades. I Replaced my side pleated cockpit ones with MCD ones a couple weeks ago at the factory in McKinney. They are great-blocking the sun really helps. They are great people to work with . Measured mine on a Tuesday AM -- installed Wednesday PM. You park in their lot with 50 amp electric. I would recommend MCD to any of you.
Did you get the duo (?) shades (the two shades one for privacy and the other to totally block the view)? Are they manual or electric?
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Just came from Kingman Az to Gallup N M---60 mile of snow west of Flagstaff to east of Flagstaff--27 degree-- the only way I could keep the ice off my wipers and windshield was run washer fluid every little bit. I had defroster on high- I flat guarantee everyone this will get fixed when I get back to Indiana. Have no clue how I'll do it but I will!!
See? Thats what I'm talking about. You just can't get enough heat from the cab heater under those conditions to keep that huge windshield warm enough. If you do have curtains you can close them, which will help keep the cockpit area warmer. Then be sure and run the two fans mounted overhead with them pointed at the windshield. That will help. If it gets really cold, get a 3500w disc heater. It pumps out enough heat to really get the cockpit warm and it will run off of the AC inverter while going down the road.

Or spend the money to install a boost pump back at the engine. I already tried to put pipe insulation on the water lines but they are all buried up inside the frame where you cant get to them.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOGilroy View Post
I have a hard time understanding why one lives in a -5 area.
Thats easy: 4 seasons, sking, snowmobiling, hunting, hiking, 4 wheeling, mountain climbing, low cost of living, low taxes, 360 days a year of sunshine, no chiggers, few if any mosquitoes, no hurricanes, no mudslides. I can probably think of more but I'll stop for now.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOGilroy View Post
I have a hard time understanding why one lives in a -5 area. Having said that, I really like the idea of the curtain behind the driver and PAX seat to keep the cockpit warm or cool. What a great idea. What are the draw backs? I understand the water pipes in the basement, what else?

How would it mount to the ceiling? Maybe run some sort of shower curtain rod side to side?

Neat idea.

MCD shades, nice, get rid of those pleated OEM things. We're thinking about that also. Let me know how they turn out.

Steve
Look at my post with pictures a few up from your post in the thread. Just get a ceiling mounted curtain track and screw it to the ceiling using wood screws no more than 3/4" long. If you do it this way it looks factory. Or you can just get the shower curtain rod from Home Depot and rig it up.

If your rig isn't winterized, and if you are going through freezing temps for any period of time, run the house furnace to keep the tanks and pipes from freezing. Even if you do that, being able to close off the cockpit helps keep it toasty warm.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #35

I've got the issue with the bed over the the seats- very tight fit -but I got the duo manual ones
Old 01-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I've got the issue with the bed over the the seats- very tight fit -but I got the duo manual ones
Thanks. I don't have the overhead bed so a fit may not be as tight.

Gary
Old 01-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Can you post a picture with the bed up and the shades pulled down? I am curious how the sloping windows are handled with the shades.

Thanks,
Gary
Old 01-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #38

What u will have is that the curtains will cover 100% down the back side. In the lower corners in the front u will have a small triangle that does not get covered. They build a piece of board that is felt covered that slides into window Channels. and fills in that space. I don't even use them. If You use them u will probably have to remove them to see your mirrors. The felt piece goes in and out easy
Old 01-31-2013, 06:07 AM   #39

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
What u will have is that the curtains will cover 100% down the back side. In the lower corners in the front u will have a small triangle that does not get covered. They build a piece of board that is felt covered that slides into window Channels. and fills in that space. I don't even use them. If You use them u will probably have to remove them to see your mirrors. The felt piece goes in and out easy
Thanks for the explanation. I was curious about that part of the curtain and how the irregular shape of the windows was handled.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here are some pics of my curtains behind the drivers area

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2866329594.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	425.4 KB
ID:	32862
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-422537228.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	352.7 KB
ID:	32858   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1031258423.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	32859  

Name:	image-2890706006.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	32860   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2855459696.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	32861  

jimbooth25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #41

I suspect the pump to push the coolant faster to the front heat exchanger will not work... since you are moving the coolant faster, you are also cooling it faster.

One way to get heat up to the front is to reduce the antifreeze/water ratio. Maybe there is to mucha antifreeze in your system (hence, running cooler) or the ratio of coolant is not balanced. Im not a Cummins engine expert, but on cars, if its running hot... put more coolant, less water, if its running cool (no heat) put less coolant, more water... Just as long as the engine is running within its operating temp. Just a thought...
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #42

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
I suspect the pump to push the coolant faster to the front heat exchanger will not work... since you are moving the coolant faster, you are also cooling it faster.

One way to get heat up to the front is to reduce the antifreeze/water ratio. Maybe there is to mucha antifreeze in your system (hence, running cooler) or the ratio of coolant is not balanced. Im not a Cummins engine expert, but on cars, if its running hot... put more coolant, less water, if its running cool (no heat) put less coolant, more water... Just as long as the engine is running within its operating temp. Just a thought...
Before you start messing with the aintifreeze/water ratio, you should check to make sure that your SCA ratio is correct. The antifreeze and/or SCA used also helps lubricate some of the internal parts of the engine from what I recall.