Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Well folks, I upgraded to the Palazzo (model 33.1). My DW and I are at the Good Sam Rally in Louisville, KY this weekend and spent a lot of time looking at possible replacements for our Serrano and we kept coming back to the Thor Palazzo. We had a conversation with the saleperson and told him if he could do, XXXXX, we would trade in our Serrano. The bottom line, we got what we wanted and a little more so we purchased one of the show models. We will pick it up next Friday!

Congratulations!!! After much thought and number crunching (including starting this thread), we're actually about to go the new gasser route. I'm pretty excited about finally making that LONG awaited decision. I think Thor has a winner in that Palazzo for sure (And, I'm still in love with that black paint scheme!!). Happy travels!!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Well folks, I upgraded to the Palazzo (model 33.1). My DW and I are at the Good Sam Rally in Louisville, KY this weekend and spent a lot of time looking at possible replacements for our Serrano and we kept coming back to the Thor Palazzo. We had a conversation with the saleperson and told him if he could do, XXXXX, we would trade in our Serrano. The bottom line, we got what we wanted and a little more so we purchased one of the show models. We will pick it up next Friday!

We tried to do that at the show in tampa but the lazy days salesman didnt want to cooperate. Congrats on the upgrade. Many miles of smooth sailing to you.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
We tried to do that at the show in tampa but the lazy days salesman didnt want to cooperate. Congrats on the upgrade. Many miles of smooth sailing to you.
Talking to the salesman here at the Louisville show they took in another Serrano (2011) besides my 2010 so I think they are dealing. Good luck and I hope to meet you somewhere down the road!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychop View Post
After getting rid of my truck and 30ft travel trailer, time to move up to class A.

After looking at 100's, narrowed to a Gas Winnebago 35P and the two Thor's. Some obvious differences in the Thors, but for weekend use and a couple of weeks a year, is it worth $30K more for the Palazzo? It has some nicer features, but I could get a new vehicle to tow behind for the $$

We've been reading the threads on the Serranos, but don't see too much on the Palazzos, can't even find a 33.2 model to see within 500 miles of Austin Texas.

Looking forward to the "easier" life. Any insight from owners or comments about them? Thanks all!
I have been to Camping World in New Braunfels, TX several times. I am looking at a Palazzo 33.1. They mentioned they have a 33.2 "on order". You might call them for shippng status so you can look at one. They have received two 33.1 units and sold them within a week of arrival. I think this is a sure winner for Thor.
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #19

Well we picked up our Palazzo today and we traveled about 30 miles to a KOA campground to do a shakedown and get to know our coach. We stopped at a local Walmart to pick up a few things and the coach was very easy to get in and out of their parking lot. The drive was nice and I am amazed at the available power and the air ride/brakes are very nice!
Old 06-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #20

Good show on gettting your new Palazzo. Please give us your comments on how it runs, any problem areas, mileage, etc. The sales folks always say they have the best products, but the day to day user is the best source of information. I look forward to hearing what you think of your new coach.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:06 AM   #21

Update on our Palazzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lewis View Post
Good show on gettting your new Palazzo. Please give us your comments on how it runs, any problem areas, mileage, etc. The sales folks always say they have the best products, but the day to day user is the best source of information. I look forward to hearing what you think of your new coach.
George: We will be heading home today...work tomorrow The weekend went well with everything. DW wanted to use the ice maker but no water. It took some time to find the shutoff valve (bottom panel below the stove) and when I turned it on it leaked. No problem, same as in our home so it took <1 minute to fix. Due to the bad storms we had this weekend it gave me a good opportunity to check for leaks, found one due to the installation of the satellite dish (Camping World not Thor). Again, easy to fix, sealant was soft and easy to push over the area that was exposed causing the leak (checked on two other storms). Plus side, it gave me an opportunity to go up on the roof and look around.

My DW loves everything...she keeps telling me so I have no expectation that everything will work perfect. We will find problems and I am OK with small things, loose screws, icemaker water line loose, etc. and I will fix those and move along. We started a punch list for Thor & Camping World but as of now there isn't anything on the list.

Thanks!
Jack
Old 07-01-2012, 05:30 AM   #22

great news. hoping all goes well and mama is happy!
Old 07-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #23

Jack, as you say, these are minor problems and easily fixed. I am glad to hear Karen likes the new unit. Keep us up on your findings...good and bad. I am not much of a fix it person, however I am a killer toilet fixer with our hard south Texas water so the toilets often leak...even with the softener...

I am glad you mentioned the ice maker water shutoff...I am not sure I would have ever found it...ha ha

When you have time and have done it, is the sewer dump connections fairly easy to use (connect). My Bounder is very easy, but with my bad knee, getting down on them is a small problem.

Anyway, I enjoy your comments and the other Palazzo owners as well. It helps us who are on the fence...

George
Old 07-02-2012, 04:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lewis View Post
When you have time and have done it, is the sewer dump connections fairly easy to use (connect). My Bounder is very easy, but with my bad knee, getting down on them is a small problem.
George: I do not know about easy but to connect up the dump is no more difficult to do then my Serrano. Good feature is the black tank flush connection is located in the same compartment as the dump valves (serrano was on the other side). All of the valves, low point drains, etc is in the same compartment...I like the set up! Connecting up to everything with a bad knee, I am not too sure. It is low but you could do it easy enough if you sat on a small stool v/s trying to kneel down.

Our drive home was uneventful which is a good thing! I am very pleased with the power of this rig, it gets into traffic quickly and the the air ride chassis makes for a smooth ride! There is only 579 miles on the coach but according to the trip computer, which I am still trying to understand, says that I am getting 9.6 MPG (with Gen Set running for the A/C). I feel I can improve this by driving at a steady speed and not needing the generator in cooler weather. BTW, the dash A/C is super! 90% better then my Serrano. I may be able to not use the generator in milder weather. Understand that the 9.6 was not all my driving, it was the Good Sam show model (Louisville) so Camping World put much of this initial mileage plus the transfer from the factory to Camping World so who knows how these people drove the coach?

We are taking 3 of the Grandkids out this coming weekend so I will continue to report as I learn more about our Palazzo
Old 07-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #25

My first fort was blankets on kitchen chairs, then a pup tent, bigger tent, pop-up, and 2 smaller motor homes. My new fort is a Serrano 31X, 2011. Our Toad is a 2012 Wrangler (off-roading: my new passion). For those that want to RV, there is one out there. Took me 3 years to find just the right fit. The Maxxforce 7 is awesome! MPG? Don't know. Doesn't matter. When the guage gets down, I fill it up.

Went full-time in April of 2012. My brain has reverted to age 14. I can't help but have fun from now on!

Problems? Sure! about a dozen, nothing major. About at many as my second choice (per blogs/reviews) that was $90K more. 8,000 miles and no regrets. When you buy something that has more technology than a lunar landing there will be problems. Friend bought a Winnie Journey. Supposed to have very high quality. 32 issues, 3 major, month 1.

Have fun out there folks! Appreciate seeing all your good words.
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #26

Jack, good to read your report. I got hung up on gas mileage when I read a Palazzo report that said they got 12.9. I understand at 55, no gen, this is a good figure. My Bounder gets 7.5, Jack, so your mileage is about 20% better...Better up than down...ha ha

A good a/c is sure a plus with the WX we have been having.

I can work with the dump and bad knee. Just gotta go slow...my Bounder sits a little higher than the Palazzo I looked at. I did not get to spend a lot of time with it, but this is not a show stopper.

I will be interested in how the grand children do with the pull out bed (s) etc. An earlier post talked about a "blow up matress" or some such??? I did not have a chance to look at this.

Enjoy your trip... George
Old 07-03-2012, 04:05 AM   #27

CampDaven: I noticed that you are new to iRV2 but not new to RVing. In any event Welcome! You will find lots of good people here and tons of advice.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:03 AM   #28

Thanks, Arnolds! Actually been RVing since 1994. Had a C, then a small A, now the retirement A. Tented for the eons up until 94.
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
serrano