RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Disney Trip

Headed to Fort Wilderness CG @ Disney over the MLK Holiday.
Anyone been there lately?

tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:31 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
It has been years since we were at Disney and I never stayed at Ft. Wilderness but I would like to go at some point. Therefore I am interested in following this thread to read any responses.

TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #3

Was at DW and Ft. Wilderness two weeks ago. I am forced to go at least 3 or 4 times a year to accommodate relatives/friends. Our winter home is six miles from the gates and we always put the motorhome at the campground so visitors have a retreat to go to. Fantasyland has been completely redone and now reopened. Some of the express ride procedures have been refined and seem to work better.

Ft. Wilderness is an ok campground. Getting into sites is sometimes a bit tight but manageable. Campground is clean and efficiently run, with lots of golf cart and bicycle traffic everywhere. Renting a golf cart or bicycling is, IMO, mandatory to get around the campground. Available cable is more a Disney advertising network than anything, and many sites are wooded enough that satellite reception is difficult. The transportation system (bus and boat) from the campground can get you to the park(s) easily. Returning can be a bit of a hassle if you choose to return at busy times.

Bring lots of money. You will need it. If you are a Disneyphile, you will love your visit. If, like me, you are not, it beats shoveling snow. Enjoy your trip.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #4

Heading down to FW for the first time this weekend. Bringing lots of holiday decorations for the campsite to participate in the decoration insanity we've been reading about online.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Was there in Sept. Wasn't impressed after hearing so much about it. If you are towing make sure you un-hook before you get to your site. There is a pull off as you start down the road to all the sites. If you plan going into the park everyday you can take the bus or the boat or take your car because you get passes for the car and it won't cost you anything to park. Sites are a little tight but with the Palazzo you shouldn't have a problem. Plan on doing a lot of walking or do what i did, rent an electric scooter. Happy Camping
gramps2578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps2578 View Post
Was there in Sept. Wasn't impressed after hearing so much about it.
Was there anything in particular that you were disappointed based on what you previously understood? This is not an inexpensive campground so I do not want to arrive and be too disappointed
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #7

We just went a few weeks ago we like to "feed the mouse" be sure to enjoy the campground it is really nice and one of our favorites
camping fam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Was there anything in particular that you were disappointed based on what you previously understood? This is not an inexpensive campground so I do not want to arrive and be too disappointed
Yes,I did find it little expensive but than again what isn't inexpensive at Disney. Maybe I'm spoiled after spending time in some of the so called luxury RV resorts for less than the cost of the Wilderness.I just thought it was going to be a little bit more up-scale. You will enjoy it. Happy Camping
P.S. We will be going back in June because we have to take the other grand children.
gramps2578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We love Fort Wilderness and stay at least once a year!
Disney has 3 levels of sites (standard, preferred, premium, I think). We always stay in one of the top two. All the sites are back in and most are fairly easy to get into.
The resort is very large... rent (or bring) a golf cart.
Use Disney transportation, you'll spend a lot of time waiting for buses and boats but you'll meet great people and relax a lot more.
If you have kids, go to the campfire at least once and be sure to spend some afternoon time at the pool (lots of supervised kids games)

Have fun. Your wallet will be a lot lighter when you get home
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
You might also try the Locations & Info forum for more responses.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #11

Went to Disney 3 weeks ago, but wanted to save some on camping so we stayed at Lake Louisa State Park, 17 miles away, have some full hookup sites and best of all 26 bucks. Also very quite park, very clean.
no3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
To compare Ft. Wilderness to a "typical" high end RV park is apples and oranges. Firstly, it is obscenely expensive, but as noted earlier, everything with the mouse stamped on it is. It's all about the experience.

The campground is one of the nicer ones you'll spend time at and could be considered a destination resort in it's own right. Add to that access to any of the Disney theme parks, other resorts or even Downtown Disney without the need to move your car.

The campground has been going through a transition in the more recent years to try and keep up with both demand and the ever growing size of our RVs. 30 years ago golf carts weren't allowed in the park (and we wish they still were not). Internal transportation was via bicycle or one of their open air trams (now replaced by 'city' busses). The foliage and undergrowth between sites was very dense, now much less so in an effort to eliminate non-native plant species. The theming was more consistent, even the garbage cans were made to look like a large tree stump.

A lot has changed over the last 30 plus years that we've been going there, not all to our preference, but that said, we still feel strongly that staying there is part of the Disney experience and other than the usually difficult to impossible to reserve state park site, even the non-Disney "nice" RV parks are relatively expensive. You might save a couple hundred over the week, tops, and have to put up with commutes into the theme parks, you'll have to pay for parking each day (I think at $15 per day). Staying on the property you can come and go, back and forth from the campground to the theme parks, multiple times each day with relatively little hassle.

By all means, stay at Ft Wilderness!
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #13

Camping at Disney World - The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

For further information and to ask question to serious Fort campers go to the above link.

We camp about 3 or 4 times a year there

JohnWW is offline   Reply With Quote