Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2018, 06:17 AM   #1

Driving RV charging house batteries?

2015 Thor 34.3 Miramar Bunkhouse. Anyone know where I can find this switch? I was told by Thor Tech that it is under the bed, but I can't find it there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140331_163331_206.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	215846  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2018, 06:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynascar48 View Post
We have a Thor 2015 Miramar 34.3 bunkhouse. When we bought it we were told that driving it would charge our house batteries. We haven't seen that that is happening. A year ago I called Thor tech and he said yes, it will. Camping World Tech said no, it won't. CW tech asked for schematics and determined that, no the batteries were not linked. The tech I spoke to at Thor yesterday said, yes they are linked and chassis battery will charge house batteries.

In addition, the Thor tech sent me a picture (see photo) and told me to look for this switch, which is under the bed and flip it to reset the GFI (my entire RV was dead except for the chassis battery). Later that day, I took a closer look at the picture (zoom in) and low and behold it isn't a switch. It is TWO BOLTS! GOOD FREAKING GRIEF. I spent 30 minutes sweating like a pig looking for this thing.

So, I don't know what to believe, or how to tell if the batteries are linked.

Someone mentioned in another thread concerning another brand RV that there is a switch that links them. Anyone know about that?

I am at my wits end.

Those aren't bolts .... they are the posts (connections) on a circuit breaker. Some breakers are manual reset and some are auto-reset. You would need to check it with a meter. As for charging, there are various devices that combine the batteries ... more info would be required from Thor. Ask for details regarding a BIRD, IRD, or Combiner. There are other acronyms.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:40 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok...let's slow down here. The image that you sent is a picture of a manual reset DC circuit breaker, the little black button at the top will push in and reset it. First off, this has nothing to do with GFCIs, they are for AC and this is for DC. The tech might be right if this breaker is between the chassis and house banks on the charge line from the alternator. The bolts are the connections...the button is the reset.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynascar48 View Post
I actually deleted this post when I discovered the button on the top and realized my mistake. I edited the post to ask where to find this apparatus. I can't find this apparatus, and have looked in most nook and cranny. Thor is sorely lacking in information. But I'll try again.

Hopefully someone with a Thor like yours can chime in with a location. My BIRD and it's associated relay/solenoid is in a baggage compartment .... yours (if it exists) could be anywhere but is usually located near the batteries.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:03 AM   #5

Have someone push the boost switch on and off, while you listen for the clunking.

That clunking item is what makes the chassis battery charge the house battery. It should clunk and connect when the engine is running.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries