Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Question Electric space heaters in Thor Ace

There are discussions on the plugs in motor homes, through the inverter etc. Has anyone found a plug in the ACE 29.1 in which it is safe to plug in a space heater?
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #2

Not sure I understand your question. You should be able to safely plug any UL Listed electric space heater into any of the 120 VAC outlets.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That's what I thought, but there is a thread with a currently 4 page discussion on this matter. They are talking way over my head with number of watts etc. I gave discovered that I can not use my electric frying pan and run both the microwave and stove hood fan without blowing a fuse. So I guess I'm asking if there is one plug which would be better than others. This other thread even suggested running a line just for the electric heater.
Home base Phoenix Az
Old 11-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
All motorhome 110 outlets have their amp limits. We just have to not overload them with TOO MANY 1500 wat appliances at a time. If you are tripping breakers....thats what you are doing. It doesn't matter wheather the power is inverted 12 volt or 110 shore power. The breakers only know that the amp draw is too much.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The thread I'm referring too is under the Class A discussion. I can not cut and paste a link on this devise. Will try in the morning when I can get to my computer.
Home base Phoenix Az
Old 11-19-2012, 12:23 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Need to figure out which devices and outlets are on which circuit breakers, and connect the heater accordingly.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #7

I popped a few breakers until I figured out which outlets were on seperate circuits.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I popped a few breakers until I figured out which outlets were on seperate circuits.
+1. In a MH a 115 volt circuit will probably only have a 15 amp breaker on a given line. Doesn't take much to hit that load. As an example, here in my office, I'll have the lap top going (how much could that draw?????), the TV and three over head light bulbs (40 watt's each).

Have a 'oil boiler' type space heater (why heat the whole house to keep one room warm?) and when it kicks in the lights dim. Highly suggestive I'm right at the end of the 15 amp breaker.

Already purchased a 20, just need to get off my butt and swap out the lower for a slightly higher. 5 amps is no big deal ... beyond that? Now you're talking a whole new ball game .... don't go there!
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/pote...ch-115604.html
This is the link to the thread that I was speaking about.
If anyone has any idea of which plug I should try it would be wonderful.
Even though we live in the desert it gets really cold here at nights now, so on our next trip I know we will need heat after sundown. As we have not used this MH during this time of year I do not know if we will need the electric heater to assit.
Tjanks for any help from those of youwho have figured out this question.
Home base Phoenix Az
Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We used our 1500w space heater this past weekend. It was running all night with no problems. Also ran it some before going to bed with the TV and overhead lights turned on with no problems.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have an outlet for a washing machine that is your best bet, Or the Microwave's oulet.

however I will tell you what I did in my Intruder... I put in a pair of 15/20 amp outlets (These are the ones with the "T" shaped neutral slot) Each of these has it's very own length of 12GA Romex stripped and bent around the screw and tightened. This runs to a breaker deidcated to that outlet.

Now: That said. We have plugged space heaters into the RV's original outlets in most cases with no problem,,, ONE of them gave me concern, Just one.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've been using the Delonghi small oil-filled radiator type when on shore-power. The lowest setting is MORE than enough to heat the entire coach. And, even after the heater is turned off, it's still heating the coach for at least 30 minutes.
bodycoach2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodycoach2 View Post
We've been using the Delonghi small oil-filled radiator type when on shore-power. The lowest setting is MORE than enough to heat the entire coach. And, even after the heater is turned off, it's still heating the coach for at least 30 minutes.
I use the same thing, but two units. One in the bedroom and the other in the main cabin. As supliments to the regular floor furnace, they worked a treat. You will have to use the FF to circulate the warm air unless you also have a fan going.

But you will when you get handed your power bill if staying long term someplace.
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #14

judy3972,

I read through the thread you referred to, and most of it discusses running an electric space heater in coaches with invertors. Our ACE's do not have an invertor (just a convertor), so it's largely a non-issue for us.

Tags
thor