RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2017, 04:57 PM   #1

Electrical Outlet Issues

Can anyone tell me how many GFCI's are on an 2016 ACE 29.2? I can only find the one in the bathroom. But I am not convinced there is not another one. The outlet above our sink and the outlet under the dining room table have all of a sudden stopped working. Both say they are GFCI protected, but the outlet in the bathroom does work, as well as all the other outlets. Very confusing to me why they just stopped working.

I took both the outlet out and check to see if the connections were ok and they appear to be good. Just don't understand what is going on.

dlmcclintock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2017, 05:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I am not familiar worth with you specific unit. However, one gfi can service several down stream outlets and they in effect become gfi protected. If there is not a second gfi that is tripped or a breaker tripped I would pull the gfi in the bathroom. Check and see if there are wires connected to all four terminals on the gfi. Check and make sure there is 120 volts between the silver and brass colored bottom terminals that service the downstream outlets. If not, replace th gfi. Hope this helps.

Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:13 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
One more comment, check your circuit breaker box, there are GFI breakers. They will probably have a yellow test button on the breaker.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:15 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know your coach, but if the sink and dining are on a slideout, it could be that the wire to the slideout pulled out. Some mfg's use plugs going to the slideout. Crawl into the basement and look up to see if you see any plugs that are coming apart.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Check your wiring (with a meter) to see if one of Mickey's cousins has been visiting.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
I don't know your coach, but if the sink and dining are on a slideout, it could be that the wire to the slideout pulled out. Some mfg's use plugs going to the slideout. Crawl into the basement and look up to see if you see any plugs that are coming apart.
Thanks, I will look to see as these outlets are on a slide. But I do have a TV outlet and the microwave outlet on the slide as well and they both are working.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:30 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Registry

"Check your wiring (with a meter) to see if one of Mickey's cousins has been visiting."

I am going to do that tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:30 PM   #8

New Horizons Owners Club
Check the breakers on your inverter.
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullin' Chocks View Post
BINGO!! Had the same problem once in my coach. One breaker on inverter was tripped. Flipped back on and bathroom circuit and all others were hot after gfi reset.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullin' Chocks View Post
I did, none tripped.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBS-POPS View Post
BINGO!! Had the same problem once in my coach. One breaker on inverter was tripped. Flipped back on and bathroom circuit and all others were hot after gfi reset.
I hope it is that simple for me as well. I will check the breakers again tomorrow just to verify. Thanks.

It's just weird because all the other outlets work. Even the one in the bathroom which is the GFCI.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:50 PM   #12

One of the wires on the "load" side of the GFCI may have come off. Do you have a plug tester to check the dead outlets? You may just want to unplug the coach from shore power aand pull the GFCI out and check the connections.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
One of the wires on the "load" side of the GFCI may have come off. Do you have a plug tester to check the dead outlets? You may just want to unplug the coach from shore power aand pull the GFCI out and check the connections.
Thanks for the advise... I will do that tomorrow as well.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:14 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Though some electricians insist the TV and Microwave are not often GFCI, the microwave often has its own breaker as well.

Two suggestions.. First press the TEST button in the bathroom, does a red tell-tale come on.> Good press RESET job finished.

Now, as the Moody Blues titled the song, TWILIGHT TIME, You want it DIM in the RV but not so dark you fall over stuff..... Look for the telltale

Check under the bed, under the fridge, under... anything you can look under.. Even in the basement.. IF it's a 2nd GFCI you will likely find the little red light.

Next. Starting with the bath

Pull the thing and check the wireing on the back (Suggestion, Breaker OFF) you should have two pair of connecitons, (or two Triplelet connections)
Line in (Black and white) line out (Black and white_) and optional Green./bare.

Make sure they are all good (Some have had failures) check (Breaker on) for voltage on the line-out

IF you have a slide you have two junction boxes under the slide, and some kind of flexible cable between them.. It may be a coil of wire wrapped around a rod or piston, It may be an articulated arm (What I have) but there will be a junction box on each end.

Flexible to solid wire connections are common points of failure

Be sure to SEAL the boxes against moisture when you re-close.

Then you need to check each and every outlet that is not working
And every outlet that is working, but does not if you TRIP (Test) teh GFCI, Use a night light or some such to quick test to find ones that do/do not work.

Tags
electrical