Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #1

Electrical Problem in New Coach

We recently purchased a 2013 Thor Challenger 37DT and have some electrical problems. We are hoping there is a simple fix to avoid packing up and heading to the service garage.

When we are unhooked from shore power none of the lights, etc work in the coach. We pressed the Battery Use switch at the entry and my husband says the batteries look good. Any thoughts?

Last night I plugged a space heater into the outlet at the passenger seat. Yes, I now know that was not a good thing. All the entertainment stuff shut down. I pressed the WFCO remote inverter switch and the red light came on as did all the entertainment stuff. What we don't remember, is was that red light on prior to the entertainment equipment not working. In light of the fact that the 12 volt system isn't working the lights, etc without shore power - should that red light be on?

My husband cannot find the inverter and he thinks he has looked everywhere. Any ideas where we might find it? It's a 600w inverter.

Thanks for any help.
Mthomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and

Sorry to hear of your problem.

Your inverter is most likely in one of your basement compartments, perhaps on the ceiling of the basement compartment. Check the breakers on your inverter. Check the breakers in the breaker panel(s) in the coach. Make sure all battery switches are in the on position.

Can you run your generator, if so do you then have lights and power?
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mthomps View Post

Last night I plugged a space heater into the outlet at the passenger seat. Yes, I now know that was not a good thing. All the entertainment stuff shut down. I pressed the WFCO remote inverter switch and the red light came on as did all the entertainment stuff. What we don't remember, is was that red light on prior to the entertainment equipment not working. In light of the fact that the 12 volt system isn't working the lights, etc without shore power - should that red light be on?

My husband cannot find the inverter and he thinks he has looked everywhere. Any ideas where we might find it? It's a 600w inverter.

Thanks for any help.
A space heater draws WAY too many watts to be run from an inverter and your house batteries.

I would NOT recommend you doing that again. A space heater can be used while on shore power or your generator running.

Since I am unfamiliar with your rig, I cannot recommend any answers to your other concerns. Look for someone with a similar rig who could help you.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #4

more help

We found converter on roof of storage vay but no inverter. If the inverter remote's red light is on and TV working doesn't that mean it is working?

What do you mean by battery swtches?

We have shore power and heat so that is good. Just need to get power when not plugged in.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mthomps View Post
We found converter on roof of storage vay but no inverter. If the inverter remote's red light is on and TV working doesn't that mean it is working?

What do you mean by battery swtches?

We have shore power and heat so that is good. Just need to get power when not plugged in.
Should be 3 battery switches.
1) Salesman switch, typically located by the entry door, disconnects 12 volt to lights etc...
2) Chassis disconnect, typically in an outside compartment, check battery compartment or nearby. Designed to completely disconnect the chassis batteries from the coach. In reality you will often find it still has minor parasitic loads.
3) Coach disconnect, should be located next to the chassis disconnect. Designed to completely disconnect the 12v to the coach. Often has parasitic loads when disconnected as well.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #6

Check under the bed too
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
According to the specs for your coach, the Inverter and Converter are separate units. The Inverter is an option.

2013 Challenger Motorhomes: Class A RV by Thor Motor Coach

However, you state that you THINK there is an inverter because of the RED light being on and TV working. I am assuming that you tested this while NOT hooked to shore power.

If indeed you have an inverter, it has nothing to do with any 12 VDC devices or lights. The inverter provides 120 VAC to some or all of your 120 VAC duplex outlets.

Your house batteries provide 12 VDC to run your 12 VDC devices and lights. The converter is a device to charge the house batteries and keep them fully charged when hooked to shore power or generator. It may also provide 12 VDC to power your lights and other 12 VDC devices if the house batteries are disconnected.

Without knowing your specific wiring diagrams for your coach it is difficult to troubleshoot this via this thread.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You said you pressed the battery use switch near the door.. There are two switches on that panel if I'm not mistaken, the bottom one is the USE/STORE switch, it is a 3 position rocker, The TOP one is a "Test" switch, it is also a 3 position rocker but both UP and DOWN do the same thing, (in both cases the center position does nothing, it's a spring return momemtary by the way)

Press the top of the bottom switch, you should hear a CLUNK and the little red light should come on, And all will be good.

now.... that said. the key word is should.. I did not.

Pressing the bottom of the switch gave me a good clunk but no joy on the top

If this happens you got some work to do.. If it is an Intelletec Battery control system (I described that brand of panel, you did too for that matter) find the actual BCC (The place the clunk comes from) and open the cover, Find the fuse that feeds the switch (it is a 5 amp, and removing it will cause the clunk in the STORE postion to not happen) and pull it for a while.. Now operate teh switch like 50 times, put the fuse back and see if it works,, If it did, Buy lotto tickets cause luck is with you (ok, you don't have to do that) Make a donation to a church for me. (My fee for fixing your rig at no cost).
Old 01-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #9

Well here is the latest on our electrical problem. First I want to thank everybody that has offered their thoughts. They were much appreciated. We have figured out how to get connected to our coach batteries! We had to push and HOLD the 'use' switch by the front door. There are no additional battery switches.

We called Thor about the inverter and problem with the entertainment equipment. We do have both a converter (which we located) and an inverter. Thor tells us that the inverter is probably under the head of the bed which we will look for today when my husband gets home. The inverter is wired to run all the entertainment equipment while on the road and Thor has indicated that if they are only running on the inverter and not with power power then the inverter may need to be replaced as the bypass in it is not working. We are actually hoping there is a reset switch on it that will resolve it. So we hope to find that inverter under the bed today!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #10

The Electrical Problem is Totally Resolved

We have fixed all our problems! Thor told us to look under the head of the bed for the inverter and it was there. There was a breaker on it that had flipped so all we had to do was reset it. So all the entertainment stuff is now running off the shore power again. The inverter is reset. The coach batteries are connected. All we had to do was push and hold the use button by the door for a few seconds. Life is good and we didn't have to take it into the service garage. It would have been very helpful if the manuals could be better written and give better instructions.

Tags
electrical