Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2016, 09:07 PM   #1

Expanding battery bank

I recently purchased a 2016 Hurricane 29M Class A Motorhome which came with 2 100amp/hour wet cell batteries. I'd like to expand to 4 batteries. Does anyone know the factory installed converter capacity and know if it will support charging 4 100amp/hour batteries?

I presume 4 batteries discharged to 50% state of charge will take longer to fully charge compared to the 2 original batteries but wanted to ask the experts if it will handle the additional batteries (albeit a longer charge period).

Also, I've been trying to read as much as I can on battery care and maintenance. I've found some websites which indicate the converter can include a periodic equalization charge, does anyone know if the stock Hurricane converter includes this process?
Wdeertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2016, 05:56 PM   #2

Hi,
No expert here.
Looking at the general specs. for your coach, sorry I don't have a Hurricane. It appears to me that you have a std. 1000w inverter installed. I'd suggest looking for the make and model of your specific inverter model so you can obtain it's specs. and set up info. In the case of many inverters they handle charging capabilities and often have programmable multi-stage parameters and other advanced features/options.
I'd suspect also, it would handle your increased charging requirements as inverters are typically underutilized or throttled due to temp limitations etc..

Continue your research on cell equalization and cell batch matching. Arrays will tend to digress to the lowest common denominator, lowering over all capacity. That may be a manual operation?

If not equipped, perhaps invest in a shunt type battery monitor that in addition to voltage, measures amperage flows for far more accurate watt hour calculations.

Happy motoring.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:47 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I've subsequently found the converter/charger specs and see it only puts out 55amps but is in fact a 3 stage charger WF-8955 | wfcoelectronics.com But doesn't include a desulfication charge mode. If I understand the battery technology from my research the AGM batteries do not need to be desulficide so if I switch to 100% AGM batteries this shouldn't be an issue.

I think I am going to bite the bullet and swap out the wet cell batteries and go 100% AGM. I'll need to upgrade the converter/charger to 90amps or more down the road.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:08 PM   #4

Just curious what your "inverter" does during all this?
My Magnum inverter handles most / all of the charging task and has a temp probe (BTS) Battery Temp Sensor.
Even my last set of Trojan 6V lasted nearly 5yrs. on a basic converter similar to yours.
Your selection for charging needs to allow for temp. variations especially if your going to ramp up charging rates.
I understand wanting to reduce generator run times, peak sun light etc.
AGMs among their other merits don't enjoy temp extremes. An un-monitored high absorption rate left unchecked in the 120 deg. desert could drastically reduce the service life of a costly battery bank. Even temps over 80Deg. F can reduce AGM cell service life by 50%

Do some more research at the solar guru sites before dropping $1500 on AGMs. Especially if your current batteries aren't scrap yet. Everything is a compromise Everyone has different requirements.

Happy motoring.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:38 AM   #5

My inverter does not have a charger built in so strictly converts DC to AC. I keep waffling on my decision and am now considering just adding 2 wet cells in the next bay rather than taking out the brand new batteries which came with the RV and going 100% AGM.

Your statement that everything is a compromise is so true.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:46 AM   #6

FWIW - have you tried running with what you have first? It may be all you need.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW - have you tried running with what you have first? It may be all you need.
The RV came with only a 1000 watt inverter which won't run our coffee maker. I am installing a new 2000 watt inverter and from everything I've read a 2 100 amp battery bank will be insufficient for a 2000 watt inverter, even if only run for short 15 minute periods. The RV is new so I'm assuming same capacity batteries will play nice as one single battery bank.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:40 AM   #8

FWIW a set of batteries connected together is a battery bank. ;-) I'd check my battery ratings before I added the 2000 watt inverter. There are optimum discharge currents for different battery constructions. Deep cycle storage batteries are not designed for high current short term use so you could significantly degrade battery life that way.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW a set of batteries connected together is a battery bank. ;-) I'd check my battery ratings before I added the 2000 watt inverter. There are optimum discharge currents for different battery constructions. Deep cycle storage batteries are not designed for high current short term use so you could significantly degrade battery life that way.
Yes aware of the high discharge rate issue. Most charts I've seen show a 50% reduction in amp hours at a 1 hour discharge rate compared to the standard 20 hour discharge. Our coffee maker has a stated draw of 1250 watts but putting a Kill-a-watt unit on the coffee maker shows it only peaks at this wattage for maybe 10-15 seconds while it heats the water. When it's grinding the beans and pressing the espresso the wattage is generally in the 700-800 watt range. From my calculations of our daily usage I think a 4 X 100amp/hour battery bank should suffice.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:02 AM   #10

If you could fit paired 6 volt golf cart batteries, with two you would have 230 amp hour rating. With four, 460 amp hour. GC are true deep cycle. Much better than marine type 12 volt.
Sehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:24 AM   #11

Interesting. In the previous class A, I had two Optima D31M house batteries (75ah). Johnson controls recommended limiting the charging current to no more than 10 amps per battery. AGM batteries are a member of the VRLA types of batteries and have very different charging requirements if you want then to last 10 years or more. Basically they need the three main charging modes. Any special charging modes may damage the batteries. When my flooded batteries need changing, I go back to the AGMs in my Hurricane. What I liked most was there is no self discharge. Turn the battery switch off and leave the coach for the winter (4 months) and they are still fully charges when we head for Florida in March.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdeertz View Post
The RV came with only a 1000 watt inverter which won't run our coffee maker. I am installing a new 2000 watt inverter and from everything I've read a 2 100 amp battery bank will be insufficient for a 2000 watt inverter, even if only run for short 15 minute periods. The RV is new so I'm assuming same capacity batteries will play nice as one single battery bank.
I currently run a Magnum Hybrid 3000 inverter of the entire coach off the two 50AH ah batteries that came with the Winnebago. I plan on upgrading the batteries probably to 2 6V 220AH one first, and perhaps two lithium 100 AH later or more if I feel like dedicating space to others.

However the two cheap factory batteries work fine with the inverter and will even start and the run the 15k BTU AC for a short time (I ran for 20 mins once just to exercise the system).

I just boondocked some out in Utah and the 100 AH bank would easily run some lights, exhaust fans, TV, coffee maker and toaster in the morning and computer/cell charging I think hitting about 40 AH out.

I did this to get a feel for what I wanted to do with the batteries, I also got the Magnum BMK battery monitor, which IMO is a must (or a Trimetric). That way you can really get to know how much AH your using before upgrading your bank. Also the Magnums charger is far superior to the WFCO which came with my Winnie.

The only issue I currently have is the Magnum is always looking for low voltage to switch it's transfer relays even with the inverter section turned off. Since my entire 30 amp coach is run through the inverter the AC startup will sometimes sag the input voltage on startup usually when on the my 4000 Onan generator and the inverter will switch over even when set at its lowest setting of 60V. If the inverter is on it will startup the AC off battery if the inverter is off it will just shutdown power for 15 seconds. I have a surge guard that looks for 102v for disconnect and does not trip but the Magnum does at 60v, its very sensitive like a UPS, which is good for keep things running but bad for heavy load startup. I wish it would not transfer unless the inverter section was on or I wish I could make it even less sensitive.

So I would suggest doing a sub panel for inverter loads if you don't have one already, which yours probably does. I am probably doing a Micro-Air Easystart soft starter for the AC to reduce start surge.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:55 AM   #13

Thanks for all the feedbacks. I've moved this discussion to a new posting in the RV Systems forum as its probably more appropriate there as its moved beyond a Thor discussion.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/expan...ml#post3139416

Tags
battery