Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #1

Fiberglass Bubble

Hi to all, anyone has any bubble problem with the RV? Need some recommendation. I did chalk around the area and had the roof reseal. Bubble is located on the driver side just to the right of the slide out of the living/dinette. One RV repair shop does not do this kind of work. Any one recommends RV shop in Florida?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Bubbles in Driver Side 001.jpg
Views:	1012
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	584   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Bubbles in Driver Side 002.jpg
Views:	2224
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	585  

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Bubbles in Driver Side 003.jpg
Views:	892
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	586  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #2

Well two days ago I put the Hurricane into the shop to get an estimate on getting the bubble repair. Very sad moment could I know is going cost big $$$$$. Moment like this make me feel like to trade it in. But, that will cost more then just getting the Hurricane repair. Learn a new phase “You’re upside down”. When the Hurricane is back we'll go to Lebanon, PA, Thousand Trails.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:07 AM   #3

hi, i just saw your note and was wondering if you ever talked to four winds about the bublble.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #4

Billyb yes I did contact them by e-mail and sent them the photos. They said that I was out of warranty and that the bubble was due to water leak. We search for any crack, etc and there is none. I have been keeping up with the maintenance. In my research I found out that this problem could have been cause due to bad glue, poor workmanship, etc. I am getting a few estimates and as soon as I found one within reasonable price for me I will have the job done. I will be present to take photos and while is getting done I will document everything. If there is no water spot, stain etc. behind the fiberglass I am thinking is was a poor job by Fourwind. They favorite word is "Out of warranty".
Old 06-20-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It looks like delamination on the Filon and the luan backer. Mostly it is caused by water leaks which get the luan wet and it comes apart. This can get very expensive to repair.

You do need to get the windows and roof resealed first. The problem with this type problem is that you can not see into the wall and down tot he floor and see the total extent of the damage within the wall.

Best of luck.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:32 AM   #6

i think i would take a trip to their factory and see the head man about fixing the problem. i think they have a 3 year warranty on the box as they call it. i know if i have a problem like that, i will do the 11 hour trip out there and cry to them.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #7

Hello to all I am back and the Hurricane Bubble is gone. I had it repair and it is looking good.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife View Post
Hello to all I am back and the Hurricane Bubble is gone. I had it repair and it is looking good.
Where did you finally decide to get it done? I fought a tree while in Alaska and the tree won. Requires replacement of the rear cap in its entirety. We are stopping by Elkhart on the way home to have it done at a shop not too far from the factory. The factory doesn't (Four Winds speak for didn't want to) do that kind of work on out of warranty models. The shop has a good rapport with the factory and will be able to get whatever parts are needed quickly is why we chose to have it done there.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:12 AM   #9

Did you have the work done in Florida? I have a similiar problem with my rig and need to get it repaired. Please let me know who did your work and how do they price it. Thanks
Ray Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:21 PM   #10

We had it done at the dealer where I brought the RV. They did an outstanding job and cheaper then those others. The dealer is Harberson Swanston in Holiday, FL on US19. Sorry it took long to answer we are at the 1000 trails in clermont, fl, near Old Town in Florida.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:36 AM   #11

Thanks for the information. I will check with them folks about a repair. My bubbles are on the front cap of my trailer...but look very similar as your pictures. I think water got under the cap from a badly installed clearance light. I am out of warranty, naturally.
Ray Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #12

you are welcome, keep us posted
Old 08-17-2009, 02:38 PM   #13

my life, did you determine where the water was getting in.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #14

Billy, no it couldn't be determine where the water was getting in. So just in case all caulking around the area was done and it was check away from the area in case. I am keeping my eyes open and checking the job just in case because i have 3 months guarantee. It been raining here in Florida a lot and heavy and so far is good.