RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Four Winds forum??

I have pretty much searched IRV2 for a Four Winds forum, and found a thread that indicated that the Thor forum would be the place to go since FW is manufactured by Thor Industries. But I am having trouble finding FWs discussions there.

I just purchased a 1998 FW Chateau 31N - without a manual ! I took it to an RV shop to have it checked out before I take my first trip in it, but know I will need some expertise from other FW owners as I go along. Where are the FW owners?

justsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #2

Many posts are made in non-vendor forums.
If you search on four-winds or four-winds-chateau you will see much more

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Here's one!
Old 08-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #4

Me Too

WE are here. We went from bumper pull 30 ft. Forest River to our 2011 31 ft. Chateau. Bought it used, so far so good, fixed a couple of small water leaks, added tow package and rear camera. OH, forgot, had to get a used 2005 Jeep to tow . . . glad my wife loves me . . . .
Old 08-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #5

We do need a Fourwinds forum. I have a 2010 Hurricane. We are really enjoying it. Issue though, our Onan generator shuts down when we are on the road. It may be heat related. The generator has the ability to run all day long in 115 plus degree with no problem. However, as soon as we hit the road it shuts down. Tough on my passengers when they have no AC. Today we started in Flagstaff at 67 degrees. The generator ran for about 2 hours as we headed south until the thermometer hit 112.

Oil level is good; I have cleaned the spark arrestor and no visible damage. I need help with a solution. Let me know if you have run into similar issue.
Bymorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #6

Update. Heard back from Thor Customer Service. They are recommending taking it to an Onan service center to have the fuel pump tested. That is my next stop. Funny ran fine today for 7 hours while tailgating before a soccer game.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bymorris View Post
Update. Heard back from Thor Customer Service. They are recommending taking it to an Onan service center to have the fuel pump tested. That is my next stop. Funny ran fine today for 7 hours while tailgating before a soccer game.
When my Emerald Plus 4000 gives me problems starting or staying running, it's always the air intake. I would check your airbox inlet is set to Summer. I assume you have one too. Maybe loosening your airbox will allow more air in to the mixture and keep the Gen running longer while driving. I'm feeling it's an air issue.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Also maybe you can try setting your air mixture to a higher altitude. Being that you are having air rush by while driving fast your Gen may get less air to use. I can set my Gen to 10000 feet. Perhaps you can too. Just my thoughts on this matter.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #9

Four Winds Forum

Newer owner of a 05 Mandalay 40B. Just getting started with the new world of DP. Have had C, tt, Pop ups... DP the way to go. So far so good with the Mandalay. Luxury division hit all the right notes. Would be glad to see a four Winds forum. RFS
R F S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FW5000DRIVER View Post

Also maybe you can try setting your air mixture to a higher altitude. Being that you are having air rush by while driving fast your Gen may get less air to use. I can set my Gen to 10000 feet. Perhaps you can too. Just my thoughts on this matter.
The altitude setting did not work. I tried that a couple of months ago. I have also cleaned the spark arrestor and ensured the air filter was clean.

My rig is at the service center now and the generator is one of the repair issues. I am having the generator serviced and the spark plugs changed out. I asked to have the fuel pump tested per Onan's suggestion. I'm keeping my finger tips crossed that one of these will correct the problem. I'm headed to Flagstaff next weekend so we should find out if the generator is cured.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
might want to check the fuel line leading from the fuel tank. since it runs well while sitting still, and the problem occurs while traveling, could be the fuel line getting kink
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
I'm with you guys about having a Four Winds owners forum. When I had my Montana fifthwheel I belonged to "MOC" owners.com" I met some of the Montana owners in person and there was a wealth of information for Montana owners and great help from all the members. So maybe someone will start a FourWinds owners forum.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #13

I emailed Onan a

Couple of weeks ago. Onan suggested testing the fuel pump. I passed this along to my service writer and after several phone calls he had the technician check the fuel pump. Guess what, it failed the diagnostic test. I now have a new fuel pump on my Onan generator.

I ran it today from Phoenix to Flagstaff in 100 degree temperatures and it ran the whole way without any issues. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the issue is resolved.

Thanks again for everyone's input. Happy Travels🚍
Old 09-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks again for everyone's input. Happy Travels?de8d
Nice! Glad you figured it out. Have fun staying cool!

Tags
forum