RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2019, 01:32 PM   #29

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
Hello Adam

Did you get your generator issue resolved ?
I hope so.

Let us know

HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Generator

It's still cutting off just not as frequent. Within the next two months I will be dropping it to replace the plugs, fuel filter, change air filter, oil, oil filter and will change out the low oil sensor at that time. I will also be inspecting all electrical connections.

Adam1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:40 PM   #31

Thor Owners Club
More generator problems

Never found the source of the cutting off but this trip the generator went off and will not crank again. I can hear some noise coming from the generator but it's not the starter. Confused more now.

I've read a lot of bad stories about taking it to Cummins for work. I also have read bad stories for Camping World work on them too.

Trying to figure out what I'm going to do.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:00 PM   #32

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
I hit a bump on interstate.
The hot wire arc welded itself to the housing.
Over the years it had been rubbing the rubber coating on the wire until the wire was bare.
It would ground out a second when I hit a bump but never stuck.

Finaly it stuck and shut everyrhing down instantly.

Luckily I didnt have a fire.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:01 PM   #33

We did re rout the cables to the starter
After that.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:12 AM   #34

I have been to three different Cummins Onan service centers with generator problems and have had good results from each. However, they are not cheap. Back in 2014, one in Michigan charged $100/hour for Diesel trucks but $125/hour for motorhomes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1219 View Post
...I've read a lot of bad stories about taking it to Cummins for work....
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:32 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1219 View Post
Never found the source of the cutting off but this trip the generator went off and will not crank again. I can hear some noise coming from the generator but it's not the starter. Confused more now.

I've read a lot of bad stories about taking it to Cummins for work. I also have read bad stories for Camping World work on them too.

Trying to figure out what I'm going to do.
Here is a link where you may find your service manual. Also, here's the no crank flow chart.
Problems that are not fixed normally get worse. I know you have tried. I suspect an Onan shop would have very little problem diagnosing your current problem.

http://www.twinslan.net/~n0nas/manuals/onan/
Attached Files
File Type: pdf onan cranking.pdf (8.8 KB, 3 views)

Retire 2020 GLW
okcnewbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:45 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJLowell View Post
We did re rout the cables to the starter
After that.
So it was the 12 volt incoming wire that was the problem, and not outgoing 120 volt?
Edit: I see that this was the problem with the no start, not with the generator stopping when you hit a bump - that issue is yet to be resolved.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:42 PM   #37

It was the hot 12 volt wire to the generator starter.
When it arc welded itself to the generator frame under the lid.
It blew a fuse.
No step
No 12 volt lites
No generator
Etc, etc.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:49 PM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Here is a link where you may find your service manual. Also, here's the no crank flow chart.
Problems that are not fixed normally get worse. I know you have tried. I suspect an Onan shop would have very little problem diagnosing your current problem.

http://www.twinslan.net/~n0nas/manuals/onan/
Thank you so much!!

Now to find mine in there:

5.5HGJAB-1038K

I think the last letter of K is the build right?

I really appreciate it.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:04 PM   #39

We had a similar issue last spring. It turned out that the printed circuit board inside the control box needed re-soldered. Several of the solder joints on the board had cracked over the years and made intermittent connections. With the cover off of the control, I could start the generator, and then just barely touch the board and the engine would die.

There was also an issue with the connector from the control box to the generator. The contacts were corroded... this issue popped up in the middle of a trip, and I was forced to remove the connector and splice all 17 circuits together with shrink-butt splice connectors. The box is hard wired to the generator now, but it's not a problem... until I have to remove the control box for other repairs...

-duane
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:44 PM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Thanks to all in this forum

Thank you to everyone in this forum who provided me with ideas, hypothesis and manuals. I have one more day to try and locate the issues which is this Sunday. After that I will have to take it into Cummins. I spoke with Cummins after finding out they offered mobile field service. Wow! They were very nice but this starts at $1,000.00 and they carry no parts so the second trip back to install parts and make the repair will be in addition to this charge. Even though I have a third party warranty company (who to date has treated me very well) I spoke with them and they would not cover fees like travel and distance charges for a generator. So if I don't get this figured out on Sunday it will be going to Cummins on the 30th which is my next full day off on a weekday (they are closed on the weekends).

Cummins did tell me in order to really check the unit it needed to be removed. He said there is really no easy way to check this unit well while mounted under the RV. Hopefully I will only have to pay my deductible of $200 if I need to have Cummins find the issue and make the permanent repair.

Thanks again for all your help! Hopefully my next entry will be what the issue was and how it was repaired. Between Sunday and November 1 we shall know and I will be so happy.

Tags
generator