Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2017, 10:04 PM   #1

Guns and Stuff

Greetings,

My question is for you all: Where do you keep things of importance inside your Class A and or C like a gun, or money, or some sort of valued object when you go away from your coach for a while?

Is there some type of security device one purchases for this type of thing or just hope like heck that someone doesn't break in.

For the most part I know that there is usually someone there or near enough not to be a great concern but there are times when you might be fishing or even just walking and the coach is out of ones eyesight for a brief moment so I thought I would ask your opinion on this.

As I have a good amount of Canon DSLR gear and a firearm to deal with
Thanks, Jake

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2017, 10:15 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In my last rig I installed a one gun safe right beside the driver and a safe in the closet.
Present rig has a safe in the closet but I haven't installed the gun safe yet as the floor is tile and I haven't dared to bore holes through it.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:56 AM   #3

X2 on safe

Mine is actually a locking cash box bolted down.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:09 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Why is this in the Thor owner's forum?
FMCA #F456868
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:14 PM   #5

Right, wrong forum
However I have 3 small safes all out of sight .
Old 09-26-2017, 04:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie. View Post
Why is this in the Thor owner's forum?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Right, wrong forum
However I have 3 small safes all out of sight .

Might have to due with the fact that OP is looking at purchasing a 2016 Quantum WS31....a THOR product

Dang
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:37 PM   #7

X3 on safe. One pistol safe, one safe for other stuff.
bobsharon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:41 PM   #8

Ernie - This is a forum about motorhomes and my question is about some form of security in motorhomes...

And yes, I am about to buy a Thor MH.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:24 PM   #9

I never really gave this a thought until I went to Nashville earlier this year. I took a lot of cash with me for the trip and i was going to be away from the rv most days all day and coming back late at night. I basically just hid my money in odd places. spreading it out as I didn't have a safe. My thinking is unless they flip this motorhome upside down and look in every crack and crevice they wont get it all and it will take them time to hunt it down. I have some really good hiding spots where i would hide a hundred here and there.

I know its not the most efficient or the safest but if im going to be broken into, they are going to work for it, and id rather they find 100 and leave thinking they got it versus finding a grand. I had cash hidden in basement storage, inside the rv, in the engine compartment figuring sure someone might go in and spend the time searching for it all inside but they wont spend the time going thru all my basement storage and stuff.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:03 AM   #10

I wonder how often an RV is broken into and things stolen? Excluding full timers, my guess is it is not common.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:08 AM   #11

I’m not sure telling folks on a public forum where you store your stuff is a good idea. Just like posting when you won’t be home. I don’t carry more than about $50 in cash don’t really have anything of great value with me in the mh. Phone is usually in my pocket which is perhaps my most expensive toy.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:30 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbelcher View Post
I never really gave this a thought until I went to Nashville earlier this year. I took a lot of cash with me for the trip and i was going to be away from the rv most days all day and coming back late at night. I basically just hid my money in odd places. spreading it out as I didn't have a safe. My thinking is unless they flip this motorhome upside down and look in every crack and crevice they wont get it all and it will take them time to hunt it down. I have some really good hiding spots where i would hide a hundred here and there.

I know its not the most efficient or the safest but if im going to be broken into, they are going to work for it, and id rather they find 100 and leave thinking they got it versus finding a grand. I had cash hidden in basement storage, inside the rv, in the engine compartment figuring sure someone might go in and spend the time searching for it all inside but they wont spend the time going thru all my basement storage and stuff.
If i were to that i would forget where i put some of it.

Once when we left for a trip DW put her jewelry in a pouch and i put it in a bin in the S&B garage. I figured with all the stuff in there it would take hours if not days for someone to go thru it all. Forgot which bin and almost got the whole garage organized before it was found.
2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit 31'
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:09 AM   #13

We really go out of our way to keep valuables in the motorhome to a minimum. No expensive jewelry or other toys, and trigger locks on firearms. To us, images are the only irreplaceable things, so camera cards may be pulled and taken with us, along with a computer back up on a stick, if we are going to be away for some time.

A vault would have to be extremely well hidden. Otherwise you run the risk of having your MH destroyed if someone attempts to remove it. Furthermore, using the scatter and hide method sounds good initially, but I feared that one or two "finds" may encourage further ransacking. Turning a quick theft into an Easter Egg hunt may backfire into extensive vandalism.

In short, we are more worried about damage to the motorhome than theft of the few personal items we may carry. Sure insurance will pay for both, but repairing damage to the motorhome could take weeks in the shop, while much of the other stuff can be replaced by mail order.
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:49 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Where I live, California law requires you to have a lockable tethered gun safe that is hidden from sight for those times that you are unable or not allowed to carry, like going to a courthouse. I bought a small safe with a combo keypad and rfid entry that I can tether out of sight to the base of the captains chair. It is pretty small but can put my wallet and cash or other smaller things into. Sadly it is not fire safe, which would have been preferred, but I can easily move it to the car as needed, so it works well for us.

rbradd is offline   Reply With Quote