RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2019, 09:03 AM   #1

Happy Thor Owners

I currently have a class A holiday rambler but I want a different floor plan. I have heard and read about how bad the Thor products are but I am sure there are some happy owners out there. Thor products are a lot less than others. If there is anyone who has had a good experience with Thor, please give me some positive feedback.

bshan0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2019, 09:09 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
This should be interesting.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:13 AM   #3

What Holiday Rambler do you have? We traded in our 2018 Coachmen Pursuit 30FW this past March for a Holiday Rambler Vacationer 35P after seeing one at an RV show and just love it.
RonRV.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:13 AM   #4

I WOULD NOT BUY A NEW ONE! It appeared to me when I bought mine, they didn't take the time to finish it! All is well with it now, but there were things I either had to fix, or take to a real good dealer(which if you don't altready have somebody), it can get real costly...
Good Luck!
GRUBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshan0711 View Post
Thor products are a lot less than others.
Now why do you suppose they cost a lot less than others?? In real life, you get what you pay for. They can all look pretty on the surface, but under the surface is where the product quality will be different. Thor produces a lot of RV's under various names, but I have never associated Thor with good quality.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:51 AM   #6

Had a 2017 Tuscany. First real trip was a 3 month excursion from Florida to Alaska. Had a couple of minor problems. Great trip in a nice coach.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:46 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
We have a THOR ACE 2013 29.2. We purchased it new from Camping World and got an extended warranty that really paid for itself. First, the dash air wasn't connected....the macerator didn't work and was replaced two times, the third time my husband totally removed it so we now use the gravity dump,,,,works just fine. Our jack motor quit but was totally replaced at a cost of $50. Our wall slide got stuck in the out position, that one took a while to fix because of where it happened and finding a repair shop. Now, six years later all is well, we've learned how to correct problems and are okay with our ACE ,,,the finish oxidized so badly that my husband removed all the ACE advertizing. Found a great product by K and S that really brought back the shine!
Chances are if you buy new, you probably will have issues, if you buy used probably most of the issues have been corrected. Best of luck!
Old 09-16-2019, 04:48 PM   #8

Research

We researched for well over a year before we purchased our Newmar and in that time, we read so many terrible reviews on the Thor both about quality and more importantly the quality and timeframes for getting things repaired. I would be very careful about picking any of their coaches but as with anything, you get what you pay for.

I am sure there are some satisfied Thor owners but you might want to consider proceeding with extreme caution.

Good luck!
Old 09-16-2019, 05:44 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
My friend bought a new Windsport 34J I believe it was. When he got it home and plugged into shore power his transfer switch would not engage. He asked me to take a look at it and we found the ATS under his bed underneath miles of wiring running every which way. I wish I had gotten a photo of it. It looked like a 12 year old's science project. That's when I knew I would never be interested in a Thor product.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:56 PM   #10

Well, Post #8 proves a point.

I apologize in advance to those who were praying for a Thor bashing posting, but.....

We bought a 2017 Thor Quantum WS31 in February 2017. It was the first production unit with the entertainment center and cabinets in the overhead rather than the bed.
The first problem was a broken tab in one of the accent lights on the front of the overhang. It took longer to get to the dealer than to fix it, but as a potential water intrusion point, I wanted them to fix it.
Next was damaged O-ring on a leveler hose at the pump. We thought it was a bad crimp on the line and LCI sent a replacement hose and then when I found the O-ring, they said to keep the hose for a spare.
Next was a factory service center trip the following January. They replaced a piece of flashing under the coach that was not correctly formed, adjusted the slide roller plates that were about 1/2 inch off (not causing a problem), replaced the water pump (just noisy), circuit board for water heater (not working on gas). They attempted to make a change in the wiring for the inverter (at my request) and ended up frying it and replaced it with a new one. They also replaced a piece of molding that I badly scratched, and a drawer that was mis-aligned. The didn't get the bathroom door in time to replace it and sent us a new one. There was a blemish in the stain that only SWMBO can really see.

The fit and finish on our coach and the usability have been nearly flawless. We haven't had any downtime in ours and except for laundry and showers we pretty much live in ours full time. I have made some minor upgrades such as changing the plastic flexible water lines with stainless ones, and adding an inverter driven outlet in the dinette. Are there things that I wish were better quality? Of course, everybody does but this was our near perfect starter coach and was at a price point less than we expected. Thor and LCI customer services and tech support have been far and away much better than anything we expected.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:52 PM   #11

I can't bash Thor either

We bought our unit new. And there were a few issues early on. Sink drain gasket in 1/2 bath improperly installed causing a leak that ruined a package of toilet paper. Radio died, Thor sent me a new one. There were some items we noticed at delivery, cracked cabinet door, missing remote, broken AC vent. Took way too long at the dealer to get them replaced. Dealer said Thor wouldn't send the parts. I called Thor. They emailed me the UPS shipping info that showed who had signed for the parts at the dealer weeks earlier. We have put almost 15k miles on the rig in 2 years. Never had an issue that kept us from using it. This is our 3rd class A, first Thor. We looked for 18 months before we purchased this one. I was one of those "never buy a Thor" guys. We looked at Fleetwood, Tiffin, Newmar, Forest River, pretty much everything. And while I really did think the Tiffin, in particular, was very well built, we could not find the right floor plan that had every thing we wanted. My wife was really impressed with the quality and fit and finish in our Aria. There were a few more issues during the first few months, but we have been so happy with it since then, that I honestly can't even remember what they were. And the customer service I have received from Thor has been excellent, even since our warranty expired. I know there are unhappy Thor owners out there, and unhappy owners of every other brand. But in my opinion, Thor's quality has come a very long ways since we first started shopping for our first class A in 1998.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:09 PM   #12

Google is your friend.....use it.
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:26 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thor is over 21 Brand Divisions from Airstream to Coleman to Starcraft, from Luxury 5th Wheels to Teardrops...and from the best selling entry level Class A 5 years running (ACE) to Luxury Diesel Pushers by Thor Motor Coach and Entegra (yes, different divisons).
https://www.thorindustries.com/brands

Any naysayer will not be able to account for this variety. Nor the literally thousands of happy owners like us.

Our 12 year old Class A is a dream. Reliable, affordable, and the best floorplan in it's class.

Thor Motor Coach was an early adopter of the Schwintek slide drives... 2013-2014 had real problems, but that's about it.

You can pay more, but you won't get more.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:07 AM   #14

Joining the happy Thor group. Have 60,000 miles on our 2014.5 Challenger without many problems. Thor factory service is great for warranty items. You can always reach a tech on the phone, day or night, weekday or weekend. Read the forum. Plenty of problems identified on Newmars and Tiffins too.

sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor