Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Having my first issue with new coach

Hi bought my 2013 Thor palazzo 33.3 bunk house in August and just dropped it off at the dealer for its first issue, having trouble with the slide out on drivers side they are thinking its the thermal couplers that are bad as the slide will move in about 2 inches and then stop a few seconds later it will move again. Was wondering if anyone else has had a issue with their slide out just so I can deal with this and know all my bases have been covered, don't like the place have to take it to they don't seem to listen to their customers but its the only dealer around me within 150 miles that can work on my unit.
jimbooth25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #2

we had the same issue on our Montana. There was a 40amp? auto resetting relay near the slide out motor that would pop due to overheating. Once it cooled down, usually less than 30 seconds, it would reset itself and the slide would move again. I replaced the relay and it would work fine for a while and then start doing it again so I just lived with it. Others have put two 30 amp relays in line to fix this issue.

Phil
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinrvers View Post
we had the same issue on our Montana. There was a 40amp? auto resetting relay near the slide out motor that would pop due to overheating. Once it cooled down, usually less than 30 seconds, it would reset itself and the slide would move again. I replaced the relay and it would work fine for a while and then start doing it again so I just lived with it. Others have put two 30 amp relays in line to fix this issue.

Phil
Sounds like the slide is either binding up or the motor is defective and drawing too much current to cause a 40 Amp relay to pop. Either of those scenarios would explain the breaker popping and re-setting even though you replaced it with a new one. I wouldn't recommend going to double 30 amp relays without fixing the reason for the over current situation. That would be like putting a 60 amp fuse in a circuit designed for a 40 amp fuse. At some point the breaker will stop popping but you may start melting the wiring.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #4

I vote for binding slide. I have read in on other threads about slides jumping a tooth and causing the slide to bind or not seat flush. Something to check or consider.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #5

I've got the 33.2 full side slide. Thor is replacing slide motors with high torque ones. Not sure if the 33.3 has large slide or not. With the New motors mine works considerable better. Still got some adjustment issues. Has gap in or near middle of slide.
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes mine has a whole side slide
Old 01-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #7

I would see if you can get the high torque motets put on your slide . They make a big difference. Sounds like you might have other issues too. I don't have any answers there.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The dealer called but I don't trust what they are saying, they are saying its acting up because the batteries are not fully charged, I asked how that could be since its always plugged in and the charger will charge then as needed? But it is not binding up it is squat in its hole and the motors Are the high torque ones. So it's gonna cost me 126.00 to get it back
Old 01-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbooth25 View Post
Hi bought my 2013 Thor palazzo 33.3 bunk house in August and just dropped it off at the dealer for its first issue, having trouble with the slide out on drivers side they are thinking its the thermal couplers that are bad as the slide will move in about 2 inches and then stop a few seconds later it will move again. Was wondering if anyone else has had a issue with their slide out just so I can deal with this and know all my bases have been covered, don't like the place have to take it to they don't seem to listen to their customers but its the only dealer around me within 150 miles that can work on my unit.
This is exactly what was happening on my Palazzo 33.2. Call Lippert Components. It's a Schwintek slide system, and Lippert was very helpful. Long story, but the short end of it is Lippert determined that some plastic shoes were missing and was causing metal on metal operation. (Not good) So they are sending a complete slide system and my coach will be repaired next week...

One last thing Lippert told me to make sure of a long life with the slide once it's repaired, is that you must stay on the slide button for a full 3-5 seconds after the slide is completely in or out.
bbc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc5 View Post

This is exactly what was happening on my Palazzo 33.2. Call Lippert Components. It's a Schwintek slide system, and Lippert was very helpful. Long story, but the short end of it is Lippert determined that some plastic shoes were missing and was causing metal on metal operation. (Not good) So they are sending a complete slide system and my coach will be repaired next week...

One last thing Lippert told me to make sure of a long life with the slide once it's repaired, is that you must stay on the slide button for a full 3-5 seconds after the slide is completely in or out.
Any explanation on that 3-5 seconds? Seems contrary to logic of not running something past a stop point.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Any explanation on that 3-5 seconds? Seems contrary to logic of not running something past a stop point.
Good question...I have noticed that after the coach has sat for a while (slides in) I can push the retract button and they will come in some as if the slide system motor relaxed a little. Now I do this prior to travel and it reduces the squeaking while traveling.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post

Good question...I have noticed that after the coach has sat for a while (slides in) I can push the retract button and they will come in some as if the slide system motor relaxed a little. Now I do this prior to travel and it reduces the squeaking while traveling.
Interesting, will give that a try. Also considering the second travel bar for the large slide but not sure where to get one. Also wondered if it would be better to have bar front and rear rather than top and bottom. I was shown to put the travel bar at the top but would it be better placed in the middle?

So many questions....
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Interesting, will give that a try. Also considering the second travel bar for the large slide but not sure where to get one. Also wondered if it would be better to have bar front and rear rather than top and bottom. I was shown to put the travel bar at the top but would it be better placed in the middle?

So many questions....
Jerry,

You can order a second slide locking bar from Camping World for about $40. You may be able to locate one at your local dealer camping store?

I have attempted to place a single bar on the top, middle, and bottom and I see no difference so I may buy a second one and install one on the top and the bottom. When I installed one in the middle I found that it did not hold too well because the trim on the slide flexed and I was afraid that I may damage the trim so I remove it in favor of installing it on the top.

Been thinking of a third and install on the top/rear of the slide...

Thanks!
Jack
Old 01-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #14

Does anyone notice that their large slide might be built with a bow in it. Mine is one inch out in the middle of the slide rather if it is in or out. Lets say the motors leave the slide out another 1/2 inch. Now u have a gap that will let water in. If you have your slide out just look down bottom side. Mine is easy to see bow.