Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2017, 08:39 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Not going to Catscale now

I read a lot of threads about this topic and it turns out the Cat scales are good for total weight but not weight by wheel. If you are in the Orlando, Florida area I found:

JOSAM
8849 Exchange Drive
Orlando, Florida
407-438-7020

Will give print out of each wheel.

$59.95

Appointment available but not required. Requests you call ahead and at least give them a heads up when your coming in though.

Adam1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2017, 08:50 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On my rig the owners manual says to only use the pressures on the Federal weight sticker, so I do and the ride is great.
CC had some tire failures attributed to running too low a pressure for the weight.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:52 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
On my rig the owners manual says to only use the pressures on the Federal weight sticker, so I do and the ride is great.
CC had some tire failures attributed to running too low a pressure for the weight.

I'm with you on that.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:01 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
JOSAM was Awesome!

Went to JOSAM today. Manager Barry was great!

I would HIGHLY recommend anyone in the Orlando area to use them. When I got there they were already working on 2 other RV's and had a few more on the lot to go.

Since mine was just to be weighed it did not take long at all. Barry requested I call ahead and give them an estimate as to when I would arrive so they plan accordingly. I called one hour ahead.

Once I got there he weighed my coach and went over the results within 20 minutes and I was out of there.

We need to support these good experts.

My results were not as bad as I thought:

My tires are: Goodyear G670 - 245/70R 19.5 LRG

Front left = 3400
Front right = 3300
Rear left = 5900
Rear right = 6050

Total = 18,650

Will run 80 psi all the way around.

Adam1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimacon View Post
Yes as after weighing I reduced my tire pressures significantly which improved the ride dramatically.
For example, my sticker just says 120 lbs everywhere. After weighing, I determined that I need 100 lbs on my front axle, but only 75 lbs on drive and tag axles. Now that's dramatic! I'm more than 6,000 lbs under my GVWR, mostly in the rear.

For safety and to give me some margin, I am actually using 110 front and 85 rear.
muskrat49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:24 PM   #20

Commercial Member

Not sure why people make this so hard or complicated.

A short and basic post on
How to Maximize tire life with minimum effort

is just one of my 40+ posts on RV tire inflation.

I am a real "expert" as I have been paid to teach tire failure analysis to hundreds of other tire and car engineers. I have even worked as a tire expert in car fatality cases. IMO simply owning a lot of tires or having driver a few hundred thousand miles doesn't make you an expert any more than having a mouth full of teeth doesn't make you qualified to be a dentist.

You can do a search on this forum for some of the hundred posts where I have clarified and answered the questions raised in this thread.

It would help if more people learned how to use the search function for Internet forums as the answers are usually already posted. You really only need to review the qualifications of those offering their opinion.

Have you read the thread in this forum on "Why tires Fail"?

Sorry for a bit of a rant but I cannot afford to continue to spend a couple hours every day answering the same questions over and over when the answers can be so easily found.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:18 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Not sure why people make this so hard or complicated.

A short and basic post on
How to Maximize tire life with minimum effort

is just one of my 40+ posts on RV tire inflation.

I am a real "expert" as I have been paid to teach tire failure analysis to hundreds of other tire and car engineers. I have even worked as a tire expert in car fatality cases. IMO simply owning a lot of tires or having driver a few hundred thousand miles doesn't make you an expert any more than having a mouth full of teeth doesn't make you qualified to be a dentist.

You can do a search on this forum for some of the hundred posts where I have clarified and answered the questions raised in this thread.

It would help if more people learned how to use the search function for Internet forums as the answers are usually already posted. You really only need to review the qualifications of those offering their opinion.

Have you read the thread in this forum on "Why tires Fail"?

Sorry for a bit of a rant but I cannot afford to continue to spend a couple hours every day answering the same questions over and over when the answers can be so easily found.

Then don't.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:40 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1219 View Post
Is it worth taking your RV to Loves or Pilot Truck stop where they have a truck scale and weighing your RV?

I don't know what they charge for this but is it worth all of the trouble and cost to determine if your air pressure should be 92 or 95?

By the way, does everyone use the PSI on the sticker inside your coach? I was told one tire pressure from the dealership, another from a tire expert and then the sticker inside the RV. All three are different.

Which one would you use or would you have it weighed and go by the chart?

I did the Loves weighing making 3 passes to get total weight, 1) front and rear then 2) left and 3) right.

Didn't think i was 350 lb heavy on the front right as the weighing said. I had to use the second and 3rd pads for the left and right weights. The counter person commented that *sometimes* using only the 2nd and 3rd pads are not as accurate which my 4 corner weighing confirmed.

I did the 4 corner weighing and all axel weights were very close to where they should be confirming the loves 2nd and 3rd pass to the left and right on the 2nd and 3rd pads was not.

My place card in the MH says 90 psi all around and my 4 corner weigh has 90psi front and 95 rear. No noticable change in comfort of ride.

So i now know my MH and contents are about right and just use the loves 1 pass for front and rear weights.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:28 AM   #23

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
I did the Loves weighing making 3 passes to get total weight, 1) front and rear then 2) left and 3) right.

Didn't think i was 350 lb heavy on the front right as the weighing said. I had to use the second and 3rd pads for the left and right weights. The counter person commented that *sometimes* using only the 2nd and 3rd pads are not as accurate which my 4 corner weighing confirmed.

I did the 4 corner weighing and all axel weights were very close to where they should be confirming the loves 2nd and 3rd pass to the left and right on the 2nd and 3rd pads was not.

My place card in the MH says 90 psi all around and my 4 corner weigh has 90psi front and 95 rear. No noticable change in comfort of ride.

So i now know my MH and contents are about right and just use the loves 1 pass for front and rear weights.

Placard infl usually based on having enough air to support a perfectly balanced axle. Are you sure you are not over the rear GAWR?

Tags
tire pressure