RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2014, 08:24 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Help with 2014 ACE 30.1 water system, please

Trying to fill the water tank for our first trip 9 months after the delivery walkaround and all operational details are hazy.

The manual show 2 outside water stations( city-water and supply holding tank) and mentions a switching system to select the appropriate one. We see only a city-water port and find no system switch inside or outside. So, where is the internal tank fill port and how do you select the supply source that you want to use?

Also, any ideas why all faucets except the kitchen one work fine with city water pressure. Only the sprayer works at the kitchen sink.

Thank you

jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2014, 09:31 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
According to the manual:
http://thormotorcoach.com/media/docu...ual-4-2013.pdf

Pg. 85, you have two water connections. One is the hose fitting for city water pressurized by the city water system, the other gravity fill is behind a locked door. Opening that door you should find a screw cap that allows you to fill your on board water tank. No mention of a valve to switch from one to the other.

I've scoped out a couple of dealer video tours of your model and darned if I see any gravity fill door on the outside. Best guess is that almost all RVs have water fill on driver's side to match most campgrounds. Look carefully in and around water bay that has your outside shower and black/grey tank access.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
figured it out

OK, finally found gravity fill on the pax side and much higher up than the city water fill. Just didn't look that high.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:16 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Glad you found it. You might unscrew the aerator on the kitchen sink, sounds like it's clogged with crud. (technical term)

Bob & Donna
Old 05-27-2014, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jets View Post
Trying to fill the water tank
The manual show 2 outside water stations( city-water and supply holding tank) and mentions a switching system to select the appropriate one. We see only a city-water port and find no system switch inside or outside. So, where is the internal tank fill port and how do you select the supply source that you want to use?
jets
Some RVs have only one water inlet for both filling the tank and using water from a hose.

My coach, (not a Thor, and not a '14), has no gravity filler, (only a hose inlet).
There's a "two position valve" near the hose connector.
1.) The valve MUST be turned to the "fill" position, (which I labeled "FILL"), when filling the water tank.
2.) The valve MUST be turned to the "city" position, (which I labeled "CITY/PUMP"), to use water from a campground hose/faucet...AND when using the tank water via the 12V water pump.

If the valve is set to "fill" when not connected to a hose/faucet, and I attempt to use tank water, the pump will not/can not build pressure in the RV water system......(if/when the pump is turned ON it runs continuously, but nothing gets water).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:07 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Thor 30.1 water fill

Thanks for the well-meaning advice but this Thor ( I now know ) has the gravity fill port kind of high up on the curb side and the city water port on the driver side. I was surprised and pleased to find that there is no switching required to change the interior source of water from city to tank or vice versa. Very simple check valve design.

The kitchen faucet didn't work because there was a pressure leak in the sprayer hose. Replaced the sprayer ( and a cracked sink p-trap ) and all is now well. Made the first trip a short one and found no other problems.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks for reporting back with the solution. Happy travels!

Bob & Donna
Old 06-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jets View Post
OK, finally found gravity fill on the pax side and much higher up than the city water fill. Just didn't look that high.
We have a Thor ACE 30.2 and the fresh water tank fill is on the passenger side(no door just a hookup like the city connection). To access the fresh water tank you have to turn on the water pump on the control panel inside the coach. The city pressurized side has back flow so you do not pump water out.
snoodledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #9

Where should I look for a replacement fresh water pump?

My 2013 ACE 29.2 has a water pump that knocks and pounds like crazy while working. It does move water, but the pressure is lackluster. How can I replace it with something better? Are these things somewhat generic? Or do I need something that matches power, and mounting hole pattern of original? (please don't tell me I have to get OEM from Thor!)

--DonK
DonKarstedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:07 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonKarstedt View Post
Where should I look for a replacement fresh water pump?

My 2013 ACE 29.2 has a water pump that knocks and pounds like crazy while working. It does move water, but the pressure is lackluster. How can I replace it with something better? Are these things somewhat generic? Or do I need something that matches power, and mounting hole pattern of original? (please don't tell me I have to get OEM from Thor!)

--DonK
Look for model number on the pump and then google it. There are many pumps available that will do the deed. Mine is a Shurflo Water Pumps & Filtration Systems, Fluid Handling Equipment for RV, Marine & Industries – SHURflo Fluid Delivery Solutions

But other brands are available too. When you find a pump that fits, Google it and click on 'shopping' and see what turns up.

Bob & Donna

Tags
water