Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #1

We just came back from our first trip in our 34N. We stayed in NH at a campground open year round. We're trying to rush the season, couldn't stand looking at a brand new MH without using it. Anyway, we had to fill the fresh water tank and use the pump. All worked well except the shower. It would surge hot, then luke-warm, back to hot, over and over again. We didn't have this problem with any of the other faucets. As far as I know, the outside shower was off and all the by-pass valves for the water tank were in the correct position. No one was using water elsewhere in the MH and the pump always shut off when water was turned off. The water pump did seem to get louder as the weekend went on, almost as if there were an air pocket. We tried the bleeder on the hot water tank and only got water, no air. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2004 Suzuki SV650S
Lisa G is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #2

We just came back from our first trip in our 34N. We stayed in NH at a campground open year round. We're trying to rush the season, couldn't stand looking at a brand new MH without using it. Anyway, we had to fill the fresh water tank and use the pump. All worked well except the shower. It would surge hot, then luke-warm, back to hot, over and over again. We didn't have this problem with any of the other faucets. As far as I know, the outside shower was off and all the by-pass valves for the water tank were in the correct position. No one was using water elsewhere in the MH and the pump always shut off when water was turned off. The water pump did seem to get louder as the weekend went on, almost as if there were an air pocket. We tried the bleeder on the hot water tank and only got water, no air. Any suggestions would be appreciated.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2004 Suzuki SV650S
Old 04-08-2007, 04:38 PM   #3

Not sure of what coach you have --- It would help if you add it to your byline at the bottom.

I had a similar problem on my new coach. Only when using the on-board pump. I went to the FMCA rally in Perry, Ga. and talked to the Shur-Flo folks at the Camping World display. Note: We have the Moen shower anti-scald faucet.

I believe this phenomenon is due to not having enough pressure to the shower faucet. The Shur-flow guy showed me how to increase the pressure from the pump, by turning the phillips screw at the end of the pump. I would suggest increasing the pressure of the pump by turning this screw clockwise to see if this eliminates the pulsing from cold-to-warm as the pump cycles.

Others have noted that if you turn on the sink faucet to regulate the pressure, this pulsing goes away. Not good for water usage and tank conservation, but it leads to the root cause of the problem.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:07 PM   #4

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Welcome LisaG new member to iRV2 .
And folks she owns I believe a Hurricane 34N. On Ford F-53 chassis V-10
Happy Easter to all.
Also if you do have a Hurricane you have found the perfect site for inside help.
Drop me line if I can help , if I don't reply I must be on the road enjoying life then try Frankie. He is a great person , which my Wife and I have had the pleasure to meet . He is from MA also like you.
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:35 AM   #5

Welcome lisag. I do have the same MH as you and did have the exact same problem.First as you noted make sure your outside shower is in the off position at the mixing valve.Next make sure your winterizing bypass valves are all in the right wide open positions.Now , what ultimately cured my surge problems was covering as much of the water lines with rubber insulate as I could reach and I added a small pressure bump out on the outlet side of pump, just a smaller version of this

This accumilator tank will solve pressure and constant pump cycling problems.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:44 AM   #6

Did any of you have this issue when hooked up to city water? I don't think we'll be doing a lot of cold weather or dry camping, there will be very minimal use of the fresh water tank. I'm hoping we'll be ok for regular campgrounds. If we use the pump again it will probably just be during our travel on the occasional long trip. I don't think I'll be showering while hubby is driving down the road. We just went this weekend to see if all systems are working. Looking forward to going again in 2 weeks when most of the water will be turned on and for our 1 week vacation at Americade. Thanks for the input though. I will be trying a few things when the weather gets a little warmer. We'll probably make one trip to the dealer for warranty work if enough things add up this season.

2004 Suzuki SV650S
Old 04-09-2007, 12:14 PM   #7

No problem ,Lisa. There are a few of us that own hurricanes here and we all like to talk about our issues and modifications. Were you guys up at Merideth Woods? We go there and Normandy Farms for winter camping.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:47 PM   #8

We were at Field & Stream RV Park in Brookline, NH. They're close to home, 25 minutes or so, and they had wireless internet, a plus for the computer geek in me. Hubby wasn't impressed, it was small (50-something sites) and obviously not much to see with snow on the ground. He's a little social butterfly so I think he was going a little screwy cooped up with just me and the furkids all weekend. I'd go back again, the owner seemed nice, and we met a few of the seasonal campers on dog walks.
OK, silly question now. What color is the awning? Is it solid white like the slideout awnings or does it have some kind of stripe or design to it? It's the only thing we haven't tried yet!

2004 Suzuki SV650S
Old 04-09-2007, 05:22 PM   #9

Lisa yes they do have a design. Like a few stripes across. I think 2 or 3 different shades of color. But it has to be mostly open all the way out to see it.
The only time I saw it was when I when for the PDI and they show me how to open it. Since that time I haven't bother on opening it. I was planning on having a different design installed soon. To match the new 2007 24 foot Toy Hauler .
We here love the Hurricane this is a great site. Don't worry too much about the pulse on the water . Once you get all hook up and with the right pressure everything we work out OK and run water to all the lines to get it going right. I never use the pump always are hook up to park water. Make sure you get a high quality water filter. For drinking we bring bottle water .

Come south to warmer weather Ga or Fl and the park water pressure will be higher and fresher .
Old 04-10-2007, 12:36 AM   #10

Lisa, the awning does have stripes going horizontal on top.Solid colors depend on your paint scheme. Hurricane offers 2 paint schemes as an option and standard white and stripe.
Dont sell your water pump short yet.We thought we would not use that much either,but we do.Traveling for bathroom use,winter camping,etc. Dont laugh about taking shower while driving,I do not not condone it(dangerous) I know a couple that showers while in motion.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:50 AM   #11

Thanks everyone,
I saw the expansion tank on camping world for a reasonable price. We'll mostly be at full hookup campgrounds but I may install it anyway for future convenience. We are tentatively planning a trip to Palm Bay, Fl next winter with my sister in law, her hubby and the twins if all works out. It would be good to have then in case we have to do some stops at rest areas or state parks. We had our travel trailer for 7 years and tented before that. We never even tried the fresh water tank in the trailer.
I'm loving the class A. We have 3 little dogs and it's nice to spread them out throughout the house instead of all on our laps in a standard cab pick-up. Not to mention, I can pee while hubby drives! Love that feature.
By the way, if you know anyone with the '07 Hurricanes have them check the mattress. Ours was installed upside down. The '07 has the memory foam topper. Hubby argued with me that it was fine. He likes a firm mattress. I made him flip it anyway, then it was obvious. It's not so bad now.(tag side down) I always hated the mattress in the trailer, had egg crates and mattress pads on it.
Thanks again. We'll be camping again in less than 2 weeks, I'll be sure to come back for more advice if anything else goes wrong. We were winging it with the trailer. Nice to know there are good forums out here to compare notes.
Funny, the other day I had a customer (we own an auto repair shop)come in with a list from the motorhome dealer. They're bringing their class C to us to do the work instead, didn't like the dealer price. I looked over their list and realized I already knew how to do most of the things they needed. Might be getting my hands dirty in a few weeks on theirs.

2004 Suzuki SV650S
Old 05-06-2007, 10:52 AM   #12

I think our water glitch is solved. When I first de-winterized, the manual said to turn all three valves under the sink. First of all the third valve evaded me forever. It was buried under a tangle of hoses at the floor with the valve not even visible. After stuffing my head into the tiny space and attempting to figure out the routing of the water heater bypass system, it seems one valve that was open should have been closed. It was allowing cold water to back feed to the hot water piping, only after the kitchen sink. Now all seems to be ok. Hooking up to a city water line makes a big difference in pressure also. I did also purchase an expansion tank. Haven't hooked it up yet but plan to before our next dry camp. Thanks for your help. By the way, the awning was finally pulled out. Pleasantly surprised, nice color scheme on ours.

2004 Suzuki SV650S
Old 05-06-2007, 06:35 PM   #13

Glad you found the problem, it has happen to others also about them 3 valves.
Finally got to use our awning at Rally Park in Tampa, Fl. You are right not bad looking , expecially with oriental lanterns hanging from them

2006 THOR HURRICANE (lots of mods inside & out )