Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2017, 01:05 PM   #1

House Batteries are fried

I have owned my Outlaw 29H for almost three years and have put less than 2000 miles on it. The few trips we have made have been wonderful, except when the jacks broke and it took the whole summer to (almost) fix them.

Because I am a new RV owner, I thought that keeping the RV stored in a garage, plugged into shore power was a good idea. The result is that the house batteries will no longer hold a charge. I have two questions that I would like to ask the more experienced RVers on the forum:
1. The house batteries are by Harris and say they are 160 aH. I have read that this is incorrect and that they are about 100aH. What is a reasonably priced battery to replace them with?
2. If I put the new batteries on a trickle charger, do I put the switch inside the side door to "store" or "use"?

Thanks for the great information on this forum.
SirGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2017, 01:10 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
So long as you are servicing the batteries with distilled water only on a monthly basis, and provided your charger is set appropriately, not overcharging the batteries, I believe your approach should give you the most life out of the batteries. There are more informed folks than myself on this, but what you have done is exactly what I am doing.

Did your batteries end up dry? Were they just at the end of their life?

Mike
Old 11-03-2017, 01:14 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am not sure what converter/charger your RV has, but a lot of converter/chargers are not three stage chargers and will boil your batteries if left plugged in to shore power. My suggestion would be to replace your current converter/charger with a good three stage converter/charger such as the Progressive Dynamics 9200 series.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I leave everything normal when stored and plugged in next to my house. However I do use a engine battery disconnect knife switch.

I check the two six volt house batteries at least once a month and will almost always have to add a bit of water.

I buy my six volt batteries at Costco and 12 volt at Walmart.

It's very important that you check your water levels.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:02 PM   #5

You didn't mention age?
As others noted important to keep water filled and battys charged.
For house your best buy are 2 6V GC2 golf cart battys in series to give you 12V and about 220 AH for $85 ea at Sams Club or Costco or try a golf cart place near you.

Also worth reading why in the linked post
http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365954
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries