RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #1

How to turn a Jensen JRV212T into a wheel chock

I trust Thor owners are aware that when the warranty expires on the Jensen JRV212T and it craps out, you now own a $700 wheel chock.

Mine died in 15 months.

ASA Electronics does not repair this very expensive piece of junk. Why would any coach builder put this in their units? I'm very disappointed with my Thor A.C.E. 30.1 for this and other reasons. It is the prime example of a cheaply built unit.

The 30.1 has a great floor plan, but it is so disappointing on any number of other features, especially documentation and support from the factory.

Would never buy another one and would not recommend it.

deanbilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2014, 06:49 PM   #2

We LOVE our ACE! We've had it over 2 years and everything still works great!
I don't feel it's "cheaply" built, but you can't expect a $250,000 motorhome for $79,000

Old 11-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanbilling View Post
I trust Thor owners are aware that when the warranty expires on the Jensen JRV212T and it craps out, you now own a $700 wheel chock.

Mine died in 15 months.

ASA Electronics does not repair this very expensive piece of junk. Why would any coach builder put this in their units? I'm very disappointed with my Thor A.C.E. 30.1 for this and other reasons. It is the prime example of a cheaply built unit.

The 30.1 has a great floor plan, but it is so disappointing on any number of other features, especially documentation and support from the factory.

Would never buy another one and would not recommend it.

I was actually thinking about doing a write up on the 29.2 that I have, building my own manual. It actually wouldn't be that hard to do, and it would be 100% better that that crap manual Thor puts out. You could detail every system in great detail, and outline the basics, and have something that is useful that others could benefit from also. I think I know my rig very well, and I think the most benefit would be for people new to RVing, or owners that aren't too mechanical. That being said, I keep thinking about it, but haven't started it.
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to ksrow
That is a great idea! I might try to do the same with my Sprinter Siesta 24sr......
ksrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3OHIO View Post
We LOVE our ACE! We've had it over 2 years and everything still works great!
I don't feel it's "cheaply" built, but you can't expect a $250,000 motorhome for $79,000
I don't believe I mentioned expecting the quality of a quarter million dollar motorhome, since the Thor A.C.E. certainly isn't a diesel pusher.

However, what I would expect from any motorhome is components that don't crap out in 15 months and documentation that is accurate.

Not only did the Jensen unit die, the water pump died in the same amount of time and it is definitely the cheapest Chinese unit available. And it is installed in such a way that a better Shur-Flo unit cannot be installed easily without major modifications.

The microwave is absolutely the cheapest unit available and the plate inside jumps off the track while driving and is a pain to re-seat so it turns.

Strangely enough, there is no overhead lighting whatsoever in the cockpit. You can't even read a map at night without a flashlight, nor operate the leveler controls from the side console in the dark.

The documentation is a complete joke and totally inadequate. It covers a myriad of different models and there are a number of features in the A.C.E. that are not covered. There was no mention that the D.C. fuse panel is in the base of the bed along with the noisy inverter. Looked all over the coach for the damn thing and the user's manual didn't mention it. The fresh water drain system for the A.C.E. 30.1 is different than all the other models.

Kept wondering why the black water tank filled so quickly. The documentation implies that all sinks drain into the gray water tank as you would expect. NOT so in the A.C.E. 30.1. Thor took the easy way out and drained it straight down to the black water tank. And of course the tank status indicators are a total joke. The gray water tank is always a third full when empty.

In this day and age, with electronic publishing, all manuals and schematics should be available on line for eReaders and download. You cannot get a wiring diagram for your coach, I tried. Did not have this problem with Southwind.

I do not have diesel pusher expectations but I do believe that when I pay $86,000 for a new motorhome that I can get logical interior lighting in the cockpit, a coach water pump that lasts more than 15 months, an extremely expensive electronic display / radio / audio system that is repairable and accurate documentation.

I won't even go into the joke that the dining table is. Have you ever read the labels on the legs?
Old 11-25-2014, 03:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorchini View Post
I was actually thinking about doing a write up on the 29.2 that I have, building my own manual. It actually wouldn't be that hard to do, and it would be 100% better that that crap manual Thor puts out. ....
Why would you even consider doing this, instead of demanding that Thor put out usable, accurate documentation?

In this day and age of electronic publishing, all manuals and schematics should be available on line for eReaders and download. You cannot get a wiring diagram for your coach, I tried. Did not have this problem with Southwind. This is not rocket science and would probably be cheaper than printing a manual that needs revisions each time they add another major model.

This is what computers do best and creating ePublications is easy. I build a USB port battery charger for all of the electronic phones and tablets you can no longer live without, and I wrote a book about USB battery charging and published it on Amazon, et. al. in about a month from starting without knowing anything about ePublishing. This isn't rocket science. Just about every product I buy now has .PDF documentation downloads now. That's why so many companies no longer supply users manuals with their products. Have you ever gotten a user manual with your latest smart-phone, tablet or PC lately? No, you get a "Quick Start Guide" and a web address for the documentation.

And yes, I have complained to Thor management about this, but their answer was that it is of no priority to have good manuals and documentation. Maybe someday.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:30 AM   #7

Dean, I am not going to dissect your posts sentence by sentence. But a lot of what you mention is quite common amongst RV's.
I owned a class C motorhome owned by Monaco prior to my ACE that in 2002 cost $85K.
It had a lot of the same issues that you are mentioning except for a poor manual. It had a high quality, nice looking container with all sorts of manuals.
Nowadays with the enormity of information on the internet I find this unnecessary. Anything I need to know about my ACE I can find quicker through Google than by opening and indexing an owners manual.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:29 AM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
My manual is this ipad fired up to IRV2. From Lippert jacks to thermostats. (I think that rhymes)

My 2011 Toyota Tundra stock radio just went out the other day. Yep out of warranty. So did my last new truck come to think of it.

Anyway, let's learn from this. What are you going to replace it with? How much do you have to spend to get a good unit? I think they are double DIN so there are lots of options. Bluetooth would be a must!
Old 11-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #9

I too am curious to what double DIN head units are out there that are compatible with the three cameras.
Personally, the Jensen's touch screen drives me crazy! I would rather have old fashioned push buttons below the screen.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:29 PM   #10

Jensen has a newer unit out to replace the 212, and I read there was one other 3 camera unit, but don't recall the name.

Other double din units have only 1 camera input, but a video selector switch can be installed to enable 3 camera function.... follow this thread for more info, thanks for the details...

Jensen JRV212T Rear Aux input
streamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:45 AM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
My thought is this. I hate where the video screen is for driving. In the daytime, ( most of my driving) I can't see the blinker cameras without leaning over to the middle. I pretty much don't use it unless at a traffic light. Why don't we split this up and put a screen on the left dash more head high for the cameras and make the radio an easy to control radio like Eric says!

In my tractors and combine, I drive with several screens and computers head high to control and monitor implements. It works great!

We need a techie who knows how this Jensen works if it can be spilt up. One problem I see is I think the rear camera has sound?