RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2018, 10:20 PM   #1

Huge mistake buying a Synergy

Trying not to rant, but the build quality was so bad on this unit that I immediately traded it in on a 5er. Atrocious quality overall: We did a 2+ week trip and the following failed:

Furnace (I replaced regulator and cleared construction debris from the burner element)
Instant H2O heater is a joke. Minimum 1 minute faucet turn on in kitchen for lukewarm water.
Faulty GFI in kitchen circuit
Lower cargo bay doors incorrectly mounted, bind on opening.
Kitchen table collapsed off mounting brackets (3/8" long screws in particle board)
Major panel gap at side door...daylight to road below.
Kitchen sink wouldn't drain...drain pipe mounted uphill...really?

I won't bore you with other details but the list was 23 items. Sadly, I traded a 2002 Dutch Star 38' MH for this junk. The Dutch Star gave us 16 years of trouble-free service.

The Synergy is simply crap, painted nice and shiny (if you ignore the overspray in places). Shame on me for not going over it with a fine-toothed comb on delivery, but some of this stuff wouldn't have shown up. I know some folks have had good luck with Thor, but not this guy. I would avoid Thor...period.

deputykevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2018, 10:23 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Time to buy a ORV unit...Just kidding as they only make RV trailers. My buddy did the same thing with a 2 week old Gray Wolf RV trailer. One trip, and traded it in on another RV trailer.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:47 AM   #3

You get what you pay for. THOR has some of the worst build quality in the market. You're also not any better off with a 5th wheel as there are zero quality control checks at the trailer factories. The workers are all paid by the piece and send them down the line as quick as they can with no one checking the quality. The Vilano line might be the only exception as they're built by members of the Tiffin family.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:02 PM   #4

This Rockwood has been trouble free.....
Old 06-25-2018, 01:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputykevin View Post
Trying not to rant, but the build quality was so bad on this unit that I immediately traded it in on a 5er. Atrocious quality overall: We did a 2+ week trip and the following failed:

Furnace (I replaced regulator and cleared construction debris from the burner element)
Instant H2O heater is a joke. Minimum 1 minute faucet turn on in kitchen for lukewarm water.
Faulty GFI in kitchen circuit
Lower cargo bay doors incorrectly mounted, bind on opening.
Kitchen table collapsed off mounting brackets (3/8" long screws in particle board)
Major panel gap at side door...daylight to road below.
Kitchen sink wouldn't drain...drain pipe mounted uphill...really?

I won't bore you with other details but the list was 23 items. Sadly, I traded a 2002 Dutch Star 38' MH for this junk. The Dutch Star gave us 16 years of trouble-free service.

The Synergy is simply crap, painted nice and shiny (if you ignore the overspray in places). Shame on me for not going over it with a fine-toothed comb on delivery, but some of this stuff wouldn't have shown up. I know some folks have had good luck with Thor, but not this guy. I would avoid Thor...period.
What did you buy?
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:31 PM   #6

Vilano. Looked to be good build quality and reputation. The service manager at the dealership said they had the least number of problems out of the gate...we shall see....

deputykevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying