RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #1

Hi Guys,

I'm glad I found this forum.

I have a Hurricane 31H '07 that I'm having problems with.

1. The infamous "whistle noise".
The dealer closed so holes on the firewall with expansive foam but it did no fix the problem.

2. Dashboard shakes/wobbles.
The dealer claims they found a broken dash bracket which they replaced, but the dashboard continues to move while on rough terrain or when I pass over train tracks, most noticeable on the driver's side. The passenger side is rock solid. The dashboard when it shakes, the center console (where the backup monitor is) starts to wobble about 1/2 inch in and out. Does your dashboard do this?
I mean, it looks like is about to fall apart.

Thanks again for any advice about this.

Vertrix

Vertrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #2

Hi Guys,

I'm glad I found this forum.

I have a Hurricane 31H '07 that I'm having problems with.

1. The infamous "whistle noise".
The dealer closed so holes on the firewall with expansive foam but it did no fix the problem.

2. Dashboard shakes/wobbles.
The dealer claims they found a broken dash bracket which they replaced, but the dashboard continues to move while on rough terrain or when I pass over train tracks, most noticeable on the driver's side. The passenger side is rock solid. The dashboard when it shakes, the center console (where the backup monitor is) starts to wobble about 1/2 inch in and out. Does your dashboard do this?
I mean, it looks like is about to fall apart.

Thanks again for any advice about this.

Vertrix

Old 07-02-2007, 12:18 PM   #3

Some are getting new grills from Four Winds.I get the whistle when it rains.I am going to factory in 2 weeks,will let you know what they say.
My dash bounces too.A couple more braces should fix the problem.I guess I have learned to live with these quirks,plus I like to tinker.Welcome to the site and post often.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:23 PM   #4

Also, I forgot to ask.

Does your motorhome turns on it's headlights when you disengage the parking brake and you move the transmission into Drive?

Mine does, but I have not seen other '07 Hurricanes on the road to confirm that this is a "feature".

Vertrix.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:27 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:
Some are getting new grills from Four Winds.I get the whistle when it rains.I am going to factory in 2 weeks,will let you know what they say.
My dash bounces too.A couple more braces should fix the problem.I guess I have learned to live with these quirks,plus I like to tinker.Welcome to the site and post often. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Frankie for your reply.

Yes, please keep us informed about the whistle problem/solution.

Vertrix.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:21 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your coach maybe wired for day time running lights a good safe thing to have. The dash may tighten up if you place some industrial velcro on side walls of dash board or add a strap to eyelets at bottom of dash to fire wall frame.
Had a Bounder that had a bounding dash board, what else.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:17 AM   #7

My headlights dont go on when i put it into gear.Maybe an 2007 thing.A good dealer would have done a better job at fixing dash rattle,not really much to it.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:34 PM   #8

This may be a bit late for you but I have an 05 34N with the same problems. The whistle is caused by the grill and is known problem amoung the Hurricane owners. Ive heard there was better replacement grill from fourwinds but when ive talked to the dealer and they no nothing of it. What you can do and it's what I did was go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a sheet of mesh. Can't remember what it's called but it's used on the wall to hold the stucko in place till it dries. I believe it comes in a four by eight sheet and it cost me all of $4.50. Believe it or not but it's the same stuff that car customizers use to make grills and grill inserts with. Go to the auto parts and they want $30.00 for the exact same thing but it comes to small to fit the moterhome. I took the old grill out and cut to size the new stuff. I did use rubber backed washers with the original screws to reinstall. I think it looks better than the factory grill and the whistle is gone. My dash shakes also but I think it was a factory oversite. My CD player skipps alot on rough roads. Im planning to take the dash out and fabricate a bracket to stiffen it up. It shakes the worst around the rear camera monitor, radio/CD player and temp control area. I do enjoy my Hurricane. Just came back from a one month 5600 mile trip from my home near Charlotte, NC to Kansas to visit family then to the Grand Canyon, Yellow Stone, Devils Tower Wyoming, Mount Rushmore, Oshkosh, WI for the big airshow and home with no mechanical problems. It performed flawlessly. Also towed a car with no problems. Hope you get your fixed OK.
SMIDDLETON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:12 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
SMIDDLETON Welcome to irv2 and the Thor forum.
Thanks for jumping in with your advise and welcome back from your great trip. The Ford drive train will serve you well and plenty of Ford dealers around if you need one.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:49 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SMIDDLETON:
This may be a bit late for you but I have an 05 34N with the same problems. The whistle is caused by the grill and is known problem amoung the Hurricane owners. Ive heard there was better replacement grill from fourwinds but when ive talked to the dealer and they no nothing of it. What you can do and it's what I did was go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a sheet of mesh. Can't remember what it's called but it's used on the wall to hold the stucko in place till it dries. I believe it comes in a four by eight sheet and it cost me all of $4.50. Believe it or not but it's the same stuff that car customizers use to make grills and grill inserts with. Go to the auto parts and they want $30.00 for the exact same thing but it comes to small to fit the moterhome. I took the old grill out and cut to size the new stuff. I did use rubber backed washers with the original screws to reinstall. I think it looks better than the factory grill and the whistle is gone. My dash shakes also but I think it was a factory oversite. My CD player skipps alot on rough roads. Im planning to take the dash out and fabricate a bracket to stiffen it up. It shakes the worst around the rear camera monitor, radio/CD player and temp control area. I do enjoy my Hurricane. Just came back from a one month 5600 mile trip from my home near Charlotte, NC to Kansas to visit family then to the Grand Canyon, Yellow Stone, Devils Tower Wyoming, Mount Rushmore, Oshkosh, WI for the big airshow and home with no mechanical problems. It performed flawlessly. Also towed a car with no problems. Hope you get your fixed OK. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you SMIDDLETON for your reply.

That's exactly how my dashboard shakes! Worse at the rearview camera/cd player.

I'll try your grill replacement, thanks for the info.

Well, it looks like my Hurricane will be going back to the factory so they can replace a wall that developed two bubbles. The Hurricane rep. told me that it will take about a month or so. They're sending a driver over in early Sept. to pick up my MH ( I still want to use it a couple of more times before my kids go back to school).

I'll ask Four Winds to fix the dashboard problem at the factory as well.

Vertrix.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:43 AM   #11

I have done the same thing as Smiddleton. I painted the mesh black and mounted it in front of the factory grill so it would have some rigidity. All you have to do is disrupt the airflow through the original eggcrate grill to stop the whistle and this setup works very well. I have a picture posted here.

2004 Hurricane 32R w/Demco bar and Cavalier toad
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:58 PM   #12

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Welcome JIM D to irv2.com
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:00 AM   #13

Thanks Jim!

That's a great picture.

I'm going to try this out this weekend.

Vertrix.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:56 PM   #14

Hi Jim,

I tried the whistle fix and it worked!!!

Nice!

Vertrix.