RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #1

Hurricane 34e main slide stuck

Just what I wanted on my 2014 a slide that doesn't open properly. Only the front of the slide moves and not the back. Of course this happens in Colorado away from the dealer MHSRV in Texas. I called Thor they suggested 3 dealers in the Aurora area. I have an appointment 19Aug. Hopefully it's something minor as I would hate to stay in hotel. Anyone else have slide issues? I haven't even had the coach 2 months...first the sound on the TV goes and now the slide.

tjacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2013, 06:44 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 2014 34f is in the shop for the second time with slide issues. The first time the slide wouldn't retract. This time it won't go out. Both times it appears to be binding at the front. Very disappointed with the quality of this unit. We are also having the levellers looked at for the third time - all different issues.

2014 Allegro 36LA
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #3

TJacks, We also have a 34E and live in Texas. To further the comparison, we are packing to head to Dillon, CO in a couple of days. Would like to know what happened on your slide. Was there any early warning signs? Noise, Grind, etc. Additionally, did you use the slide-lock on the trip out to Colorado? Second question, Do you put levelers down before or after putting out the slides? Please keep us informed and maybe we will run into in Colorado. jpspinks@att.net
jpspinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #4

No warning before the slide stopped working. The jacks were extended prior to extending the slide. The coach was in the shop for repairs of the seal which a portion was missing from the factory. The slide worked perfectly after the installation of the new seal so I don't think that has anything to do with it. Frankly I'm not surprised this has happened. Upon taking delivery of my coach I've found screws and other stuff under the slide. If the debris wasn't a contributing factor this time I'm sure it would be at some point if there's stuff binding in there that can't be seen.
The owners with the 34f... Hang in there. I had problems with "auto leveling" as well. As for your slide, were they able to fix it in one day or did you have to wait for parts?
And to think I initially planed to get a travel trailer with no slides to avoid the problems I'm having now with the slide.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The first time they were able to fix it in a day - the dealer sent two techs to our house to get the slide in. This time the slide won't extend and has been in the shop since Wednesday. I don't believe that they have even looked at it yet. If we have many more problems with it we are thinking seriously of trading it in on something more reliable.

2014 Allegro 36LA
Old 08-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
tjacks, any update on your slide issue?

Our 34f is still in the shop. Apparently they have fixed the slide, but still want to add additional rollers. The service manager at the dealership has a rare combination of talents - arrogant, condescending and totally useless. I finally called him on friday to get a status, and that's all he was able to tell me. Not a word on the other 14 items on the warranty list, nor any idea as to when our RV will be ready.

I hope you are making out better than we are.

2014 Allegro 36LA
Old 08-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
tjacks, any update on your slide issue?

Our 34f is still in the shop. Apparently they have fixed the slide, but still want to add additional rollers. The service manager at the dealership has a rare combination of talents - arrogant, condescending and totally useless. I finally called him on friday to get a status, and that's all he was able to tell me. Not a word on the other 14 items on the warranty list, nor any idea as to when our RV will be ready.

I hope you are making out better than we are.
Too funny about the talent. They want to add additional rollers to yours? On my unit I disconnected the controller and manually pushed the slide out until it was even with the other side of the slide. I'm at the dealer now hoping everything can be fixed in one day. And they are swamped.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #8

TJacks, Glad you are getting it fixed. We are heading south back towards Texas today from Dillon, CO. Our 34E has been trouble free on its initial long distance run. Have a safe trip when you hit the road again.

By the way, for reference, where did you disconnect the controller?
jpspinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #9

If it is like my HR. There is the motor centrally located with drive shafts (square tubing) extending out to each end where the slide mechanisms are. Well there are shear bolts on both ends and at the center by the motor. The rear of my slide quit working and I was able to fix it by myself. No waranty on my 99'.
This is my first post here, have been lurking and learning for a couple months since buying my Vacationer. This is the first chance I had anything to ad.
This is my new favorite forum.

Posted from my rotary phone.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspinks View Post
TJacks, Glad you are getting it fixed. We are heading south back towards Texas today from Dillon, CO. Our 34E has been trouble free on its initial long distance run. Have a safe trip when you hit the road again.

The controller on mine was located on the top of a storage bay on the drivers side. I think it was the second or third from the front.

2014 Allegro 36LA
Old 08-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspinks View Post

As mentioned the controller is on the left side 3rd compartment back. It's a small black box on the topside of the compartment. The slide was easier to push then I thought it would be. I'm sure you enjoyed your trip!!!
Safe travels on future trips.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #12

Just wanted to post a letter from Thor regarding the slide issue.

Good Afternoon,

I recently came across an e-mail that I could not locate a response to. If this is the case, please accept our sincere apologies. If you have not received a response, it is as follows:
If the slide out system is a Schwintek system (top and bottom of the slideout exterior sidewalls has worm gear/rail), I have attached a document that will assist in keeping the system timed and in-sync.

Attached is a TIP sheet I put together recently to assist owners/dealers to get the Schwintek system in time and keeping it synchronized.

Before cycling the slide, spray a generous amount of Pledge Furniture Polish or green CRC power lube in the track and on the vertical wipe seal. This will keep it pliable and allow the "shoe"
to run smoothly in the track. You can do this as often as you like, but it really only needs it when you notice the slideout "dragging". Often you will want to inspect the track for the gear for any unusual wear, damage, etc. There will be wear but it should be uniform in the track. This is a very sensitive system but runs great went "all the stars are aligned".

If the slideout is stuck in or out or crooked, you will want to put it in manual override before doing anything. Under the slide, there is a white box that says "LCI". There is a small black recessed button. Push that button 6 times and hold it in the 7th time. The LED's will begin to flash. You only have 45 seconds to get to the slideout switch. Cycle the slide fully in then out. If it begins to move crooked, stop and go the opposite direction. HOLD THE SWITCH DOWN UNTIL IT STOPS BY ITSELF whether you are retracting or extending and it's running uniform. The slide will stay in the manual override as long as the switch is being used. Once you stop engaging the switch, it will return to normal operation through the switch after about 1-2 minutes.
After cycling it 2 or 3 full evenly running strokes, use the attached instructions to "time/synchronize" the system.

If you review the document and still have questions, please contact our warranty customer service toll free at 877-855-2867.

Customer Service/Warranty
Thor Motor Coach
PO Box 1486
Elkhart, IN 46515
Old 09-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #13

TIP Sheet

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3517855869.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	45169
Old 09-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tjacks, what was the cause of your slide problems?

After a month in the shop our 34f is finally finished. They had to add additional rollers and also add metal plates under the others so that the rollers were actually making contact with the slide. Apparently the rails were supporting the majority of the weight of the slide - approximately 95 % according to the technician who worked with Thor to get it fixed.

To me, this really sounds like a design issue.

2014 Allegro 36LA