Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2007, 09:59 AM   #15

Hello Grumpy, I had a 97 model and I found the only easy way to service the batteries was to remove the front grill. Remove a few screws and you can get to them quite easy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grumpy9:
I have a '99 Hurricane 29D. It still has the original chassis battery, which I will probably have to replace soon.
Has anyone found a way to get to the battery? It looks like the grill can be removed easily, but not sure that will get to the battery. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Melvin &  Linda Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2008, 03:06 PM   #16

Well, it is now 18 months since I first posted this problem, and the chassis battery died. Took the rig to 2 battery shops, both national chains, and my Ford dealer. None of them would attempt the change out.Called Four Winds for help and got none.Called my RV dealer and the service manager said,"Gee I have never seen one like that, but bring it in for a few days, and we will see what we can do".
I don't think removing the grill will work.It appears that the battery hold down bolts are encased by the metal bumper.
Asking again, Has anyone had the chassis battery changed out. If so, how?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Grumpy, we have a 99 29D Hurricane also. When we bought it four years ago the dealer changed out the battery for us. Didn't seem to be a problem, but it is now held in by a big ole bungie! Been there for four years now. Hubby didn't know about the bungie until he had to put jumpers on it (left the Garmin on when we came home). Arrowhead Campers in Mayfield KY is who replaced our. Got to admit the bungie was a bit of a surprise--but if it works....Betty
gloriebkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:12 AM   #18

Betty, thanks for the reply. Sorry to not responded sooner, but we have been "out among the trees", for a few days.
Guess I'll make an appt, at my dealer. He is quite a drive away, and I was hoping to get it done locally.
Seems that the real problem is that the hold down bolts are not accessable, to get a wrench on. I understand that they have to be cut off, with a torch. Than they use the bungee too secure the battery. Did your dealer do the job in 1 day or did you have to leave it overnight?
George
Old 10-13-2008, 10:30 AM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Can't say how long it took them to replace it. We bought the coach on Monday, they did the 'get it ready to go home' stuff and we picked it up the next Monday. It was part of their preparation. When we went back for our walk thru he told us the had put in a new battery. You are probably right about the bolts. Don't think at this point it will be a problem to replace...just undo the the bungie (LOL) At that said I still love that little RV.......Betty
Old 10-29-2008, 10:24 AM   #20

Well, there is now a new battery in the Hurricane. When I took it in to the dealer, the service tech said that he had never seen a battery in that location before. Just like Betty said, there was a big ole bungee holding it in. I don't know how long it took them to do it, as they had it for a couple of days.
BTW, the battery they took out was the original, about 9 years old.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Grumpy9, now I guess we wait to see how long the bungie will last! Isn't it amazing what we find behind and under things? Wait until you see the many feet of heat and airconditioner hose and a 20' coil of tv cable we found when we slipped out the front TV preparing to put in a new flat screen....Betty
Old 10-30-2008, 02:03 AM   #22

hi, i was reading your note about all the extra cable and hoses you found. i saw an awful lot of extra hose for the jacks all coiled up because its too long. the factory must use the same lemght stuff for all the units wether they are short or long. seems like a waste.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #23

Betty, tell us about you replacing the front tv. I guess that will be next on my list.
Like you said in yourPM, I don't think digital tv will be a good thing, for us.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:47 AM   #24

Gulf Streamers Club
We took the big ole monster TV out to see what we could do. We are going to hang loose on buying one until Christmas as they keep saying flatscreens are going to be REALLY on sale. We have figured out how we are going to install it. Will start a new topic when we do it. Right now we are planning on putting wood in the opening of the cowling and mounting the bracket on that. Of course, we know it will be more complicated than that (LOL)......Betty