Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2009, 07:12 AM   #1

Hurricane Front TV

Has anyone remove the front TV to install a flat-screen digital TV? If so let me know what and how you did it. Thank you
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
kjk

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife View Post
Has anyone remove the front TV to install a flat-screen digital TV? If so let me know what and how you did it. Thank you
I recieved my 2008 Hurricane 30Q with a defective TV and rather than have the dealer remove and replace the TV, I opted to remove it myself.

Removal is fairly easy if a little time consuming. Key to the process is the fact that the TV is actually hoisted into place by a winch concealed above the right upper cabinet which is operated with a ratchet.

I suppose I should have documented the process, but basically I removed everything I could remove - front wood bezel, bottom trim etc. I removed the retaining cable that wraps around the front of the tv and lowered it with the winch.

I found a 26" Toshiba TV with a 3/8 inch lip all around the front and cut down the original front wood trim to fit the new tv. I made a mount from 3/4 plywood which bolts to the back of the TV. I used the winch mechanism to support the TV while I attached the mount to the original internal structure which housed the old TV using turnbuckles. I tightened the turnbuckles to bring the back of the new TV's bezel into close contact with the original wood front trim. I used some rubber weatherstripping between the 2 surfaces to get a tight fit without damaging either surface.

Some people have used standard mounts from the local Best Buy or wherever, but I think my solution is less prone to vibration problems.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #3

Hello kjk, do you have a photo so we can see the outcome?
Old 12-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Question

Hi kjk:
Quick question on removing the TV. I have a 2005 32R but assume the procedure is about the same. The bottom is covered with a fabric covered plate. Are the fabric covered covers over the (I'm guessing) screws just pressed in place? I'm afraid to pry to hard on them without knowing what kind of trouble I can get into.
Thanks for any help and or pictures (we need pictures).
Bob
Bob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
kjk

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just knew I should have taken pictures. It's -30 degrees C in the Motorhome garage, but I will take a photo of the finished product tomorrow and if I can figure out how to post it I wll do so.

The fabric or leather covered domes are just trim buttons over the screws holding the trim panels in place. Remove all the trim and things will be clearer. Remember that the weight of the tv will be taken by the winch once the other fasteners are
removed and you can just crank it down.

I toyed with the idea of putting the TV on a hinged door to allow use of the space formerly taken by the TV but I gave up on the idea. When you finally see all the engineering that went into the mount for these heavy TVs you will be amazed at the extent of the structure back there.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:56 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Thumbs up

Thanks for the info kjk:
Now another question. I found the end of the ratchet but wonder if there is a way to control the "up" and "down" operation or is it just friction that controls it? If the rain stops soon I will get out and look closer at things.
Bob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
kjk

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here are some pictures. The first shows the finished installation. The second and third show the bottom and back panels which are removed to gain access to the interior. The buttons are just snaps which pop off (don't lose them) to reveal a mating fitting with a screw through it. Remove the screws and you are away.

It's not the most comfortable of working positions considering I am not as limber as I once was.

If you do this, run cables from the inputs/outputs of your TV into the AV cabinet as part of the process - you will curse if you have to do it later.

Good Luck,

Ken

Old 01-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #8

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
KJK, sorry but the pic's did not come tru. Please try again got a freind that just bought a used Hurricane and need to see how it is done.
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:11 AM   #9

Here are a few pictures of the front 32" Visio LCD install. I cut a 2x27x3/4 piece of plywood for a bottom spacer, painted it black, and screwed it to the bottom cabinet (raised the tv up 3/4"). I then cut two 45" pieces of 1/4" flat stock, bent at 4" and 17 1/2" on either side of center, drilled holes for the tv and for the side mounts. Used 5/16" bolts on the side and 8mm bolts for the tv. I also lined the opening with open cell weather stripping to prevent any vibrations. Works like a charm!!

gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:53 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hurricane Thread

Any know of a hurricane thread. I thought I saw one but can't seem to find it. bill
burgiebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:14 PM   #11

Hurricanes are under Thor Owners with FourWinds forum. We don't rate a subforum yet. You can find lots of TV replacement (including mine) there.
Noelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #12
kjk

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob King View Post
Thanks for the info kjk:
Now another question. I found the end of the ratchet but wonder if there is a way to control the "up" and "down" operation or is it just friction that controls it? If the rain stops soon I will get out and look closer at things.

Just friction and gravity
Old 02-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #13
kjk

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The picture of my finished installation is here:

http://kjkretired.dyndns.org/1.jpg

Sorry, but I didn't take any pictures during the installation.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #14

WOW it look great!