Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hurricane Mods

Was wondering what mods Hurricane owners have completed? There's a couple of older posts of this, but they are so old we can't add to them. I have a few pics I thought I'd post.

Many Hurricane owner knows how unusable the center console is:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Original.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	7958

So I had a custom one made - Cup holders on top, storage in back with sliding shelf so it doesn't impact HVAC controls, along with a door in front for inside storage.

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	7959

Name:	Side.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	7960

The top is just attached with velcro, so it's easy to clean-up if a spill happens:

Name:	Top.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	7961

Other mods I've completed (but no pics yet):
Upgraded Jensen radio with Sirius and 10-disc changer
Installed Progressive Surge Protector
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Door Handle Mod

I also installed a longer door handle that goes all the way to the bottom step, makes it easier for small children to get in - and the wife loves it too. It folds along the side of the RV as the steps retract.

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	7962
Old 01-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nice... I like the console idea. Just got our Hurricane last month so I am eye-balling some mods now.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:37 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2010 Hurricane, and I'm glad to see that there is some recent information exchanged about mods for these coaches. I've done nothing to mine so far except add a 12v battery to the house battery compartment. It only came with one, and that proved insufficient for boondock camping, unless I ran the generator a bit more than I wanted to run it. I'd like to add a switch to easily control the DRL lights from the cockpit. I'd like to be able to flash them on and off when a truck or other vehicle passes, as a signal that their vehicle has sufficient clearance to get back in line. It's too inconvenient to lean bar forward to turn the lights on and off by using the dash switch. I'd also like to construct some kind of spare wheel and tire cage under the coach. A few months ago, I hit a road hazard on the side of a rural Georgia road. As a final result, I now have an extra wheel and tire which I keep inflated for emergency use. I'm currently keeping this spare on the floor in the large rear storage area where I keep our fold-up bicycles and other camping gear. It takes up a lot of room, however, and I have to slide it around to get at other things. I'd rather just hang it on the frame. I'd appreciate hearing any ideas that are out there. Thanks. Komac
komac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by komac View Post
I have a 2010 Hurricane, and I'm glad to see that there is some recent information exchanged about mods for these coaches. I've done nothing to mine so far except add a 12v battery to the house battery compartment. It only came with one, and that proved insufficient for boondock camping, unless I ran the generator a bit more than I wanted to run it. I'd like to add a switch to easily control the DRL lights from the cockpit. I'd like to be able to flash them on and off when a truck or other vehicle passes, as a signal that their vehicle has sufficient clearance to get back in line. It's too inconvenient to lean bar forward to turn the lights on and off by using the dash switch. I'd also like to construct some kind of spare wheel and tire cage under the coach. A few months ago, I hit a road hazard on the side of a rural Georgia road. As a final result, I now have an extra wheel and tire which I keep inflated for emergency use. I'm currently keeping this spare on the floor in the large rear storage area where I keep our fold-up bicycles and other camping gear. It takes up a lot of room, however, and I have to slide it around to get at other things. I'd rather just hang it on the frame. I'd appreciate hearing any ideas that are out there. Thanks. Komac
I ended up pulling a fuse to disable my DRL. I didn't like the no-flashing ability either.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by komac View Post
I'd also like to construct some kind of spare wheel and tire cage under the coach. A few months ago, I hit a road hazard on the side of a rural Georgia road. As a final result, I now have an extra wheel and tire which I keep inflated for emergency use. I'm currently keeping this spare on the floor in the large rear storage area where I keep our fold-up bicycles and other camping gear. It takes up a lot of room, however, and I have to slide it around to get at other things. I'd rather just hang it on the frame. I'd appreciate hearing any ideas that are out there. Thanks. Komac
I've read on other posts, particularly those with the Ford F53 chassis, buying a Ford Truck spare tire mount from a junkyard and mounting those underneath. I have room under mine, just not sure exactly how I would do it. Haven't yet seen anyone post detailed pics or instructions how they did this. But sounds like a good way to go.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #7

We have since moved on, but made a lot of mods to our 1999 Hurricane while we had it. Here is a link to my albums for the new floor install, you can see some of our mods in the pictures. You should be able to see my other albums, feel free to view the other mods albums. We really liked our Hurricane, and are still traveling in our newer Gulfstream. Here is the link
Picasa Web Albums - Noel Johnson - MH Floor Inst...
Noelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:34 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
I don't know if the newer ones are different, but on my 2005 I can flash the high beams with the turn signal stock. Pulling it toward me flashes the lights and pushing down switches from low beams to high ( if the low beams are turned on) I know it works because maybe one out of three trucks respond.
Bob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:46 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks, Bob. That feature in not on my 2010 Hurricane. I wish it were. My turn signal control only flashes the head lights when the head light dash switch is on. Komac
Old 02-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am the brand new owner of an absolutely new looking 2001 Hurricane 29D. It took quite a while to find a nice non mid 90's unit that did not have slide-outs (which we don't want). However, the thing has one (for me) problem. There is a rather large space between the drivers seat and the side wall. I have seen other motorhomes that have this space filled with an armrest and a cup holder and a million switches. Do newer Hurricanes have something in that space, or can one find any aftermarket shelf/armrest to put there? How would one attach something to the sidewall? Would be able to find one of the studs in there?

Do you have any advise for a motorhome newcomer?
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:37 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
I am the brand new owner of an absolutely new looking 2001 Hurricane 29D. It took quite a while to find a nice non mid 90's unit that did not have slide-outs (which we don't want). However, the thing has one (for me) problem. There is a rather large space between the drivers seat and the side wall. I have seen other motorhomes that have this space filled with an armrest and a cup holder and a million switches. Do newer Hurricanes have something in that space, or can one find any aftermarket shelf/armrest to put there? How would one attach something to the sidewall? Would be able to find one of the studs in there?

Do you have any advise for a motorhome newcomer?
Hi Hudsoner. I have similar space to the left of the driver's seat on my 2010 Hurricane. When I had the new Big Foot jacks installed, the dealer put the control box for the jacks on the left wall, easily reached by the driver. That only takes a small space, however. On the floor, next to the wall, I put a long plastic container about eight inches wide. I bought it at Walmart, and it has a rough bottom surface that keeps it from sliding along the carpet. In that container, I keep a few things that I might use for an emergency, such as the tool to remove hubcaps, and a hammer that I could use to break the glass by the driver's side in case we can't get to the exit door if we have an accident. I also put a container on the right side of the passenger seat. There's a hammer in that container also, along with a number of other things that my wife uses, such as maps and CDs for the radio. As you know, there is a lot of floor space, and the containers are not in the way. Hope this helps. Komac
Old 02-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
My new old 29D will be coming "home" this weekend. And I will start to make it ours.
The coach has no leveling system, what would be the best (and lowest cost) path to go, to get leveling installed. Would electric levelers be better or not as good as hydraulic ones? How much different is between them? Which are lower cost? What would you do to avoid to spend my entire pension check to get levelers?
Old 03-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Now that I had time to get a little used to my Hurricane, I have some questions. Reading around here, a lot of people like the fantastic fans.

Has anybody ever installed one in a Hurricane? My setup has the air condition unit installed in the opening closest to the kitchen/stove. The other free skylight in the front is closser to the dining area/couch. Would anybody know how to get the required 12 V to this opening?
Old 03-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
My new old 29D will be coming "home" this weekend. And I will start to make it ours.
The coach has no leveling system, what would be the best (and lowest cost) path to go, to get leveling installed. Would electric levelers be better or not as good as hydraulic ones? How much different is between them? Which are lower cost? What would you do to avoid to spend my entire pension check to get levelers?

I have a 2002 Hurricane 29D. It does not have leveling system either. So to save money. I purchased six 7500 lb. scissor jacks and welded them to the frame behind the front wheels, infront of the rear wheels and in the back almost all the way to the rear. I DO NOT use these for leveling I use the lynx levelers and the jacks to stabilize. I use my drill to raise and lower the jacks. On the feet of the jacks I also welded a 8 x 8 inch 3/8 inch thick steel plate to keep them from pushing in the ground and they work great. The motorhome is rock solid you cant even shake it. The scissor jacks work great and are a heck of alot cheaper than $4000 dollar electric jacks.
Hurricane29 is offline   Reply With Quote