RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #1

Hurricane storage compartment door leaks

I have a 2011 Hurricane 30Q. I have been fighting with leaking storage compartment door since day one. I have changed weatherstrip, added weatherstrip, tightened latches. No real lasting fixes. I gave up putting anything in the outside pass through storage bins because they fill up with water.
Has anyone solved this issue or am I destined to be drying out compartments forever.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe the storage bay is cracked?

Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #3

It is the door, all of them.

The compartments are not cracked. It is the doors on all of the storage compartments. The doors leak on the other compartments but it doesn't matter since they are not closed in or wet anyway.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2010 30Q with the same issue since I bought it new in May 2010. I gave up on trying to keep the pass-through storage doors even semi-leak proof. What I do now is simply store the things which aren't affected by water near the doors. The interior area from about six inches away from the doors stays dry. My other storage bins also leak during moderate to heavy rain. I believe the design is flawed. Sorry I can't be more help. Komac
komac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #5

Is the compartment large enough to get you inside and close the door?

Maybe with a trusted assistant you can find the leak that way.

just a thought.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:33 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed felt covered plywood on the floor of the compartment. Recessed back a an inch from the edge of the door. Carriage bolts hold them in place. Some moisture still gets through but it runs under the plywood floor.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:07 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I haven't had water leakage into my storage compartment but delamination around all the doors. I found the door frame had minimal if any sealant which could be your problem.

The doors can be removed by pulling all the screws around the door frame inside the compartment. I resealed the frame with RTV silicone and a bead of standard caulk around the outside.

Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #8

Thanks to all. It is not the frame. The doors are flexible and the edge of the frame that the weatherstrip is on also flexes. I had plywood and carpet on the bin floors to stop stuff moving around. Of course the carpet got wet and molded. So I then put in puck board for a flat base. It doesn't mold but stuff slides. I vented the compartments with a soffit vent and a foam insert to keep dust out. I kept them out of the spray impact zone. I think this allows better dry out and removes any vacuum from temperature changes. I also put a gutter above the doors to try to deflect the heavy rain run off. This was partially successful. I only have two doors out of five that give me most of the trouble. The other four don't matter. My next try will be putting the weatherstrip on the door rather than the frame. This is a test and I will do it on my most critical bin first. The largest (right side) rear pass through storage door will probably never seal. I haven't given up, just regrouping.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMann View Post
Thanks to all. It is not the frame. The doors are flexible and the edge of the frame that the weatherstrip is on also flexes. I had plywood and carpet on the bin floors to stop stuff moving around. Of course the carpet got wet and molded. So I then put in puck board for a flat base. It doesn't mold but stuff slides. I vented the compartments with a soffit vent and a foam insert to keep dust out. I kept them out of the spray impact zone. I think this allows better dry out and removes any vacuum from temperature changes. I also put a gutter above the doors to try to deflect the heavy rain run off. This was partially successful. I only have two doors out of five that give me most of the trouble. The other four don't matter. My next try will be putting the weatherstrip on the door rather than the frame. This is a test and I will do it on my most critical bin first. The largest (right side) rear pass through storage door will probably never seal. I haven't given up, just regrouping.
we had the same problem. the water ruined a $300.00 guitar of my husband's that was in the storage bin with the cover on. we never thought we would have a leak with a brand new motor home but we did. CW said they fixed it but when we took it on the road again, it still leaked. we had it "fixed" again the next year and it still didn't work. with the vibration that we were having they weighed the motor home and told us how much more we could put in storage or anywhere else in the RV. decided we couldn't use the storage area anyway since we were practically overweight. now we only keep things in there that are not damaged by water and make sure the plug is out.
good luck...joan
rector1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:20 AM   #10

I sealed my compartment, dry now.

My 2005 34N Hurricane had a leaking compartment. I removed the door and frame, removed old sealant, and used the recommended sealant from my dealer. It is Geocel ProFlexRV flexible sealant (Clear). upc 079239281283
Clean all old sealant areas with vinegar to clean.
inspector8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:45 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Same leaking problem with our 2015 Hurricane 34F. The right rear "large" cabinet seems to be the worst. We have tried re-calk etc and it seems to be better but still leaks. It was so bad at one point that water was on the floor in the bedroom by the back window. Will keep trying and report if we figure this out. Thanks to everyone for the great comments...
jacksharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:58 PM   #12

Talking Compartment leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksharp View Post
Same leaking problem with our 2015 Hurricane 34F. The right rear "large" cabinet seems to be the worst. We have tried re-calk etc and it seems to be better but still leaks. It was so bad at one point that water was on the floor in the bedroom by the back window. Will keep trying and report if we figure this out. Thanks to everyone for the great comments...
My only leaking compartment was also the right rear. I used an entire caulking tube when I sealed mine and the compartment is dry as a bone now.

If you have water inside by the back window, thats another leak. Remove that window and reseal with the caulking I mentioned above. Don't wait as your walls will start to delaminate.
inspector8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:16 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Thanks so much! We only saw water on the floor one time, so just figured that was related to the outside compartment. I will look into this for sure!!! Thanks so much for all the great help on this.
jacksharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:06 AM   #14

Wet compartments

My 2004 30Q was collecting water in the storage bins. So I drilled several small holes in the bottoms of the bins to let it out. Now they stay fairly dry. Replaced seals, caulked, ect.. nothing works, so now water just passes through. Just Another Old Doggy, Don

OldDoggy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, hurricane, leak, leaks, storage