Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2018, 02:22 PM   #183

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
Thanks, good info. Have you had any reception issues?
No reception issues yet.
Adam1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2018, 02:34 PM   #184

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Completed two large tasks today

With the help of a good friend I completed the installation of the Safe-T-Plus steering control module and my rear LED lights.

I will try to complete the backsplash install next Wednesday morning.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-04-29_13-56-07_494.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	399.3 KB
ID:	200921   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-04-29_13-56-22_237.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	200922  

Name:	2018-04-29_13-57-25_783.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	200923   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-04-29_13-57-30_820.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	200924  

Old 05-01-2018, 07:32 PM   #185

Hello, I am sharing a similar situation as you. I purchased a used 2013 Palazzo DP in Sept. 2016, with only 5000 miles. I do not have as many issue as you do but the one I do have is bad enough, The full wall slide out. My unit sat at camping world almost 8 months before I got feed up with them, Thor, and Lippert. I finally had enough and said I would fix it my self because of the poor quality work. I got it home retimed the gears, trimed off a piece of metal that would not allow the slide to fully close which threw it out of sinc every few uses. I bought 2 motors and a set of gear racks just incase and headed on a 3 month trip which we are 2 months into and the slide out is still working great. Today while reading Irv2 I ran into a post my you mentioning slide out issues and getting the power gear system. did you get it installed and was wondering how it worked out since it floats and our old system had rollers at each motor to support the slide out.
therewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:41 PM   #186

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
Hello, I am sharing a similar situation as you. I purchased a used 2013 Palazzo DP in Sept. 2016, with only 5000 miles. I do not have as many issue as you do but the one I do have is bad enough, The full wall slide out. My unit sat at camping world almost 8 months before I got feed up with them, Thor, and Lippert. I finally had enough and said I would fix it my self because of the poor quality work. I got it home retimed the gears, trimed off a piece of metal that would not allow the slide to fully close which threw it out of sinc every few uses. I bought 2 motors and a set of gear racks just incase and headed on a 3 month trip which we are 2 months into and the slide out is still working great. Today while reading Irv2 I ran into a post my you mentioning slide out issues and getting the power gear system. did you get it installed and was wondering how it worked out since it floats and our old system had rollers at each motor to support the slide out.
I did not get it installed. Lippert nor Thor would help me out. Actually, Thor has NEVER helped me on ANYTHING! Thor does not consider me a client as I am often referred to as "your not the original owner/purchaser" so the answer is NO to everything. I had the screws that hold the two gear tracks lined with an expensive adhesive to keep the tracks attached to the slide. The worst were the ones towards the back of the coach. I think I'm going to need the same done to the front side soon.

One thing Thor did for me is to make sure I buy a Tiffin DP in 3 years and NOT a Thor product. They are not even nice about it either. I once sent a nice letter through the mail and I received an email response which they spent 30 seconds typing.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:44 PM   #187

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Backsplash still not completed

I got everything finished/installed/repaired except:

1. Kitchen backsplash
2. Undercarriage rust inhibiter around bays
3. Waiting on Wi-Fi dome to arrive

Fun times ahead!

Old 05-15-2018, 01:29 AM   #188

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Wi-Fi dome antenna has arrived. Backsplash is 90% complete. Hopefully finish the backsplash and add photos on the 17th. Wi-Fi antenna and rust inhibitor is on the schedule for the 26th.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:48 PM   #189

Hey there... love the fireplace addition. My wife is asking for the same in our 34E. Thanks for the pics but can you offer a bit narration? I'm a new RV owner and while I'm extremely knowledgeable about house construction, I don't know the first thing about how the Hurricane goes together (or comes apart for that matter). In particular, where did you pick up the power for the fireplace?
Fairfieldwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:43 PM   #190

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
There was already a power outlet inside the cabinet which was there. As for details on the build I think each model might be different but the next chance I get I will look for the secure points and update this. I'm sorry, I can't remember.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:41 AM   #191

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1219 View Post
I did not get it installed. Lippert nor Thor would help me out. Actually, Thor has NEVER helped me on ANYTHING! Thor does not consider me a client as I am often referred to as "your not the original owner/purchaser" so the answer is NO to everything. I had the screws that hold the two gear tracks lined with an expensive adhesive to keep the tracks attached to the slide. The worst were the ones towards the back of the coach. I think I'm going to need the same done to the front side soon.

One thing Thor did for me is to make sure I buy a Tiffin DP in 3 years and NOT a Thor product. They are not even nice about it either. I once sent a nice letter through the mail and I received an email response which they spent 30 seconds typing.
Adam 1219 Winnebago was no better to me. I had a '93 Winnebago Vectra 33 MH that the basement door skins were attached with a two sided tape. Around 2000 or 2001 I had the first door skin come off going down the highway. A few months later the second one came off at 65 MPH. Winnebago would not even talk to me. After replacing the second panel I went through the entire basement with a drill and aluminum pop rivets. Problem solved, and I have owned my last Winnebago! It is not just a single manufacturer problem it is an industry problem.
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:14 PM   #192

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I plan on installing the Winegard Wi-Fi dome on Saturday (providing it does not rain as it has for the past two weeks everyday). I was wondering if the video switching/director box has 12 volt input. I'm looking for a 12 volt power source. Any ideas other than unwire it and put a volt meter on it?
Old 05-26-2018, 07:56 PM   #193

Replacing Jensen radio in Hurricane

I'm not ashamed to admit that I've purchased motor vehicles in my life based on the sound quality of the radio. In probably 20 instances, I've bought the vehicle anyway and then replaced the radio. That was certainly the case when I picked up my (new to us) 2014 Hurricane three weeks ago.

I can definitely see that the standard Jensen head unit is the best audio system $99.95 can buy. Used to be Jensen was a primo audio brand in the same league as Polaroid, Bell & Howell and Altec Lansing were in their respective categories. I also understand that for a hundred bucks it represented an easy way for Thor to integrate three cameras. But, out it came.

I replaced it with a Pioneer MVH-1400NEX that i purchased from Crutchfield. My criteria for selecting Crutchfield is that those guys know audio and they're not Amazon.com. I added a Sirius/XM tuner (which I'm told can't actually be added to the $99 Jensen wonder).

I was also expecting to find $2 speakers above the cab and wasn't disappointed. Maybe $2.39 tops. I (or rather my chip-off-the-old-block 18 yo kid) replaced those with JBL GX602 5 1/2" two way speakers.

I was not concerned that the Pioneer couldn't manage the three backup/turn signal cameras because in my opinion, the lower, center of the dash is not the place a driver should be looking when they're getting ready to make a lane change. I wanted a screen that would be higher up and on the left side of the instrument cluster as Fleetwood does it.

I turned to Rearviewsafety.com and took their advice, selecting the RVS6137-N 7" screen, the RVS-501N multiplexer. I needed some way to get the funky Jensen camera cables to plug into the multiplexer and these guys had just the thing- three of their RVS-ADFF cables. The backup screen installation was silly-easy and worked first time. I plugged the cables coming from the cameras into the adapter cables, plugged them into the multiplexer and the screen into the multiplexer. added power and a ground connection and it worked perfectly. WAY better quality image than what appeared on the Jensen screen too,

Installation and wiring of the Pioneer head unit was definitely more tricky.

Home Depot speaker wire
First of all, while removing the Jensen unit I discovered that one of the rear speaker wire pairs (that goes to the speakers in the bedroom) wasn't actually connected. Instead, there was some ordinary speaker wire under the dash that was connected to the Jensen and the just went somewhere. But the speakers did work with the Jensen head unit so I assumed that maybe the speaker wasn't working at the time the coach was delivered, the owner complained and the service tech, rather than trying to find where the wire went bad, just replaced the whole run with residential speaker wire. So I connected to the Home Depot speaker wire. Those speakers did work when I was all done so I must have guessed right.

Soldering Iron / Fuse Fiasco
Here's where my installation began to go south on me. I decided to go with all soldered connections rather than crimp connections between the coach wiring and the new audio system wiring harness. I did a masterful soldering job if I do say so myself, sealing up each soldered connection with heat shrink tubing.

But when I went to try the radio, I got nothing. While I thought I was being really careful while handling the 12V power wires, I presumed I blew the fuse anyways. But I also wondered if I happened to have a lemon stereo. There was the switch to the cab dome light. Why not just connect the car stereo power lead to the hot side of the dome light switch just to see if I could get it to light up? What could go wrong? Splice, splice, solder. Beautiful work. And... dome light is now no longer working either. I blew that fuse too.

I scouted hard for the blown fuse without any luck. This is where I threw in the towel. See my post about paying $300 for a tech at the St. Augustine CampingWorld to find my blown fuse. Two hours and $300 later, the tech said he replaced the blown fuses in the engine compartment fuse panel (which no human can possibly see because it's around the corned from the hood. ) and that my radio and dome lights were now working.

I got back home to finish my installation. I tested the radio and it sounded great. Then I moved on to the backup camera, deciding to get the 12V i requires from the radio power lead. I touched my soldering iron to the power lead. Instantly the radio stopped playing. Yes indeed... I blew fuse.

Now I knew. It wasn't accidentally shorting the wires while I was working. Note to self: if you plan on soldering wires on the 12V side of your coach, DO NOT plug the soldering iron into a receptacle on the 110V side of the coach. Because you create a ground loop and will blow the 12V fuses. every.single.time. But this time, I knew where the fuses were, popped new ones in and was all set.

The audio system sounds fantastic or at least as fantastic as an audio system can sound where the front pair of speakers are in the cab where they belong and the rear speakers are in the bedroom 28 feet back.

All's well that ends well. Here's some pics. https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...Ko-s4tM1xcSHaZ
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...Zk0RyG0_m4bE7f
Fairfieldwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:18 AM   #194

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Updates

I did not get the Wi-Fi dome installed. Here in Florida it has rained just about every day for the past two weeks so I thought I would put that off and focus on some of the other tasks. My new date for the dome is June 9. I work a lot so two or three days a month is all I have to work on my big boy toy.

I finally finished the backsplash (only about a month behind schedule) and I think it looks good. I did learn some lessons if I ever do this again but the it looks much better and I'm satisfied.

Here are some of the finished pics.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-05-26_17-41-22_801.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	204609   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-26_17-41-29_738.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	204610  

Name:	2018-05-26_17-41-35_339.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	204611  
Old 05-28-2018, 05:05 PM   #195

Looks good Adam.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:04 PM   #196

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Wi-fi dome next week

The Winegard Wi-Fi dome antenna installation is scheduled for June 9 now. Hopefully I can get that done along with removing everything from the bays on the passenger side and applying the rust inhibitor. Estimated time for these two tasks is 4 hours. I don't have any help scheduled so it will take longer for one person. I hate it when you find a good knowledgeable helper, you pay them well for their time but just as a lot of progress is made they move away.

Tags
adco, cyclone, dish tailgator, ecocamel, hurricane, hurricane 34f, repair, repairs, thor, thor 34f, tpms, upgrade, wi-fi extender