RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #1

Hurricane vs Palazzo

I'm trying to find the differences between the Thor Hurricane bunkhouse and the Thor Palazzo Bunkhouse. I went and looked at the two this weekend (2014 models) and they were practically identical (including the floorplan).

The Palazzo is a little shorter.
The Palazzo had a queen vs the Hurricane's king.
The Palazzo had a residential fridge.
The Palazzo did not have an outdoor kitchen, the Hurricane did.
The Palazzo did not have an oven, the Hurricane did.
The Palazzo is a diesel pusher, the Hurricane is gas.

The Palazzo is going for $60,000 more than the Hurricane.

I've been lurking here a long time. I've been all over the Internet collecting information and have come to the conclusion that a diesel pusher is better than gas. But $60,000 better? There has got to be something else going on here.

Please help.

Riover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #2

Other things to consider but may still not justify the $60k in your mind. Ride of a diesel is usually better, engine in back is quieter, brakes are better.

Fresh water tank on Palazzo is twice the size. Exterior storage (136 vs 109).

Diesel will tend to get better mpg but fuel costs more. Diesels will last for a really long time but maintenance typically costs more.

Take a good look at build quality. Hurricanes tend to be lower end units (I have one). Don't know about the Palazzo.

I find the difference hard to justify but others love their diesels.

2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #3

Riover, as Tom mentioned there are the obvious differences. I have been shopping DPs for over a year and my take is the DP chassis is heavier and ride better...quieter with the rear engine....more expensive to maintain unless you do the normal maintenance yourself. (I will get an argument here from the DP folks). A DP engine is bullet proof and you won't live long enough to wear it out....I think the same can be said for the Ford V10 also. My 13 year old is the two valve engine vs the newer three valve and it runs like a hose...mileage is 7.5mpg average over 65,000 miles and never been in the shop....As mentioned you get better mileage with a smaller DP, but diesel fuel is about 20% higher than reg. gas which works fine in a V10.

If you are going to travel a lot, in mountains, etc the DP is probably the better way to go. The $60K difference is a moot point. It depends on your personal assets. Buying a gasser and then using the 60K for fuel and insurance for the life of your gasser make sense too....your choice...let us know. Have fun shopping.
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Take a look at the Thor Owners forum for a huge amount of information. Palazzo Owners is one very good thread, several others. You will see plus and minus about Palazzo.
Do a test drive and you will see one of the several reasons I have a Palazzo rather than a gasser.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #5

I would test drive both... they may look equal on paper but there are some things to consider. As for the higher price MH, the more you can haggle on the price. For example, you may get 15% off msrp of the lower priced MH while you can get 25-30% off the higher priced MH.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #6

We bought a 2012 Hurricane, put about 3000 miles on it and traded it for a 2013 Palazzo. Test drive both and you will have your answer. Make it a real test drive with freeway driving and some hills, there is no comparison between the two. The Hurricane will be ok if all you are taking is short trips, but for any serious miles the DP is the only way to go.

Bill
OC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:01 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Also take a hard look at CCC - Cargo Carry Capacity. It is not well advertised because it depends on options installed but there is a label on the door or near the entry. See how much you have left after full fuel and some water in the tanks. I understand gassers are commonly very lacking in CCC.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #8

Comparing a diesel to a gas powered chassis and the benefits of purchasing each would be difficult. If you are looking only at $$$ go for the gas because the overall cost of the end unit is less. Cost of maintenance would be a wash. My freightliner chassis and Cummins engine is serviced every 12 months or 15000 miles and the cost at Freightliner is $500 -$600 per service visit. I do not know the service interval for the Ford V10 but I would bet that it would get 3-5 oil changes alone in the same 12000 - 15000 miles. BTW, I have owned my Palazzo for a year and I have 12000 miles and I am due my next service at 18500 (Feb 2014).

As for major maintenance the mean time between major maintenance on the Cummins 300 HP engine is 350,000 miles which I don't think I will ever reach.

Fuel costs is another factor...the gas model gets 7.5 to 8 MPG whereas my Cummins gets 10.5 to 11.5 MPG and has more to do if I am driving in the mountains or on flat roads. I have gotten as high a 11.7 MPG on a recent trip. I tow a Honda CR-V on a dolly (about 3700 lbs). As you can see the cost difference between gas and diesel fuel is again a wash.

As others have said, drive both and make your own decision. I had a front engine diesel before I purchased the Palazzo and I will never own anything but a diesel pusher. In my opinion there is no comparison between gas and diesel.

Good luck with your decision!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #9

As previously mentioned (and because Ive been making this same comparison, but with a Forest River FR3), with the pusher you get:

Air suspension
Air brakes
22.5" tires
Cummins engine
Allison transmission
Freightliner chassis

Also, as previously stated, the service costs with the new ISB and the long life coolant and other additions are a wash.

One thing I havent seen mentioned is that diesels seem to hold their value better in the long term.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
More thoughts-

No hump so flat floor
Diesel generator so longer lasting, more powerful, more fuel efficient
Residential refrigerator although. Suppose some gassers have now
Quiet ride - huge difference although rough road still creates noise
Air suspension - not just smoother ride, also enables lowering when parked
Air manifold for adding air to either RV or toad tires.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
More thoughts-

No hump so flat floor
Another valid point, although some manufacturers (like FR) are building the coach so the floor is flat. The doghouse is still there, so its not perfectly flat like you would find in a DP, but its MUCH better than the doghouse of old IMO.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have a 2013 Hurricane. We left Texas in June and will be home the end of August after spending the month in Colorado. We will be trading this Hurricane for a DP as soon as we find one we like but definitely before we take another trip. We have gone from Texas to NM, AZ, UT, Idaho, MT, in Wyoming now but will be in Colorado tomorrow. This MH is uncomfortable, does not have a residential fridge, the oven is useless as it will not get hotter than 250 degrees, the half bath is smaller than a closet as is the shower. The only thing I can say that I like about this MH is it does have good overhead storage. I wouldn't recommend a Hurricane. Just my humble opinion.
ginny47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #13

Thanks for the input everybody. We made our purchase. Partially due to the feedback on this post (and circumstances) we went with the Palazzo. I really appreciate all of you who were willing to share your opinions.
Riover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riover View Post
Thanks for the input everybody. We made our purchase. Partially due to the feedback on this post (and circumstances) we went with the Palazzo. I really appreciate all of you who were willing to share your opinions.
Welcome to the Palazzo family! What model did you buy?

TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane