Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2016, 09:13 PM   #4873

I was very frustrated after our pick-up also. We even spent several days at the customer lot to find issues. We thought we found them all, but then we found a whole lot more (like the windshield not being attached across the top...). We actually drove around for almost a year with Gorilla Tape holding the windshield on, among many other issues. Eventually we went to the factory with a complete (at the time) list of issues and they fixed almost all of them. We then got a final list of warranty items to be fixed nearby.

Since these items have been fixed, I've been very happy with the rig. I think I have the dreaded front-quarter-panelitis on the passenger side, but this is something I will have taken care of when I verify it.

From what I've seen, all new rigs have issues. I don't like it, but your best bet is to find as many issues the first year as possible and have them fixed under warranty. I still get nervous every time I operate the slide or front bunk, but I've been lucky so far. Hopefully I stay lucky! I would have a hard time giving up the garage too though, so I don't have a lot of options.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2016, 06:24 AM   #4874

Mostly I'm just frustrated. Things will get fixed and we will survive.

On the outside TV I can wiggle the coax cable and cause the picture to drop off so with luck thats all it is. To get to it tho it appears the tv has to come out and I don't have the correct driver for the screws.

Like I said, it appears my expectations were set way too high. I didn't expect to have so many little issues with a new vehicle. I do understand it is industry wide but that shouldn't have to be, in my humble opinion.

If we do move away from the toy hauler we have worked out how to bring my bike and a car along so we will be fine. Not jumping ship just yet but I will keep my options open. Lol
Old 04-30-2016, 03:47 PM   #4875

While I'm thinking about it.............

How many folks on here actually live in their Outlaw full time?
Old 04-30-2016, 05:42 PM   #4876
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Outlaw Full-Timers

We have only been able to enjoy the full-time life for just over a month at a time... then had to get back to the demands of the 'Burbs with work, elder care, and grandkids

But I will represent for some of our founders that just visit here less...Don (DGShaffer, 3611), Dan (BpK9Miami, 3612 - R.I.P), Vi (ViCap, 3808), Brent (DropFrame, 3611) and Veronica and Denny (RVOutlawz, 37MD).
See: RV Outlawz | Denny and Veronica's adventures on the road!

Don traded for a beautiful Challenger, but still full-time. Vi downsized for a TT. Brent and the family , and Denny and Veronica are still full-time Outlaws AFAIK

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:30 PM   #4877

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyOutlaw View Post
While I'm thinking about it.............
How many folks on here actually live in their Outlaw full time?
We are just over one full year fully full-time in our 2015 Outlaw 38RE.

Any frustrations with Thor are well within the bounds of our expectations given the RV industry as we know it, the Outlaw's price-point, and our experience living full-time in three 40' - 42' Class A coaches.

So far, there has been NO need to take the Outlaw back to the factory !

We DID have to travel to Chino, CA, to the Alfa factory with our then brand new 2001 Alfa 40' See Ya SN#8. We spent FIVE days achieving repairs and the 43 "service bulletins" that needed to be applied. Yet, Alfa still needed to send us next to the Oakland Freightliner Truck Shop for another multi-day appointment! After a six week delay on their "RV waiting list," the rest of the needed work was performed, including "leveling the coach's airbag suspension." After > 5,000 very dangerous miles, leveling allowed our coach to finally ride safely at highway speeds. When we sold that pusher, the buyer got a fully functional and safe Class A. Lessons: Don't buy a single digit serial number - let the factory work out initial production issues. And, if you buy a diesel pusher, be prepared as an RV owner at Big Truck Depots for LONG waits.

We also had to travel to the Nappanee, IN factory with our then brand new 2008 Newmar Allstar 4257 42' Toyhauler. At the time, I thought that a much more expensive pusher from a "Highline" manufacturer, delivered through a great dealership, should have left us with many fewer frustrations. We paid more than twice as much for the Newmar, and we did have far fewer than half as many issues than with the Alfa - but we still needed a factory trip "for formal approval to carry our Smartcar in the 4257 garage." This after we bought the 4257 specifically on the basis of Newmar distributing advertising photos showing a Smartcar being hauled inside their 4257! As far as I know, we were the only owners ever to actually receive such a Newmar factory "letter of approval." Before selling the 4257, we did blow the turbo output casting leading to more than a month long repair between the Newmar dealership and the Cummins diesel shop. Lessons: Don't trust any RV manufacturer, and be prepared as an RV owner at Big Truck Depots for LONG waits.

Again, so far, we have had no need for a factory repair visit with our Outlaw 38RE.

However, for perspective, our satisfaction with this Thor product is based on buying our coach knowing we would potentially need to self-solve a long list of "improvement opportunities," some identified before coach acquisition, but most identified only by living in the motorhome. You need a full set of tools. You must also stock on-board a good inventory of nuts, bolts, screws and hardware supplies adequate for daily projects.

We redesigned our 38RE kitchen to integrate an upgraded microwave that adds the convection oven feature. We pulled out the gas oven in favor of a premium stainless steel three burner gas cooktop which made room below the cooktop for our Vesta dishwasher. Above the kitchen cabinets, the factory DVD player was upgraded to Blu-Ray.
Dishwasher and Convection Microwave

The rear patio deck was re-engineered with a block-and-tackle, enhanced hinge springs, a reversed railing gate, and low railing bars recently added for small dog safety. The deck surface was water-sealed along all the outer edges and all hardware brackets so the deck structure does not become filled with water and rot when the deck is left open in the rain. (See photos in the new MODS post for the reversed gate. One can now actually use the hand rail with a gate that opens outward.)
Preload Deck Springs
Block and Tackle
Block and Tackle Storage
Waterproofing the Deck Surface
Small Dog Deck Mods
Reversed Deck Gate

We gutted the 38RE's living area - the uncomfortable sofa was removed and replaced with two VERY comfortable Ikea chairs, a low side-table / storage cabinet and a pull-out pantry built from a 37LS pantry core acquired from Thor by our dealer.
Chairs/Table/Pantry

Where the oversized dinette arrived from the factory, we now have two bar stools and an Ikea bar-height table (widened 50% by adding a custom hinged drop leaf - photos to follow soon on the MODs thread).

A movable stainless steel kitchen island (adding more kitchen storage plus a coffee bar and prep counter) occupies the balance of the space liberated by gutting the uncomfortable factory dinette.

The Thor factory mattress was tossed and replaced with a pair of Ikea twin mattresses plus foam pads. The Ikea twins are a few inches undersized compared with the industry, so the Ikea pair are only slightly wider than the Thor factory "king" which was seriously more narrow than an industry king (an industry king mattress will NOT fit in a 38RE).

The air conditioning was redesigned. We starting with an upgrade of both factory units to high capacity heat pumps, swapped by our dealer prior to coach delivery. The rear AC unit's ducts were completely redesigned and extended to fully supply conditioned air to the 38RE bedroom, not just supply air to the sitting area (while freezing the front bathroom).

ALL six ceiling ducts were found to significantly leak AC air pressure into the roof insulation cavity at both AC points-of-supply, failing to deliver much of their conditioned air to the coach's interior living space. Once all the ducts were sealed, the two main AC units easily match our front-to-back cooling demands w/o need for running the 5000 BTU 3rd AC (which can still be run at lower electricity usage for quiet sleeping if desired).

We added a small GE dehumidifier from Home Depot to improve humid sleeping conditions on nights when it is not warm enough to run the AC.

The "computer desk" in front of the passenger chair was upgraded, replaced with a much larger work surface that is now credible for dual-head computing. Besides computer hardware, it provides a surface area large enough for papers and pens plus a drink glass and plate of food. The associated passenger chair was modified so both the rotation and forward-back levers will allow one much more easily to sit down, rotate forward, and then slide up to the desk surface.

All 5 pee-traps were upgraded to improve under-sink storage and integrate true Studor valves (the cheap factory air relief valves leaked creating odors). Solar powered roof fans were added on top of both plumbing vent stacks. These tiny fans were modified to run 24 hours a day from coach 12VDC providing constant negative pressure on all three holding tanks. Additional negative pressure blowers were added to the rear tank's dump compartment to negate further any possibility of tank odors entering the coach's living space.

We did have to return to Danville, VA for our windshield leak repair. It was removed and re-installed, fixing the widely reported leaks. Work was performed at our dealer's glass subcontractor shop.
Danville Windshield Repair

Our second year aboard holds plans to replace the kitchen sink and kitchen counter, add more shelves in several of the pantries, and refit the pantry under the main TV with an electric fireplace module before next winter.

Downstairs, only a few of the compartments have final fitup - one compartment every month or two seems to be our pace.
Larry in NC, Tango 38RE - Outlaw #2049
RV.Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #4878

Larry while I certainly appreciate your tenacity in making your Outlaw everything you need I just don't have the desire to start gutting and remodeling ours.

Honestly, I feel we jumped the gun and bought something we "thought" would be a good fit only to find we probably didn't. Not saying this is a bad RV, just not the best choice for us in hind sight.

So, here we are and here's where we'll be for a couple more years most likely. That's fine, we'll make it work.

I can say I'm frustrated with getting service work/warranty work completed but I will stay on them until we are satisfied. I do now understand it is industry wide with some brands being either better or worse.

Thanks for your thoughts. Much appreciated.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:00 PM   #4879
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV.Driver View Post
We are just over one full year fully full-time in our 2015 Outlaw 38RE...snip.
OH MY GOSH!!!

Have been watching all the mods, but didn't catch that this was done while living in the coach.

We have the garage to use as a shop, but the RE has no type space...I am amazed

Safe Outlaw travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 05-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #4880
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
GEN II Outlaw Owner - locked out of a bin - Any Ideas?
See: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/door...en-289115.html

Safe Outlaw Travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 05-02-2016, 08:08 PM   #4881

I just returned from the service center... Over all I had 32 issues fixed, repaired or replaced. Most of the items would be considered minor but it still limited the use of my rv. At the service center I was able to take my first hot shower since ownership on 9/11/15. 2 crossed wires causing a 15a fuse to blow.
A major issue was a leaking passenger window that took several months to resolve. I do have a new issue I'm having to deal with, inside of front tires are completely gone with 3,115 miles on them. While at the service center they found the extreme wear and sent me to a ford dealer for repairs. Still working on this one.
By the way I live in my Outlaw full time. Sold the stick & brick last year...
Old 05-02-2016, 09:50 PM   #4882
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14theroad View Post
I just returned from the service center... Over all I had 32 issues fixed...By the way I live in my Outlaw full time. Sold the stick & brick last year...
Steve,
CONGRATS!!

So glad the factory service center held up to their reputation. Just too bad your local service center wasn't capable

Hope Ford steps-up about the alignment. TMC is an authorized user of the F53 which is prepped by MorRyde before the house is constructed.
Ford is on the hook...if installing a RV on that chassis voids Ford's warranty, every gas powered Class A in North America has no chassis warranty

Also, hope you add your name here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/list...rs-280110.html

And...LOVE your profile photo. The Outlaw and Harley look almost color coordinated

Safe Outlaw Travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 05-03-2016, 11:01 AM   #4883

I am also full timer. Lost my wife last summer and have been in my Outlaw since last July. I love it. I bought my 2013 Outlaw new, and have had many of the issues identifiel here, but most were resolved in my three trips to Elkart and the warranty service center. They are great. If you search the forums for my name you also find issues I fixed myself. If you are not a do-it-yourselfer, full time RV life may not be for you.

BTW, I live on the banks of the Mississippi (well, a bit of a backwater).
Old 05-03-2016, 11:02 AM   #4884

Oh, and BTW, I have a new lady friend. Happy camper.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:53 AM   #4885

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by riplingj View Post
Oh, and BTW, I have a new lady friend. Happy camper.
Good to hear Jeff! Be happy and travel safe.
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #4886
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The factory website has made the change to the 2017 models...gone is the 37LS, replaced but the 37BG
https://thormotorcoach.com/outlaw/class-a/floorplans/

The new patio fence is featured and the exterior dimensions are identical to the 37RB and they are playing it safe with the identical 2,500lb garage capacity (but, I believe it should be higher in the BG with no loft, loft stair, and less cabinets in the salon). But the bin storage is dropped from 127cu.ft to117 cu.ft (wonder what's different?).

The Class C Outlaw got some attention too:

Safe Outlaw Travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV

Tags
thor, damon, outlaw