Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2017, 10:43 AM   #5769
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA581A View Post
Has anyone cut through the floor? in the 3611 FRED? there is a pass through under the RV that is only about 12 to 14 inches tall.. but to get to it you need to be a contortionist. I am thinking of putting in inside trap door in the floor any issue with this?
Dennis,

No, we have not cut the floor...so just thinking aloud here...

*All 3611's "should" have the same basic floor structure (just the doghouse and firewall is different with the FRED).

*The floor is a 1 piece heat/pressure/vacuum bonded structure, just like the walls and roof. The floor sits on a neoprene covered joint to the steel cross members added above the chassis frame rail that provide the space for pass-through (I would avoid cutting a cross member)

*Within this era Outlaw, there was ducts in the floor for the furnace. I would remove the furnace vent registers near to the area you want to cut and "snake it" to ensure there's no ducting where you want to cut.

*The pass through bins contain the slide drive rails and some important wiring, just under the floor, so you would want to double check for clearance on those before cutting.

*The is no power cables or plumbing pipes within the floor structure that I know of, so that should not be an issue.

If you do it - Best Luck and hope you share all about it

Safe Outlaw Travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2017, 12:23 PM   #5770

I always thought that would be a good place for a floor safe

Or maybe a trapdoor/habitat for small pets when they need to be isolated.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:34 AM   #5771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Dennis,

No, we have not cut the floor...so just thinking aloud here...

*All 3611's "should" have the same basic floor structure (just the doghouse and firewall is different with the FRED).

*The floor is a 1 piece heat/pressure/vacuum bonded structure, just like the walls and roof. The floor sits on a neoprene covered joint to the steel cross members added above the chassis frame rail that provide the space for pass-through (I would avoid cutting a cross member)

*Within this era Outlaw, there was ducts in the floor for the furnace. I would remove the furnace vent registers near to the area you want to cut and "snake it" to ensure there's no ducting where you want to cut.

*The pass through bins contain the slide drive rails and some important wiring, just under the floor, so you would want to double check for clearance on those before cutting.

*The is no power cables or plumbing pipes within the floor structure that I know of, so that should not be an issue.

If you do it - Best Luck and hope you share all about it

Safe Outlaw Travels
Thank you depending on time and cost I may try to do this. if so I will take lots of pictures and post them.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:38 PM   #5772

Auto Gen. Start

Have the Outlaw 2016 38RF... Attempted to set up and turn on the Auto Gen Start with only the thermostat setting turned to 85F with everything else turned off and this thing comes on and runs for at least an hour with my run time setting set there. Coach inside a cool 74F so I'm at a loss.

Does the Inverter have to be turned off or does that matter???
I've grown accustomed to leaving it on in case a short power failure so Frig stays running.
Dean4bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:49 PM   #5773

Thor Owners Club
Helicopter Meet Ohio & Oshkosh Wi.

Well, my big adventure of the year has come and gone! Lots of preparation culminated in a trouble free vacation with not only the Damon Outlaw I converted to haul my helicopter, but also trouble free for the helicopter, Samurai toad, and the little airport scooter.

Gotta love it when it all works!

First was Homer's meet in Ohio on his farm, followed by the famous Oshkosh meet in Wisconsin...where Rotorway was celebrating their 50th anniversary as a helicopter kit manufacturer.

We had quite an assortment of Rotorways from one of the earliest scorpions to the very latest Talon.

We get to fly from the Ultralight field which is something the average pilot and plane does not get to do...largely once one arrives with his plane, you park and do not move until you leave! The rotorcraft guys also get their own lot to camp in and to assemble/unload the choppers and do general upkeep on them before flight.

Total trip was pushing 5,000 mi with nothing broken/malfunctioning on anything!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Homers & Oshkosh 2017 048 (480x640).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	172237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Homers & Oshkosh 2017 085 (480x640).jpg
Views:	85
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	172238  

Name:	Homers & Oshkosh 2017 099 (640x480).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	317.2 KB
ID:	172239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Homers & Oshkosh 2017 175 (640x360).jpg
Views:	105
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	172240  

Name:	Homers & Oshkosh 2017 141 (360x640).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	172241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Homers & Oshkosh 2017 043 (640x480).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	172242  

Name:	Homers & Oshkosh 2017 061 (640x480).jpg
Views:	85
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	172243   Click image for larger version

Name:	062 (640x480).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	172244  

Old 08-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #5774

Thanks for the awesome photos, Mike. My son has gone to Oshkosh for the last 4 years working as a West Ramp Rat, but not this year because he's a full-time working man now.

I have done two OTL trips this summer, also got good performances from my rig and toys , but I have returned with a crack across the upper corner of the windshield, I think resulting from rough roads. I think my next mod will be Koni shocks.

BTW, I referenced you on another thread last week here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/i-can...ml#post3737748
Old 08-10-2017, 10:02 AM   #5775

Thor Owners Club
Thank You Jeff!

BTW, on my first trip out, my windshield cracked at the upper left corner (about a quarter moon shape...not really visible while driving. I attributed the cause to frame twist and the fact I was dealing with the floor separation from the left sidewall at the time. It happened at the same Motel 6 RV pad shown in the picture above...but a couple over...the left front wheel rose on the pad while the right rear wheels sank in a muddy trough getting in place and CRACK!

I had it replaced when I got back. I also fixed the floor separation issues. About a year later while at Lake Pleasant I was on a road that went from a right crown to a left crown in a very short span and CRACK! This time on the right upper corner identical to the previous left one. In addition, that corner of the windshield popped out of the moulding. I put the windshield back in the moulding with a generous amount of black RTV as it was raining at the time and water was pouring in.

That crack is hardly noticeable, so im leaving it as maybe a stress reliever, and i'm very careful about things that could make the frame twist...such as driveways with an incline. I try to make their approach and departure slowly and more direct than with an angle. Been over a year now and this long trip without additional problems.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:47 PM   #5776

Wow, a helicopter in an outlaw. That's awesome. I have a new set of goals.
MXdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #5777

new owner in FL

First, many thanks to all who have contributed and especially those who moderate here. Because of this thread we cautiously chose Thor.

Brought home a new Outlaw 37BG a few weeks ago from Independence RV, $120k.

Always dreamed of hauling our own car, so last week we finally got to strap down a Scion IQ in the garage! (photos coming I swear). Ride was surprisingly rock solid and under weight (full gas tank .5 fresh tank):

FR = 7420
RE = 16500

Does anyone know what the weight limit is for the garage steps trap door? I'm guessing too low for the front wheel of the Scion at a static ~ 750 LB, so I have a 2'x4' - 3/4" piece of plywood covering it.

My user name is a take on an article I read referring to RVs as 'rolling roadblocks' :-)
RVroadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:30 PM   #5778
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVroadblock View Post
First, many thanks...
Brought home a new Outlaw 37BG a few weeks ago from Independence RV, $120k...

...Does anyone know what the weight limit is for the garage steps trap door? I'm guessing too low for the front wheel of the Scion at a static ~ 750 LB, so I have a 2'x4' - 3/4" piece of plywood covering it.

My user name is a take on an article I read referring to RVs as 'rolling roadblocks' :-)

Hope you add your ID here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/list...rs-280110.html

And hope you post all about the BG...you're only the second BG owner here.

I would not doubt the trapdoor could carry 1 tire of a Scion Iq...but unlike our Smart, that car is a front engine so, if loaded front first the load would be higher on the trap door...maybe it is smart to protect the trapdoor.

And...I say don't be a roadblock. That's for those stinky Diesel RV's and old folks. Outlaw owners should drive in a manner appropriate to the RV's identity

Safe Outlaw Travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-18-2017, 07:19 AM   #5779

37BG

I can see why the 37BG is rare, NO BEDROOM LOL (well, we have a garage/office/bedroom). Surprised my wife let that go one through frankly. It just seemed a bedroom was a waste of space most of the time. I wish there was a 13' garage AND a loft.

My very first mod was to remove the bottom stops from the queen bed lift - no way we are using a bunk ladder at this age. Bought a 5 step aluminum ladder for the front bunk also. The bed is still a bit tall, removing the couches is next.

The biggest challenge (aside from the floaty wallowy F53 suspension) is how to make the garage homey. We plan to paint the walls, bolt a headboard to one wall, hang a fabric curtain to hide the ramp, and fit a rug that will be rolled up when transporting the car. Maybe swag a lamp or two.

I would love one of those 3-season french doors for the back. Until then we may hang a clear vinyl 'strip' curtain to let the view in (like you see covering industrial refer openings). South FL temps are too high to enjoy the patio yet.

Another mod is the main room TV, mounted high up the wall. Bolted a pull down TV mount from Amazon in its place (jeez everything we buy seems to come from Amazon), still working the kinks out on that one. Amazon Fire feeds the HDMI splitter.

Added 3/4" foil/foam insulation to the doghouse underside to keep the heat down.

Agree with others, the Outlaw is a good value. we are willing to work on the minor stuff (jacks never ever autolevel is the biggest fail so far).
Old 08-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #5780
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVroadblock View Post
I can see why the 37BG is rare, NO BEDROOM LOL (well, we have a garage/office/bedroom). Surprised my wife let that go one through frankly. It just seemed a bedroom was a waste of space most of the time. I wish there was a 13' garage AND a loft....
...Agree with others, the Outlaw is a good value. we are willing to work on the minor stuff (jacks never ever autolevel is the biggest fail so far).
Totally agree the loft SHOULD have been maintained in the 37BG Ala' 37LS/3611...and made better by putting it on a pony lift to allow movement of the bed deck from a position up away from the garage floor - to a nice level for an adult to sit-up in the loft.

The mods sound great! About the leveling system..."zero point" (auto-level) is easy to reset. I have read that it may require 10 pushes instead of the 5 shown here...but not sure if that is true. See:

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-30-2017, 09:09 AM   #5781

Loose Entry Steps?!?!

Not sure how how this happened, but the front entry stairs on my 2013 3611 are loose. Not the folding step mind you, but the actual step box that leads into to the coach.

After poking around under the rig, I’ve figured out that the entire stair assembly is a simple box that must be bolted to the frame and floor in some way, and clearly those fastenings have become loose over time… but for the life of me, I can’t figure out how to tighten them back up since none of the bolts or screws are exposed in the undercarriage. My guess is that they may be under the carpet and linoleum, but I wanted to see if I could get confirmation of that before starting to tear up flooring on what could be a futile bolt hunt.

Anyone have experience here?

Thanks!
Mike

https://youtu.be/qnErOQ9F7f8
pdx01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:59 AM   #5782

Northern Colorado trip

We just got back from a three week trip to Colorado and had a great time on the Jeep trails there. We got our Outlaw for hauling ATVs inside, but use it also to tow the Jeep (without the ATVs inside). Our mileage towing ranged from 5.25mpg bucking a head wind on interstate 80 from Cheyenne to Rawlins to 8.25 the next day with no wind and a serious drop in elevation between Rawlins WY and Tremonton UT. Returning from the Boulder area I decided to take the interstates instead of shorter routes on lesser highways. At 75 years old I don't need the stress of dealing with 2 way traffic through the mountains and I think I'll travel that way from now on.

Returning from our ATV riding trip to Montana in July the rear axle started making a noise. The pinion bearing had gone bad and the differential repair cost us nearly $4,000 at the local Caterpillar repair facility. Has anyone else had that problem?

Attached are a few photos of this trip.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF3678 (800x450).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	329.7 KB
ID:	175007   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3635 (800x450).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	397.1 KB
ID:	175008