Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2018, 06:35 AM   #5951

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14theroad View Post
I have a similar issue.. had to add an extension to the ramp because bikes were bottoming out. This added considerable weight to the end of the ramp and makes it difficult to raise manually. If you find a system that works please let me know! Steve
We haul a Scion IQ in the garage rather than towing. The ramp angle is a bit much, so we bought some 5" Race Ramps at Amazon (less than $100, SUPER light). They make a big difference.

A few weekends ago we parked near a grassy gully about 18" deep, so when the back wheels dropped in it the back edge of the OL was less than 12" from the ground. Driving up at that angle was a dream!

'Mark from Thor' mentioned in a video we could crank the front jacks down to help the ramp angle also.

There is a million $ FRED in the EU that has a low garage in the back, when I win the lottery that thing will be parked in my drive.

Vario Signature 1200
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	variomobil-signature-1200-motorhome-13.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	189269  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #5952
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We sometimes haul a Smart ForTwo in ours. The ramp is steep, but not too much for the Smart, so never desired to have supplimental ramps.

Long time member here Vicap, did the same while full timing in an Outlaw 3808.

Name:   attachment-33.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  37.3 KB
More pictures here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/i-lo...ml#post1029069

The front jacks can easily lift the front of the RV to improve the ramp angle...well worth it if desired.

And just so it is said...don't lift the tires off the ground. Because the jacks can easily lift the tires off the ground, it can happen if you don't take care to avoid it. The risk is that the jack mounts can be bent if there is some side load (lower on one side)...personal experience

Safe Outlaw Travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #5953

Thanks everyone for the info.. I have a Overhead Door Company in the area.. may look into stronger springs to supplement my existing system
Old 01-22-2018, 02:00 PM   #5954

Quote:
Originally Posted by EandGonthego View Post
Here's a couple more pictures of the lights. One has the LED light bar "on" and the other is with it off. It's hard to get a clear picture due to the glare. There also are two blue led strips installed in the bottom edge of the hood opening recess. They look pretty cool and are controlled by a separate switch so they aren't always one with the other lights.
I assume that don't work with driving... Blue lights are illegal in basically every state when driving. When parked, however, I'm not sure if it's legal or not. Still, even it legal when parked if a LEO saw them on you'd likely still get a ticket even though you might win you're in court.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:59 PM   #5955

Called Kidde today ref Fire ext on recall, they will be sending new ones. 855-271-0773. Ours were under the recall. Now to contract Thor ref steps and wipers.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:10 PM   #5956
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Recall

We got the Kidde fire extinguisher recall notice today...kinda' impressive.

For us, Kidde and Thor are recalling fire extinguishers that are over 10 years old.

Kerry (Badlands), What info did the rep need to send you new?
Thanks

And, while we are talking recalls...NOT A RECALL - BUT SHOULD BE.
If anyone still has the old style entry door latch/lock, you may want to change it. It can fail in the main bolt retractor...locking you inside the RV. God forbid if there was a fire
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_2639874_0_6966fa59d4017bcadf804d540f2ad343.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	189789
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...ml#post2639874
060-0650 Motor Home Entrance Door Hardware With Deadbolt | TriMark Corporation

Safe Outlaw Travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-23-2018, 10:46 PM   #5957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
We got the Kidde fire extinguisher recall notice today...kinda' impressive.

For us, Kidde and Thor are recalling fire extinguishers that are over 10 years old.

Kerry (Badlands), What info did the rep need to send you new?
Thanks

And, while we are talking recalls...NOT A RECALL - BUT SHOULD BE.
If anyone still has the old style entry door latch/lock, you may want to change it. It can fail in the main bolt retractor...locking you inside the RV. God forbid if there was a fire
Attachment 189789
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...ml#post2639874
060-0650 Motor Home Entrance Door Hardware With Deadbolt | TriMark Corporation

Safe Outlaw Travels
Model number, and serial number and call the number. Ours was recalled. They will Fede new one.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:16 PM   #5958

Hey guys just wanted to report that I have finally converted the loading ramp into a deck/patio on my 2011 3611. The brackets I used are from McMaster-Carr P/N 1030A11

I mounted the brackets using dimensions shown in photos earlier in this thread. The upper brackets mount to the ramp spring channels into steel and are very secure. The lower (ramp mounted) brackets unfortunately did not have anything very solid to mount to. The only options are to drill completely thru the door and use washers and nuts OR do what I did....I tapped the steel brackets themselves and ran 1/4-20 bolts thru them in 2 directions into the aluminum channels along the edges of the ramp. It basically acts as a claw. I made the cables from nylon sheathed 3/16 cable. I ran some basic calculations and everything should be good up to 1,000 lbs without yielding. This means no more than 3 adults on the ramp and once to be safe. I'm being very conservative. Last weekend I had me, my wife and our 2 kids in lawn chairs with a view of the lake from the deck, it was great.
True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:58 PM   #5959

There is another 2008 outlaw 3612 staying where I am currently. Met the guy while walking my dog.... Unfortunately without my cell phone. Wow you have to see the modifications this guy's made. The flooring is awesome, removed the booth seating and replaces seating w individual chairs, but retained the table. Switched out couch for an Ikea one. Painted walls. On the wood cabinetry, it's now a really modern cool looking gray color. He started explaining to me how he did it, but halfway through the various things he did I started looking at him crosseyed.... And had to inform him that I could use this information in writing so that I can hand it off to someone skilled in this area to do that I would pay. Lol. But the result is a really cool looking gray color on the original Cabinetry and what not.

And this was a 3612.... So in the garage he also went with the same wood flooring a darkish stain just like in the rest of the rig looked really good..... And had remove the bed much like I have, and configured everything to hold all things office like. So that wall where the bed was is an amazing office that even those in a brick-and-mortar office would be envious of.

Bottom line I really love how that whole rig looks now. And I want to emulate it in mine. Sorry I'm posting this without pictures. I will definitely go back tomorrow with my phone and snap some pics of all this loveliness. I also gave him the URL to both the forums here and hopefully he'll log in himself and do it.
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:58 PM   #5960
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bart (Cabbage),

Looking forward to seeing that mod'd 3612.

Outlaws are all about choices...that's the way it should be

Safe Outlaw Travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-29-2018, 08:45 AM   #5961

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
!

There was a posting by Rex a few pages ago, showing his front lighting additions. Looked very impressive.

Since it's still too cold to be working out on the Outlaw, I spend more time buying materials for upcoming projects...
I went ahead and bought a white LED light bar off EBay, but I'm now wondering about the legality of driving with it.
I saw the advisory about driving with blue lights, but I am recalling back in the 1970s/80s how Congress passed a law against QI headlights that were commonly used in Europe. The basis was that the LIGHTS WERE TOO BRIGHT! YES! Typical BS that flows from federal legislation based on pet-peeves and deep pockets.

Of course I am convinced that the motivation for such idiocy was all based on US corporations that did not have QI lights in their inventory, so they could not compete with the Euro lites.
Notice how after several years, the ads changed to promote brightness!

Well, I'm wondering if there are some similar anachronistic blue laws about LED light bars, and especially those that are centrally located?
Anyone aware of any?
Are these "off-road only"?
Old 01-29-2018, 11:03 AM   #5962

Intermittent Alternator Charging Dropout

Hey all... We’re having a problem with our 2013 Thor 3611 Outlaw engine alternator. It will intermittently stop charging the coach and house batteries both at idle, and while driving. It seems to occur most often when the vehicle has warmed up and been driving for 10+ minutes (meaning the alternator generally works fine immediately after start up, and will charge both the chassis and house batteries as expected) but at some point between 10 and 30 minutes into a drive, it’s as if the alternator has suddenly been disconnected and all charging to both banks of batteries stops. The problem initially manifested via the battery warning light on the dash intermittently illuminating, along with a “Low Voltage” warning light on the ultra level even with the engine running.

As a first step in diagnosis, I installed 2 voltage meters in the dash so I could see the status of both house and chassis batteries at a glance while in motion and after doing this I was able to confirm that the alternator would go from pushing out current to both banks of batteries, to suddenly cutting out for a period of time. Sometimes the charging would stop for 10 minutes, and sometimes it would last a much longer time and the batteries would drop into 11.7v territory (requiring a generator start while driving in order to feed power back into the system).

Given the seemingly random nature of the drop out, we initially thought it might be a bad cable connection somewhere in the charging system, but we were unable to find any loose cables so moved on from that idea. Next, given the nature of the drop out, we though it might be a bad diode or voltage regulator in the OEM Ford alternator in the chassis and replaced it, however that rather expensive intervention didn’t correct the issue.

Finally we tried replacing the Continuous Solenoid with a Cole Hersee 24213 (because it was apparent after installing the voltage meters that the relay had failed at some point, and both the house and chassis batteries were continuously connected as if the AUX switch were always pressed). And while this seemed to clear the problem up for one trip (and corrected the issue with the AUX switch) unfortunately the charging issue re-appared last evening on a drive back home. As before, alternator seems to cut out while driving, but this morning when the engine is started it charges as expected.

So… anyone out there have any ideas of what could be going on? I just found a link to a BCC (battery control center) recall from Thor this morning, but it doesn’t list the Outlaw as one of the effected models so not sure if it’s relevant or not. And further, does this seem like it could be a BCC related issue?

I’m somewhat at the end of my ideas here so any thoughts would be most appreciated!
pdx01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:29 AM   #5963
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Michael (PDX01),

If reading this correctly...
*The BCC has been making the cross-over as expected and allowing alternator charge to both battery banks.
*When the alternator is creating a high charge, everything seems to work as usual.

Common issue seems to be the alternator drop-out at lower amperage charge(?). Despite replacement, the intermittent problem returns.

I would...
First, check both battery cables on the chassis battery for a good/clean connection - remove and check both ends of both cables for hidden corrosion.
The idea here is that starting power could be jumping some corrosion, and the alternator starts strong, then drops under lower charge amperage.

Second, have the new alternator bench tested. I have had a replacement go bad due to a simple diode or relay in the regulator.

Third, remove the chassis battery cable from the BCC to isolate the chassis 12V system from the RV/House and check operation for just the chassis.
The idea here is that there is some problem with the circuits in the BCC causing an apparent alternator issue.

Finally, with everything connected, check the BCC's control of converter/charger power on shore/generator power.
The idea here is to see if there is some problem with the circuits in the BCC that only hit the alternator side of the system.

The order of these checks is not really important...just crossing problems off a list.

After that, it gets much more complicated with the charging system needing diagnostics.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-29-2018, 11:36 AM   #5964

Will do and thanks for such a detailed list of things to try
pdx01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor, damon, outlaw