Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2018, 06:37 PM   #6161

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Hmmm...Stow/Use switch in the Use position?

Charge the house batteries from what source (engine alternator or converter charger)?

Check battery output (confirms cabling and master breakers operating on new batteries)...do 12VDC items operate on battery only?

Check Converter/Charger output (confirms new converter configuration and operation)...can the converter power the 12VDC items on shore power?

The converter/charger is usually connected to the batteries by the main lines with the main breaker in-line. If the converter/charger is working, typically the breaker and Stow/Use switch would be the things that are not working.

The engine alternator feeds juice to the house system through the the Battery Control Center(BCC). One fuse out on the BCC will block that from working

Best luck
Lol.... we’ll thanks for the help that’s what it was someone hit the master switch beside the door !! .... I never have turned it off so I just forgot about checking that .... but oh well it was due for some batteries and maintenance ..... Thanks again so much even something so little has caused me so much headache ....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2018, 08:45 PM   #6162
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning83 View Post
Lol.... we’ll thanks for the help that’s what it was someone hit the master switch .. Thanks again so much even something so little has caused me so much headache ....
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback.
Been there...done that
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:15 AM   #6163

Engine work in Sac/Stockton

Hi everyone,
I know there are a couple Outlaws here in Northern CA. I'm hoping that someone has a recommendation for engine work around here? I'm currently suffering from the surge/misfire issue with the 8.1L engine. Hopefully not too severe, and I need a reliable place to do the work.

Thanks a million,
Mike
Old 10-30-2018, 05:47 PM   #6164

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmccallum View Post
Hi everyone,
I know there are a couple Outlaws here in Northern CA. I'm hoping that someone has a recommendation for engine work around here? I'm currently suffering from the surge/misfire issue with the 8.1L engine. Hopefully not too severe, and I need a reliable place to do the work.

Thanks a million,
Mike

Have you checked the plug wires? While I haven't had a problem (yet) there has always been a lot of chatter that the engine heat is tough on the plug wires. I know that Brazel's has a set that seem to be well liked:
https://www.brazelsrv.com/SPW8100-Ul...ark-Plug-Wires
Old 10-30-2018, 10:08 PM   #6165

How hard is this to do myself? Am I stupid to send this to a shop? 62k on this 2007.

We have our annual big trip to Florida starting Dec. 1, so I need to get this resolved by then. I also have a short trip planned the weekend of the 9th, so I could fix it myself (?) by then and would know how it responded on the 90 minute trip to Napa. I'm already planning on checking the MAF sensor, as it's clear that could be an issue also.

Thanks for the info!

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
Have you checked the plug wires? While I haven't had a problem (yet) there has always been a lot of chatter that the engine heat is tough on the plug wires. I know that Brazel's has a set that seem to be well liked:
https://www.brazelsrv.com/SPW8100-Ul...ark-Plug-Wires
Old 10-31-2018, 11:47 AM   #6166

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks a million,
Mike
I live in La Grange Ca. Sierra Heavy Duty works on our Outlaw.
18968 Waylon way Sonora Ca. 209 532 7994
Old 10-31-2018, 01:03 PM   #6167

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
How hard is this to do myself? Am I stupid to send this to a shop? 62k on this 2007.

We have our annual big trip to Florida starting Dec. 1, so I need to get this resolved by then. I also have a short trip planned the weekend of the 9th, so I could fix it myself (?) by then and would know how it responded on the 90 minute trip to Napa. I'm already planning on checking the MAF sensor, as it's clear that could be an issue also.

Thanks for the info!

Mike

The plug wires are not difficult to change, just gotta reach down in from the top to do the work.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #6168
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
New factory video on the new loftless 38MB (for Massive Bedrooms?)

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-outlaw-class-a-38mb-floor-plan.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	225284
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-11-2018, 10:39 AM   #6169

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Thanks for the info!

Mike
Hey Mike thought I would circle back and see if you had any luck getting this figured out?
Old 11-12-2018, 10:31 PM   #6170

yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
Hey Mike thought I would circle back and see if you had any luck getting this figured out?
Thanks for checking in! I actually swapped out the plugs and wires last week. I went from underneath on the passenger side, but from the top on the driver's side. My arms are still bruised, and my knuckles have no skin left. But it's all good. Cured the problem for sure. The plugs were way past EOL and one top had cracked off.

Tomorrow I am taking her in to get the belt replaced along with the radiator hoses. I have a nasal whine coming from the engine too, I'm thinking that's a bad bearing on a pulley.

Cheers
Mike
Old 11-13-2018, 12:52 PM   #6171

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Thanks for checking in! I actually swapped out the plugs and wires last week. I went from underneath on the passenger side, but from the top on the driver's side. My arms are still bruised, and my knuckles have no skin left. But it's all good. Cured the problem for sure. The plugs were way past EOL and one top had cracked off.

Tomorrow I am taking her in to get the belt replaced along with the radiator hoses. I have a nasal whine coming from the engine too, I'm thinking that's a bad bearing on a pulley.

Cheers
Mike

I am so glad to hear that you cured the problem! Circle back and keep me posted on the whine, always good to bank information if something happens to our Workhorse in the future.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:38 PM   #6172

whine

So I just picked up the coach today. It cost us about $1k for a safety inspection, new serpentine belt, new tensioner belt, one pulley and a NEW ALTERNATOR. Big groan on that last one, but it was indeed the source of the whining noise I had mentioned previously. We had a lot of electrical and battery issues in the past year, and this is probably the last piece to that puzzle (we hope!). The alternator was 1/2 the cost. Now the coach is MUCH quieter, or at least not nearly as annoying to listen to.

I had the work done at Brannon Tire on Wilson Way in Stockton. It took a long time for them to get to it because their Chevy engine guy was sick for a few days. I'm really happy with their service and the cost. They put the coach up on jack stands and pulled off the wheels and spent a whole day going over it before they did any real work.

Cheers
Mike
Old 11-21-2018, 07:21 PM   #6173
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mike,
Could you share the part number/maker of the Alternator.

Last time I checked the serpentine belt, the alternator did not look like anything special...just like a pick-up.
But obviously I'm wrong

Stats say it is a 145Amp GM unit part #08400250
Ultra RV says $336
But Amazon has the same part number from $154 to as low as $126
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-21-2018, 07:37 PM   #6174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Mike,
Could you share the part number/maker of the Alternator.

Last time I checked the serpentine belt, the alternator did not look like anything special...just like a pick-up.
But obviously I'm wrong
I'm not sure 100%, but I think it is the same one that Ultra RV lists ($336.49, so a little under $500 for part plus install makes sense): https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Work...enerator-(New). I did have a couple discussions with the service advisor about how this was not the standard truck model, and mentioned this part. They did have to send the old one back over before they could get the new one.

Cheers
Mike

Tags
thor, damon, outlaw