Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #6189
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The "Maintenence Charge" level on the OEM Converter is not a true "Float."
There's big differences in what a Float Charge is. A Float actually draws and charges in cycles.

Don't get me wrong, the OEM 3 stage charger is very good. But a Float charge is different and can actually provide increased life of a battery over a standard charger.

Also, the "salesman switch" does not completely remove all draws from the house battery bank. Things that still draw from the bank when "disconnected" are the switch itself (a solenoid) and sometimes things like the LP and CO alarms.

To provide the BEST storage environment for unused batteries; fill all cells; isolate; and apply a float charger.

Safe Outlaw Travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 02:42 PM   #6190

Good discussion. OK, how about if I do as Steve suggested:
Plug into shore power to run fridge.
Disconnect the neg battery terminal from house batteries to isolate.
But then hook up the trickle charger to the dash 12v terminal by the driver
(charges chassis battery).

And then to charge the house battery bank periodically, can I move the trickle charger to the passenger side 12v terminal, but I would have to unplug the shore power cord, and reattach the neg battery terminal?
Old 01-11-2019, 03:21 PM   #6191

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/charge-wizard/

I have this convertor/ charger PD9280

I have had the rv for just over 3 years now and have always left it plugged in without issue. According to this link, Im good doing that with this unit, am I inncorrect? We use the RV regularly and I would hate to have to do all that cable changing and charger hook up every time I get it out and put it away.

The converter is putting out 15 VDC so I am going to replace it. Im wondering if this unit isnt good is there another brand that has a better charging system? After reading the specs on mine I would think it is a "floating" style charger as well though
Old 01-15-2019, 04:16 PM   #6192

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazydave01 View Post
https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/charge-wizard/

I have this convertor/ charger PD9280

I have had the rv for just over 3 years now and have always left it plugged in without issue. According to this link, Im good doing that with this unit, am I inncorrect? We use the RV regularly and I would hate to have to do all that cable changing and charger hook up every time I get it out and put it away.

The converter is putting out 15 VDC so I am going to replace it. Im wondering if this unit isnt good is there another brand that has a better charging system? After reading the specs on mine I would think it is a "floating" style charger as well though

I have that pendant also and until I installed the solar it worked very well to maintain the batteries.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:05 PM   #6193
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Factory walk-thru of the new 38MB from the Tampa SuperShow:

Really shows the room over the garage gained by no loft.

Still thinking "real Outlaws have lofts." But this will surely appeal to lots of folks that out of ignorance, might poo-poo the loft.

Safe Outlaw Travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-19-2019, 06:31 PM   #6194

2015 Thor Outlaw check it out
2015 Thor Outlaw 37LS - RV & Motorhome Classifieds
Old 01-27-2019, 12:17 PM   #6195

LP capacity

the person who just filled my propane tank said it took 20 gallons and was completely empty. 32 gallons is stamped on the tank. Does anyone what they really hold?
Old 01-27-2019, 12:44 PM   #6196
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many Outlaws have "100 pound" liquid propane tanks.

Because LP tanks are not filled to the top like liquid gas or Diesel (liquefied under pressure), there is always some unused space in the tank...so 32Gal would never be loaded for fear of expansion explosion.

100 pounds typically equals 25gal if fully/totally/really-really empty.

20gal would be an average refill.

Safe Outlaw Travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-29-2019, 04:12 PM   #6197

Our 08 Outlaw takes 25 gal's when empty..

Bob
hedhunter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:06 AM   #6198

thanks

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:46 PM   #6199
Dry

Damon Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The real question is: Will you share the pot of gold with the rest of us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
[IMG]http[/IMG]

Yeah Mike, looks like your satellite television is receiving some rather direct programming!
Old 02-23-2019, 09:25 PM   #6200

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwex3808mvr View Post
I've started once again getting things ready for Spring/Summer 2018.
Once again (3rd time since 2014) I found that the relay that ties the house and chasis batteries together for charge when one set or the other reaches about 13.3 volts...and separates them once voltage drops below 12.6 or 12.7 on either set would not separate if together or if charge came up on one set would not tie them together.
The relay in question on this is the other relay in Kim/Steve's post.
I've been replacing them with a NAPA (Echlin) ST85. Almost 60.00 with tax!
Decided to pull one apart to find the problem and found that it is simple corrosion of the copper contacts on all of them...probably due to being on the very front firewall & in the weather, as well as no sealing on relay from moisture such as rain/high humidity in the areas I go such as Ohio & Oshkosh and the internal sparking that normally occurs when the contacts join.
Disassembling the crimp on the top of the relay gives access inside and scotch brite easily cleaned the contacts to like new. So I reinstalled the original and have two spares now.
The pictures show the greenish film on the copper contacts, the cleaned plunger and contacts and the reassembled relay.

On another note, the generator started not working on the inside start stop switch...but worked fine from the generator.
Discovered that to be the switch itself sluggish in the snap action of the switch itself. Some contact cleaner sprayed so as to get under rocker and onto shaft and working its way into switch loosened hardened grease etc and all working fine now.
Thanks so much for posting this. My house batteries stopped charging from the engine running. This did the trick! However - the steps no longer retract automatically when the engine starts
Wes847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:10 PM   #6201

I am second owner of a 2016.5 Outlaw. Having continuous issues with the wipers (in the rain, they rotate past the limit and twitch). I tried sealing the wiring loom connectors, no luck.

What’s the current consensus on how to address this?

1. Fix it myself, how?
2. Pay service center to fix it? Is this a full replace? Or what parts need to be replaced?
3. Or is there a recall or way to get Thor to fix this? Who should I contact? Thor directly? Dealer?
jpzeroday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:46 PM   #6202

We had the same problem in a rain storm. The wipers overtraveled and locked in place. This also caused damage to the engine cowl. In regards to Thor warranty, let’s just say Thor is being Thor.
I plan to contact the National DOT/NTSB to get a recall process started, but just haven’t had time. Currently I just have the passenger side arm removed.

I also found that Thor had sink drywall screws into the wiper arm frame which threw off the geometry. Tom Overton in “Thor Customer Service” couldn’t grasp the issue. If anyone else has gotten through his thick skull to start a recall above just retorqueing the wiper arm nut, please share.

Tags
thor, damon, outlaw